The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL appears to be considering Atlanta and Houston for expansion

Rate this topic

52 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Only team to thrash the vaunted Canadiens .. time and time again.

That team moved to Colo and won Cups.

But I loved how they trashed the ftinnningcxking 'Abs.

Hated that team for over 60 years now!

(My older brother had Les 'Abs on the old metal board game and I had TO; which I loved until Bobby Orr; then, it was all over.

I loved Bobby Orr; still do probably.

They only won Cups (ignoring their most recent win) back then because the Habs were stupid enough to hire Tremblay as head coach (who left Roy in there to embarrass him).  That led to Roy demanding to be traded (where he went to the Avs).  

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They only won Cups (ignoring their most recent win) back then because the Habs were stupid enough to hire Tremblay as head coach (who left Roy in there to embarrass him).  That led to Roy demanding to be traded (where he went to the Avs).  

Beg to disagree; that was one fine team; check out the roster when you have a moment "Newbie".

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Unlikely.  If anything, Buttman would be pushing for Quebec to buy an expansion franchise and then stack the deck so that it fails giving him justification to move it to a more "tv friendly" market, like Portland, Oregon.

Yeah more money to be made (for existiing owners - guys who "own" Buttman) via buying a new franchise vs relocation.  Likely more support from the players as well as it means more jobs for their members with a new team vs moving an existing team.  I'm unsure how revenue sharing works (or if it exists) as that could dilute how much PPV/television revenue occurs with more teams.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Devron said:

The need to add more playoff spots if they expand again. 10 spots in each conference? 

I doubt it tbh, they like 16 with 32 I don't reckon 34 would shift things much. I don't see them wanting to have to add rounds or shuffle things around to much outside of maybe going back to the old 1 v 8 format. 

It'd also make the playoff push more interesting with more teams in the mix, more teams vying for the same number of spots. 

36 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Third times the charm.

Arizona's got nine lives whereas Atlanta has resurrection powers 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

TNT, where the NHL has a deal, is based in Atlanta. Atlanta could use a team. That said, I think it would be smarter for the NHL to put a team in Austin, Texas before going back to Atlanta. Austin is the fastest growing city in the US and there's no major sports team there besides a MLS team... would be a great way to add another NHL team in Texas without having to deal with the competition in Houston.

Seems like the Coyotes moving to Atlanta may be on the table.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Yep. Idc they have a fancy new stadium being built, having an NHL team play on a college campus is absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing. 

Folks in Tempe are voting in a referendum in May. It's possible the citizens still say no.

• Like 1
  • elephant 1

12 minutes ago, Quantum said:

TNT, where the NHL has a deal, is based in Atlanta. Atlanta could use a team. That said, I think it would be smarter for the NHL to put a team in Austin, Texas before going back to Atlanta. Austin is the fastest growing city in the US and there's no major sports team there besides a MLS team... would be a great way to add another NHL team in Texas without having to deal with the competition in Houston.

Atlanta RoadRunners? :lol:

Beep! Beep!

15 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Could be the NHL cutting their losses, you've gotta think they'd have a number of backup plans in place. 

But yeah, I think it's only a matter of time before we see a second team in Texas. They've certainly got the population to support one and they'd have a natural rivalry with Dallas. 

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Folks in Tempe are voting in a referendum in May. It's possible the citizens still say no.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tempe says no, I don't reckon most folks in Arizona really give a shit about hockey. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, MattWN. said:

Would assume it would be a relocation.. a 33 team league is a bit of an issue for scheduling and seeding formats. 

Unless they wanna add another team in Arizona, as that market is clearly sustainable, and then add Atlanta as the 34.

Or add Houston and Atlanta. 

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's because of this:
image.png.2843fbcd56f5c938c269b2ff4da4ce0c.png

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_North_America_by_media_market

Aside from Houston (which kind of has the Dallas Stars in their state), Atlanta is the only other top-10 television market (based on ratings) without a team.  It's also why Buttman will never give up Phoenix (ie. AZ) as a team venue.

Other highlighted markets are ones where there isn't a team within a couple of hours driving distance away.  You're more likely to get a team in San Diego before Quebec City, the Maritimes, or (heaven forbid!) Kelowna.  San f**king Diego!  Where the only f**king ice you can find is in your f**king drink!  And even that f**king ice won't last more than a few minutes!  :picard:

Kelowna?

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It was floated as a suggestion by another poster in one of the other threads - how there's sizeable population there that would be willing to support an NHL team.  I dunno, there are many other cities in Canada that would come first for getting a team, but it would certainly reduce the Canucks' travel distance every season if there was an NHL team in Kelowna.

Kelowna is a very small city. There is absolutely ZERO chance for even an AHL franchise there. Not in 1000 years would an NHL team be in Kelowna. 

6 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Other highlighted markets are ones where there isn't a team within a couple of hours driving distance away.  You're more likely to get a team in San Diego before Quebec City, the Maritimes, or (heaven forbid!) Kelowna.  San f**king Diego!  Where the only f**king ice you can find is in your f**king drink!  And even that f**king ice won't last more than a few minutes!  :picard:

San Diego has a hockey team. The San Diego Gulls. This dope plays there .......

Olli Juolevi | San Diego Gulls

• elephant 1