The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] March 19, 2023 - Vancouver Canucks @ Anaheim Quackers - 5PM PST / 8PM EST - The Flying Feathers Cup

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

3 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

This is true. Lol!

I’ve never seen people get so worked up & involved in something they have no control over. 

I predict that we'll pass the Sabres, Red Wings and the Senators in the overall standings before the season is over. Plenty more fun to be had!!

Go Canucks, Go!!!:towel:

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Nah, let them seethe. It's fun to poke them. 

You really think I’m seething. :lol:

It really doesn’t affect me as much as you think. Just tired of watching the same formula get repeated again and again.

Hoping to see a championship before I die like everyone else. I hope I’m wrong but I’ve watched this play out enough times that I’m pretty confident I’m not.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I predict that we'll pass the Sabres, Red Wings and the Senators in the overall standings before the season is over. Plenty more fun to be had!!

Go Canucks, Go!!!:towel:

Very possible! They better buckle up for the ride. 

Dinosaur Reaction GIF

• Like 1

Great job OP.   But with the "greatest hits" ... sure from the Sedin era.    Would have been nice to see some Peca stuff, Ohlund stuff, even Jovo stuff  more Linden, ... Bure makes the cut but he wasn't a hit machine.    Sandlak.   Snepsts.   Butcher, Momesso,  - Babych probably the best reverse hit ever on Probert.   Barely scratching the surface if Ballard is the on half the tape. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

Just now, OldFaithfulCap said:

The longer you watch this team, the more numb you get.

That's part of the cycle too.

Yep 100%.

It’s cute watching people be so optimistic at the end of every season. I was there once but you can only rinse and repeat so many times.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Fake joy out of watching other people wanting their team to improve?

Just because they believe in a different way of getting there you’re gonna antagonize them?

It is a combination of things to get to the end goal and improve! 

The problem is most “tank” people think tanking and getting a high draft pick is the one and only way. It’s not, it’s only one part of the puzzle. 

Then when things aren’t going their way, they constantly throw a tantrum. 

Edited by 88Canuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Very possible! They better buckle up for the ride. 

Dinosaur Reaction GIF

It's very possible that the team finishes around 85 points if they continue their level of play until the end of the season. Hell, they might even be better once Hronek finally suits up. 

Better start looking towards the middle of the first round, boys. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 88Canuck said:

It is a combination of things to get to the end goal and improve! 

The problem is most “tank” people think tanking and getting a high draft pick is the one and only way. It’s not, it’s only one part of the puzzle. 

Then when things aren’t going their way, they constantly throw a tantrum. 

There are many ways to build a true contender. It is incredibly hard to build one without 2 top 10 draft picks. I posted about it a while back and Boston was the only winner in the past 20 years without them. The other factor is, the Canucks have tried a lot of the other options, they rarely embraced the full tank so that's why people are so keen on it. It's not a tantrum it was just frustrating to see the Canucks tanking and then they go back to their usual retool ways. 

I can see both sides of it, I get why people want the wins and they view these little growth spurts as a precursor of more. It's a fine and valid view which will be proven out next season. It's also valid to look at the Canucks over the past 20 years and see that they are overdue for a real overhaul and a reset, including some tank years.

In any case i hate the piling on here at times.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Fake joy out of watching other people wanting their team to improve?

Just because they believe in a different way of getting there you’re gonna antagonize them?

Some of us have just decided that there is no point putting any emotional investment into an outcome that isn't going to come to pass. There is a very real possibility that pick is going to get moved in the offseason/draft anyway, so all this angst over one or two spots in the draft just isn't productive when the return is not going to be materially any different. The Canucks have chosen their direction, it may not be what a lot of us as fans wanted but it is something that we need to accept. A month ago heck even a week ago I was all on board with the tank but I have come to terms that what I wanted simply isn't going to happen. What you want isn't what you get in life, you can either choose to accept it with grace or piss and moan about it. I am likely not going to see this team win a Cup just like I am not going to be marrying a super model. C'est la vie.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Some of us have just decided that there is no point putting any emotional investment into an outcome that isn't going to come to pass. There is a very real possibility that pick is going to get moved in the offseason/draft anyway, so all this angst over one or two spots in the draft just isn't productive when the return is not going to be materially any different. The Canucks have chosen their direction, it may not be what a lot of us as fans wanted but it is something that we need to accept. A month ago heck even a week ago I was all on board with the tank but I have come to terms that what I wanted simply isn't going to happen. What you want isn't what you get in life, you can either choose to accept it with grace or piss and moan about it. I am likely not going to see this team win a Cup just like I am not going to be marrying a super model. C'est la vie.

Every unintended loss gets us closer to a higher lottery position and the chance that they won't trade it. Nothing wrong with hoping for that though agreed management has made up it's mind.

46 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Has me wondering too. Got to think Pearson might be done. Poolman is done. Ferland will be off the books. Boeser could have a new home. 

OEL is a question mark, what they do with him.

They probably keep OEL for another season at least and just buy out Garland 

2 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

There are many ways to build a true contender. It is incredibly hard to build one without 2 top 10 draft picks. I posted about it a while back and Boston was the only winner in the past 20 years without them. The other factor is, the Canucks have tried a lot of the other options, they rarely embraced the full tank so that's why people are so keen on it. It's not a tantrum it was just frustrating to see the Canucks tanking and then they go back to their usual retool ways. 

I can see both sides of it, I get why people want the wins and they view these little growth spurts as a precursor of more. It's a fine and valid view which will be proven out next season. It's also valid to look at the Canucks over the past 20 years and see that they are overdue for a real overhaul and a reset, including some tank years.

In any case i hate the piling on here at times.

Fair points! I should have been clearer. When I say tantrum, it’s more about 2-3 people actually acting like toddlers and basically throwing a tantrum and posting the same whining post 10-15 in a PGT. 

It’s also the same people ignoring the fact that there has already been other changes, which again is all part of building & improving. 

If that all makes sense. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

They probably keep OEL for another season at least and just buy out Garland 

I think Garland still has enough value to trade for something tangible, assuming we retain. I don't think a Garland buyout is likely when OEL likely to be bought out at some point over the next few years. 

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's very possible that the team finishes around 85 points if they continue their level of play until the end of the season. Hell, they might even be better once Hronek finally suits up. 

Better start looking towards the middle of the first round, boys. 

Indeedy! Of course it’s nice to have the highest pick possible, but again, it’s only part of the puzzle. Some are ignoring that some of the puzzle pieces have already been put in place.