The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL appears to be considering Atlanta and Houston for expansion

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

It didn’t work the first 2 times in Atlanta. Are they brain dead? Football is the only popular sport in Georgia.

The reason the second time flopped was the owner only bought the team to own the Hawks. He put no marketing into the Thrashers, bare minimum money into development , or office staff. Phillps Arena was similar to the Suns arena, not too hockey friendly. 

I never realized until looking into it this last year, how many things the owner there fumbled or straight up ignored to completely put fans off the team.

On 9/12/2023 at 6:14 PM, DeNiro said:

Expanding too fast and watering down the league so we all get a worse product.

Theres a reason he was ousted as NBA commissioner…

Bettman was never the NBA commissioner, he was third in charge in being the NBA's general counsel and senior vice president.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050524103524/http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCM/is_8_31/ai_102103257

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 6:14 PM, DeNiro said:

Expanding too fast and watering down the league so we all get a worse product.

Theres a reason he was ousted as NBA commissioner…

our sports best player makes 15m a year, the NBA's best player makes 52 million. Bettman has in my opinion been a colossal failure as NHL commish; with one exception, the one that keeps him employed: the owners are making bank with the CBA and terms of the deal the NHL operates under. 

sure put a new team in Atlanta.

Betcha dollars to donuts it'll be moved to Quebec within 10 years. That seems to be the only way that Bettman will allow Canadian expansion.

If he REALLY wanted more teams in Canada he would start with Quebec and then quickly add Hamilton(area). Those are the only areas that could/would support NHL teams. I know, the Leafs would bock at Hamilton, but they all ready have 20+ thousand waiting list for season tickets so you can't tell me that Hamilton wouldn't sell out fast. 

• 2 weeks later...

John Shannon mentioned recently that he'd been told that the next expansion will be by four teams, not two. He listed Houston, Salt Lake City, Atlanta and Quebec City. Seems a little far-fetched to me, but Shannon has solid connections in the hockey world.