The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] March 19, 2023 - Vancouver Canucks @ Anaheim Quackers - 5PM PST / 8PM EST - The Flying Feathers Cup

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  Reinbacher would be great, but I think he goes in the top 10.  If we fall out of the top 10 and Michkov is also gone then I can see us trading the pick to try and get one more RHD.  If we are in the 6-9 position, then I think we draft Reinbacher if he is available.  He will be 19 in the fall (late birthday) and is eligible to go to Abby right away.  So he could be ready for the NHL in 2 years.  If we can add Livingstone then I think he could step in right away on the 3rd pairing.  We would then need to add a couple veterans to fill the gap until these kid are ready.  Having a right side of Hronek, Reinbacher and Livingstone would basically complete our D...

We've traded so many picks already, and with last year's pick trending downward already, I think they're unlikely to move another 1st, let alone a 1st in the top half of the first round. 

33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea some people take it too far, but I see alot of it as just venting. If you can’t vent here where are you gonna vent?

I personally think one of the missing pieces for us is another elite center. Maybe it ends up being another right shot D. It’s gonna be tough to see us miss out on all those top centers at the top of the draft though.

If we end up 9th or 10th and grab a top D I’ll be happy. But it still won’t change my belief that we need another center. That player will be hard to find outside the draft.

I think that the Dman will be the harder piece to find. 

I just want us to lose enough games so we get a chance to grab Reinbacher at 7th overall. Otherwise it will be fingers crossed to get a center prospect. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Age catches up to everyone, but JT is playing great right now. 

He actually reminds me a lot of Getzlaf except slightly less skilled and slightly smaller. Getz had lost all his speed in the end but was still efficient. He played until he was 35. 

JT's contract runs until he is 36. 

"Age will". Again, someone speaking like they have a crystal ball and can determine the future.

Some 35 year olds are fitter than they've ever been...especially when you lead a healthy lifestyle. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He actually reminds me a lot of Getzlaf except slightly less skilled and slightly smaller. Getz had lost all his speed in the end but was still efficient. He played until he was 35. 

Yeah, only time will tell, but he plays hard and thankfully is healthy, the majority of the time. 

He'll be fine. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like you would like to see us rebuild. Is your view is our current core isn’t good enough (even with an excellent supporting cast) to win? 
I think our core is good enough to win. We need to continue to retool the supporting cast. 

No.  There are a few good pieces there - for sure - that DO NOT need to be traded but there are far too many players that MUST be jettisoned from this roster for the good of the franchise.  Unfortunately, we have several really, really bad contracts that will be very painful to move unless Magmt decides to go into a "FULL REBUILD" mode, which could open up several possibilities to speed-up the process but it's pretty clear now after the Hornek trade that JR was just B.S.'ing us when he said we needed "Major Surgery" because all I've seen so far is Horval and a couple of "plumbers" be moved.   At that rate it will take us another decade to see tangible results - if ever.

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

37 but you’re right he can still be effective. But more in a supporting role. Still need those elite players to drive play.

Ideally you want a succession plan for him sooner than later. That’s how a team keeps their window open.

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think that the Dman will be the harder piece to find. 

I just want us to lose enough games so we get a chance to grab Reinbacher at 7th overall. Otherwise it will be fingers crossed to get a center prospect. 

I’ll be happy if Reinbacher is that guy. Time will tell I guess.

Still holding out hope we can somehow win and jump to that second spot. Fantilli or Carlsson would compliment this core so well.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

One more time.....................

FACT:   Go back 45 years and only two teams have won the Stanley Cup without a top-three draft pick on their roster.

Stop dreaming.........!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/can-win-stanley-cup-without-top-3-draft-pick/

Also, Petey is basically a top 2 pick in the draft.  Petey and Makar are the top 2 players, worst case you can say he is 3 behind Heiskanen.  So, who cares where he was drafted.  He's a top 3 talent.  Is it the Hockey Gods somehow telling you that without that top 3 technical pick we can't win a cup?

Also, we had a top 3 pick on the team in 1994 and we still lost.  We had two top 3 picks in 2011 and we still lost.  So, what difference would it make if we got another one this year?  You think the Hockey Gods have forgiven us?  Heck, we even got a top 2 pick in 1970.  The Hockey Gods hated us back then too...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I’ll be happy if Reinbacher is that guy. Time will tell I guess.

Still holding out hope we can somehow win and jump to that second spot. Fantilli or Carlsson would compliment this core so well.

That would be the dream but I'm not holding my breath haha 

I'm not paying much attention to the odds of moving up, just hoping that we can be low enough to grab the next tier of players after the big four.  

Looks like there are 3-4 players that come in right after Bedard, Michkov, Carlsson, and Fantilli. 

Walking away with Will Smith would be huge. Even Benson looks like an elite two-way forward although he projects as a winger. 

6 minutes ago, singing chef said:

...... and here I thought I was signing in to a game day thread which would provide input for the match this evening.   Guess I was mistaken......................

This time of year every thread is a tank thread. There always seems to be one topic that absolutely dominates the entire board for a certain period of time before moving on to the next thing. Right now it's tanking, before that it was JT Miller, before that it was Bruce, etc etc etc...

10 minutes ago, singing chef said:

...... and here I thought I was signing in to a game day thread which would provide input for the match this evening.   Guess I was mistaken......................

Nothing to debate, the Canucks are going to annihilate this sorry Ducks team. Wish we still had Schenn so he could go after that punk Zegras.

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Please tell me the player that the Edmonton Oilers of the 1980's drafted with a top 3 pick.  I'll wait...

Also, Brad Stuart for Detroit Red Wings in 2008?  LMFAO!!!  Like he was the difference maker on that team!!!  :lol:

Only thing Horton did, was wake the Bruins up thanks to Rome.   Seguin ... well Marchand did more. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Basically, we have our core in place which are the hardest players to acquire, Hronek being the last piece to that puzzle.  Now we need to acquire 5-6 complimentary pieces.

Most of those pieces can be acquired through free agency, but I would expect at least one trade as well.  Maybe our 2023 1st is on the table to get one more core piece.  With 7 core pieces I think we could do some damage in the playoffs as early as next season...

Trade our top 10 pick for a later first and a second. Then trade those two picks for the two complimentary D we need for Hughes and Hronek? Add if needed. Or get one via trade and one through free agency. We are ready, with our core in place and their ages are ideal, to compete for the next 5-7 years. 

• Upvote 1