The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pettersson Vs Hughes: Who’s the more valuable piece?

Rate this topic

Odd.

Poll  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tricky question but I'd be inclined to say Petey. As much as I'm a firm believer that a top defenceman is more important than a top forward or center, I think Petey is just too clutch. Look at how many late game tying goals and game winners he has even this season alone. He's on pace for 100 points. I know Hughes is a great passer but he isn't the strongest defender in the world (I'm not saying he's bad, he's just no Hedman in his prime). Sure, a lot of offence comes from Hughes and starts with his great skating and passing, but it ends with Petey. Hughes doesn't get a lot of those assists without great finishing from Petey or Miller, whereas I think Petey still puts up goals without Hughes' passing one way or the other.

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, Leon Draisaitl, Elias Pettersson, Nathan MacKinnon, Sidney Crosby I think are the superstars.  So that is 6, not 7.  Jack Hughes, Tage Thompson, Mika Zibanejad, Tim Stutzle, Evgeni Malkin are a level below.  Petey is the best defensive centre out of all of that group, plus he is top 3 in scoring.  So he is the most complete centre in the NHL right now.  Only McDavid is really that one level higher, but I believe that Petey can get 120 points next year and close that gap in the next 2-3 years.

Hughes is elite, but there are several elite PP quarterback Dmen out there.  Makar, Karlsson, Josi, Fox, Morrissey, Dahlin, Heiskanen, Hamilton, McAvoy.  Hughes still has stiff competition.  Petey is already there IMO as a top 3 centre in the NHL.  Hughes still has a ways to go to be a top 3 Dman.  He might get there though.  We are lucky to have both...

Good list.   Crosby just was voted as the leagues best all around player,  by the NHLPA, for the fourth year in a row and it wasn't even close.   Bergeron was second.    I think if we spent more time watching those guys we'd probably think even higher if them.     Crosby isn't killing penalties (smart to manage his minutes) as much as he used too, but his 5 x 5 play speaks for itself.  Same with Bergeron.    Of those three, EP has entered that conversation, for about one year now.    Those guys have been doing it forever, but it sure is starting to look like EP could take over.   Kuzmemko is a good wingman.    120 points would be incredible.   Last year Mathews won the Hart and it's fair to say he earned it.     Having a top 3 or even 5 center in the entire league is something we've only had one other time, for about 3 years.    My brother and I think he could rattle off 5-8 consecutive 100 point seasons as long as he stays healthy.    IF we sign him for 8 seasons, he plays all of them with us, it possible he ends up with all the major Canuck records.   

As for QHs ... he's special too.   The stick that stirs the drink.    Miller deserves some credit too.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good list.   Crosby just was voted as the leagues best all around player,  by the NHLPA, for the fourth year in a row and it wasn't even close.   Bergeron was second.    I think if we spent more time watching those guys we'd probably think even higher if them.     Crosby isn't killing penalties (smart to manage his minutes) as much as he used too, but his 5 x 5 play speaks for itself.  Same with Bergeron.    Of those three, EP has entered that conversation, for about one year now.    Those guys have been doing it forever, but it sure is starting to look like EP could take over.   Kuzmemko is a good wingman.    120 points would be incredible.   Last year Mathews won the Hart and it's fair to say he earned it.     Having a top 3 or even 5 center in the entire league is something we've only had one other time, for about 3 years.    My brother and I think he could rattle off 5-8 consecutive 100 point seasons as long as he stays healthy.    IF we sign him for 8 seasons, he plays all of them with us, it possible he ends up with all the major Canuck records.   

As for QHs ... he's special too.   The stick that stirs the drink.    Miller deserves some credit too.   

Some good points my friend.  I didn't add Bergeron to the list because I feel he has dropped a bit and probably wins the Selke this year on reputation.  Hischier is elite, but I think a level below the guys I mentioned.  But I think for the Selke trophy it will be Petey and Hischier fighting it out over the next several years.  When you watch Petey play, he reminds me alot of Pavel Datsyuk.  He is still being underrated defensively IMO.  I think he is just as good as Bergeron defensively right now, plus two levels higher offensively.

