The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Mar. 19, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Are you not going to look at the 8-2-2 at the END of the year? 18 of 22 points. That is not a small amount. You just want to go by the last 20 to build your case. LOL. Too funny.

We aren’t at the 12 game mark. The stretch is the last 20 games. In those we were 10 up and 10 down. Them’s the facts. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We aren’t at the 12 game mark. The stretch is the last 20 games. In those we were 10 up and 10 down. Them’s the facts. 

10-6-4. Them's the facts. lol. The point was that the last 12 games really affected our draft position like what is happening now. It's affecting our draft position.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Who cares when our team cant Even make the playoffs year after year?   Fans here are so blinded by individual stats. 

We need a team that can win. Bottom line.  

Ok .. is management not trying to surround our future HHOF players with a strong supporting cast to make the playoffs?

How is just losing going to help us make the playoffs later?

Does Connor Bedard mean we will make the playoffs and win cups?

Edmonton arguably has 2 top 10 all-time NHL players in McDavid and Draidatl when you take into consideration Era adjusted stats... how is it going for them?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Again, it's not about the tank. It's the fact they play amazing when eliminated. I think most fans are angry about that. 

No, I think 'most' fans understand the issues the team has dealt with and are always happy with the wins, whether it's early season or facing elimination. Most fans just want wins, whenever they occur.

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

10-6-4. Them's the facts. lol.

Only 26 out of a possible 40 points. No exactly some crazy winning streak, now is it?  And we were even worse the previous years of this core. Your argument that this core plays great down the stretch (because there’s no pressure) is wrong.

This core is very young and now just showing how great they are and will continue to be. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

10 and 10 in the last 20 of 2022. No, we weren’t good down the stretch. This year we are much better. 

Tbh we were good down the stretch last year. Bruce had the forwards loosening up after Green was suffocating them. Shaw was put into position to actually run the blueline and, coupled with Demko's strong play, that made the difference. 

We lost Shaw in the offseason and really didn't have proper goaltending until just recently. We didn't improve the blueline at all, and Bruce's loose coaching style, which was so effective at the end of last season, became more of a hindrance with the loss of Demko and Shaw running the blueline. 

The idea that this is "just like last year" indicates lazy, one dimensional thinking. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Same thing Benning did.

Similar concept but different meat and potatoes  

Instead of Baertschi Vey Granlund Barker Sutter etc etc 

We have Beauvilier Kuzmenko Mikheyev Joshua Aman Kravtsov etc etc 

I think that Bennings plan could work it was just poorly executed. 

Also, Benning had an aging core and Still used this method whereas this core is hitting their prime and is still young.

Time will tell

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Tbh we were good down the stretch last year. Bruce had the forwards loosening up after Green was suffocating them. Shaw was put into position to actually run the blueline and, coupled with Demko's strong play, that made the difference. 

We lost Shaw in the offseason and really didn't have proper goaltending until just recently. We didn't improve the blueline at all, and Bruce's loose coaching style, which was so effective at the end of last season, became more of a hindrance with the loss of Demko and Shaw running the blueline. 

The idea that this is "just like last year" indicates lazy, one dimensional thinking. 

Like last year they dropped in their draft position by having these small winning streaks. Nothing to do with the process. It's the fact a lot of these players push at the end of the year and come out flat at the beginning and are terrible.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He is on the ice for half the game. But tbh he’s still a bit young IMHAO (as a player) to be the Captain. Petey will be our Captain. 

I'm not sure Petey is ready. I'd prefer they go even a full next season before they choose. If they absolutely had to choose a captain right now, it should be JT, and I think Petey would agree with that. Fortunately they don't have to. They have 3 strong leaders wearing the A.

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Like last year they dropped in their draft position by having these small winning streaks. Nothing to do with the process. It's the fact a lot of these players push at the end of the year and come out flat at the beginning and are terrible.

Like I said, lazy, one dimensional thinking. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Only 26 out of a possible 40 points. No exactly some crazy winning streak, now is it?  And we were even worse the previous years of this core. Your argument that this core plays great down the stretch (because there’s no pressure) is wrong.

This core is very young and now just showing how great they are and will continue to be. 

They did though. The last 12 games they were 8-2-2. You just are choosing to go by 20 games. That 8-2-2 record put them in worst draft position. That's just a fact. I don't get what your arguing. They dropped in their draft position by going 8-2-2 at the END. The last 12 games. Like this year where they are winning, they are dropping in the draft position again. At the end. It's not hard to see the correlation here. Winning at the end when it doesn't matter.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • RoughGame 1

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but Hughes tied the Canuck record for the most assists by a defenseman (set by himself last year) at 60 assists. One more and he'll break his own record.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The last 20 games of the last 10 seasons, starting last year working back…

10-10

7-13

8-12

9-11

7-13

4-16

7-13

12-8

8-12

13-7

Or if you want to use the last 12 like your model…

8-4

4-8

6-6

6-6

6-6

2-10

5-7

8-4

5-7

7-5

So I don’t really see where the team is “winning meaningless games every year.”
I’ll give you last year if you like but one year isn’t much of a pattern.

Well its two now. lol.

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They did though. The last 12 games they were 8-2-2. You just are choosing to go by 20 games. That 8-2-2 record put them in worst draft position. That's just a fact. I don't get what your arguing. 

Look at the post previous to yours. You’re wrong. This club doesn’t have a recent history of winning lots down the stretch. 
This year we are winning. And it’s because we are well coached and have an elite young core. We are headed for a 5-8 year period of winning! 

• Cheers 3