The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL appears to be considering Atlanta and Houston for expansion

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Bits and pieces have been popping up over the last few days and it's caught me off guard. Could the NHL actually be considering giving Atlanta third shot? 

Could be nothing but it's a rather random bit to have popped up. 

I mean, if the NHL is considering Atlanta for a third time, then the NBA can give Vancouver a second chance

THIRD TIME. I mean, c'mon, man, if the first two times don't work, it ain't working. Atlanta didn't even know they lost an NHL team the second time around. Did they care the first time the Flames left for Calgary?

the Atlanta: Third Tries

-Strike Threes

-Nordiques ( makes moving them back to Quebec even easier )

-???

if they add them, then they have to add a team out west too.

probably Houston, but Portland, Kansas City, maybe even Salt Lake City or Buttman's other idea.... Mexico City

17 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Probably the only team where you can stick a player there and don't play a single game if on ltir for example 

But, teams don't tank, right Gary? Look at what the Hawks have done leading up to the trade deadline, and going into this season.

14 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It was floated as a suggestion by another poster in one of the other threads - how there's sizeable population there that would be willing to support an NHL team.  I dunno, there are many other cities in Canada that would come first for getting a team, but it would certainly reduce the Canucks' travel distance every season if there was an NHL team in Kelowna.

There were questions that arose with Winnipeg's population when they got their team back. Winnipeg metro is over 4x the size of the Kelowna metro. So, I really don't see it happening to be honest. Even Victoria, which is half the population of Winnipeg, is more likely in my opinion.

I could see an AHL team there maybe though.

Edited by The Lock

• AngryElf changed the title to [Weekes] NHL to Expand to Houston and Atlanta
8 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Uhh, NHL is going downhill fast. We don't have the talent for more teams. Like is there even 32 top 4 RHD in the whole league?

And Quebec got the short end of the stick again! Throw Canada a bone at least!

One reason 

gary-bettman.jpg

And we'll never get a Canadian expansion as long as he's in charge 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

If they do up it to 34 teams, look at the NHL drastically changing the playoff format. There are some good teams that won't make the playoffs this year and I doubt Bettman likes that for league revenue. I think a play-in round with an extra training camp for the top teams is most likely coming. 

Edited by AngryElf
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Not sure how Atlanta will help with that if they can't attract fans themselves 

No I mean Vegas and Seattle can help pay for Atlanta and Houston when the ultimately start bleeding money from the rest of the league.

2 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

If they do up it to 34 teams, look at the NHL drastically changing the playoff format. There are some good teams that won't make the playoffs this year and I doubt Bettman likes that for league revenue. I think a play-in round with an extended training camp for the top teams is most likely coming. 

Yea I wouldn’t mind play ins if they’re gonna have that many teams.

1-6 in each conference make it and the next 4 teams have a 3 games series for the final two spots.

20 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

One reason 

gary-bettman.jpg

And we'll never get a Canadian expansion as long as he's in charge 

Winnipeg did get their team back during his tenure, but the Nordiques should be

one of the first, to get their team back. 

• Like 1