The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 08, 2023 | 7:00 pm PT | Sportsnet Pacific

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

33 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don’t have a problem with that at the end of the day. I might want more active roster management to maximize the draft position but it is what it is.

Same. I would have thought that AIlvin would have tried to move more players to strengthen their draft position, but once they traded for Hronek, it became clear that there was a different idea in mind.

I have to give the nod to management as they weigh the possibilities and outcomes. Of course I remember when the Canucks were at #3 and the lottery dropped them to #5 and Joulevi was picked. So there are no guarantees.

True. Oh man, Olli. Yikes!

I might want #1 and Bedard as it would be a absolute game changer for the franchise. I also realize the odds are very much against it. The team will finish where it does and I will watch that lottery ball in baited anticipation of a Bedard miracle. Dare to dream. 
Tank on!

Same here. Getting the lottery luck for a change would be amazing, but it's also such a crapshoot. Hope springs eternal though. I'm still hoping to draft as high as possible, as I know it would benefit the team immensely. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Longggggg time coming. This is huge for the franchise, they needed to start using more resources on developing young talent....been a giant hole in this franchise for as along as I can remember. 

To think it took nearly 50 years for it to happen is crazy.  I think we will start to see dividends as early as next year.  Even the change in Pods game is already noticable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Quint said:

Man, seeing the Sedins out there brings a smile to my face every time.

I sleep a little easier knowing these guys and steamer are still big parts of the organization. 

36 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Longggggg time coming. This is huge for the franchise, they needed to start using more resources on developing young talent....been a giant hole in this franchise for as along as I can remember. 

Well as long as the previous management team (excluding goalies of course).  Nothing to develop under the Gillis regime granted so they get an incomplete grade.:lol:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

So if we don’t play them top minutes every night they’ll ask for a trade?

Honestly I’m so tired of this. You don’t pander to two players cause you’re afraid to lose them.

If they’re committed to this team they’ll play however many minutes the coach gives them. The worst thing you can do is put players above the team.

And if they’re that on the fence about being here you trade them. We need players that want to play here for this team. Not ones that are only invested if they get everything they want.

That being said I don’t think they’re those types of players so I’m not worried about that. Canucks fans seem to have this weird paranoia that players always want out of here. It’s kind of weird.

I actually think its quite the opposite, these players want to win at all costs. Not sure we have had that type of player around here lately.

7 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

He's growing on me..

Honestly I knew nothing about Tocchet as a coach other than the fact that he coached in Arizona and had a pretty poor record there, and I heard he had some kind of disagreement with OEL. Based solely on that, I had him pegged as kind of a jerk and a mediocre coach at best. 

The more I hear him talk, and the more I see the team playing harder, smarter, and better defensively, the more I like him. He's not the most eloquent guy, but I think he's got really good hockey sense - he knows what it takes to win in the NHL and it seems to be translating to his coaching. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Honestly I knew nothing about Tocchet as a coach other than the fact that he coached in Arizona and had a pretty poor record there, and I heard he had some kind of disagreement with OEL. Based solely on that, I had him pegged as kind of a jerk and a mediocre coach at best. 

The more I hear him talk, and the more I see the team playing harder, smarter, and better defensively, the more I like him. He's not the most eloquent guy, but I think he's got really good hockey sense - he knows what it takes to win in the NHL and it seems to be translating to his coaching. 

If I was to put a few sentences together on how I feel, This would be it..nailed it.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Who really wants an eloquent coach? 

2 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Toronto, Buffalo, Arizona, Edmonton have all had high picks, even first overall. They are not better than us. It is the management team building a well-rounded team not a draft pick.

That is what this fanbase does not get. Bedard will not win us the cup any more than McDavid will make Edmonton win. It is not basketball.

Bang On FaninMex! I feel way more confident having all of this experience around this team now. The management, the coaches have won before and so this is way different then what we have had in the past. Willy D and Green were not what we needed and I am so glad we are passed that. 

We have NHL experience and more importantly, we have Stanley Cup experience.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I’d be more than happy with any of the projected top 5.

Bedard would give us a potential generational talent that would give us one of the most potent 1-2 in the league.

Fantilli would be the quintessential second line center behind Petey and might even make us a better overall team. He’s that great mix of size and two way ability and snarl.

Carlsson similar to Fantilli would give us a good balance of two way ability and size down the middle and the Swedish factor makes it a perfect fit.

And then Michkov and Benson are elite in their own right. Definitely a tier lower and the size factor could be an issue. Even though Bedard is smaller I feel like he’ll have no problem adjusting. These two might.

I think even at 6 or 7 Michkov could very well fall. That’s why staying in the top 5 is key. That’s who my realistic hope would be if we don’t win the lotto.

.....But what about our defensive issues? Are they going to magically go away with a top 5 pick you mention above? ::D