This will be the last year that Bergeron wins the Selke.  From here on out I think Petey has a legit shot to win it not once, but several times.  As for the Hart and the Art Ross, it all depends on the Edmonton guys and how long they can sustain that level.  But Matthews proved last year that you can still win the Hart even though you are not the top point producer, so if it's close between McDavid and Petey, you gotta give it to Petey, as long as the Canucks are a playoff team.  As for the Art Ross, McDavid probably wins another 3-4 in a row before we see a new guy.  Who knows, maybe Draisaitl pushes him out.  I'm not sure Edmonton can keep both.  Draisaitl will want $15 million and McDavid probably closer to $18 million on a new deal.  Draisaitl is UFA in 2 years.  So, the party might be over in Edmonton within the next 3 years, similar to when Gretzky was traded and then Messier left...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Some good points my friend.  I didn't add Bergeron to the list because I feel he has dropped a bit and probably wins the Selke this year on reputation.  Hischier is elite, but I think a level below the guys I mentioned.  But I think for the Selke trophy it will be Petey and Hischier fighting it out over the next several years.  When you watch Petey play, he reminds me alot of Pavel Datsyuk.  He is still being underrated defensively IMO.  I think he is just as good as Bergeron defensively right now, plus two levels higher offensively.

This will be the last year that Bergeron wins the Selke.  From here on out I think Petey has a legit shot to win it not once, but several times.  As for the Hart and the Art Ross, it all depends on the Edmonton guys and how long they can sustain that level.  But Matthews proved last year that you can still win the Hart even though you are not the top point producer, so if it's close between McDavid and Petey, you gotta give it to Petey, as long as the Canucks are a playoff team.  As for the Art Ross, McDavid probably wins another 3-4 in a row before we see a new guy.  Who knows, maybe Draisaitl pushes him out.  I'm not sure Edmonton can keep both.  Draisaitl will want $15 million and McDavid probably closer to $18 million on a new deal.  Draisaitl is UFA in 2 years.  So, the party might be over in Edmonton within the next 3 years, similar to when Gretzky was traded and then Messier left...

Thanks EP.   Think you're right with EDM.    When McDavid signed he took around the same money Crosby did cap percentage wise, difference is - the cap didn't go up and that has made it tougher on EDM even though both guys could of asked for the max.   Next deal(s) could see the band breaking up.   

Datsyuk is a good comp, even his first couple years some folks said that's where EP could be headed.   Also thing this will be Bergerons's last kick at the can ... not sure he will win, but a finalist for sure.     He's been thinking about retiring since last summer.     Maybe they just miss and he comes back for one more season like Borque did.   Pretty sure it will be either this summer or the following one he retires.    If they win the cup probably this summer. 

• Cheers 1

I voted Hughes. The only correct answer is both. Championships are won on defence. Petey is an elite 1C having yet another career year on a crappy team. He deserves all the credit in the world and really does it all. Hughes is under rated badly for his defensive play. This guy has had a parade of D partners highlighted by Luke Schenn and Ethan Bear when he isn’t carrying complete dead weight. He still scores more points than anyone not named Bossey and remains a plus player. The only separating factor to me is the position he plays. Losing either one means a total rebuild and a team that can’t win. Quite frankly Demko needs to be included in this. Without goaltending, top pair D and true first line C teams do not win. In my opinion this is our core. Now we build around it. If JT can keep up this late season surge and The Kuzmenkshow we have a legit first line. Hronek could be the elusive RHD we have needed to round out the D pairings. We are stuck with OEL and likely Myers for one more year, but Livingston or similar combined with our newfound AHL depth gives us a functional NHL defence for the first time in a decade or so. Hughes is where the opposition coughs up the puck and we head up ice…he gets my vote.