The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Mar. 26, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We just won back to back games. We dominated a very good Dallas club and then, with no legs, locked it up against a craperolla Hawks’ group and our elite skill won it. 
And some fans are upset because we are winning. Don’t get it. 

I choose to look at it with a glass-half-full mentality. We're a better team than was indicated in the first 2/3rds of the season, but because of bad goaltending and the wrong coach we fumbled early on and are going to miss the playoffs as a result, which sucks, BUT because things went so poorly earlier in the season we're now going to get a higher draft pick as a result of it B)

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Silovs looks good. I would obviously rather he develop for another year in Abby, but he's looked good enough in his games with the parent club that I wouldn't be uncomfortable with him as our backup. 

That said, in the event that Demko goes down again I wouldn't want him to all of the sudden have to handle the bulk of the games. 

Demko was left in the minors to cook for a while after he got drafted.  I think mgmt will do the same with Silovs.  Not sold quite yet on Delia and for sure not Martin.  Delia made some nice saves today but some of them were the result of poor rebound control.  A better team would have finished them off.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, jyu said:

This is not what I said. So I stopped reading :bigblush:

Rebuilding is, by definition, replacing the core. It’s saying the core we have isn’t good enough to win. That’s exactly what you said. :P

I disagreed with your evaluation of our core. It is good enough to win. 

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Looks more like we are rising to the top. Accept the fact we have a great young core and management is building a strong supporting cast. We will be very good for a very long stretch of seasons. 
Them is the facts. 

The top? For this season? I don't think so. That's pretty premature since they have proven year after year they can't even make the playoffs and are usually out by Christmas. Them the facts until they prove otherwise.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I choose to look at it with a glass-half-full mentality. We're a better team than was indicated in the first 2/3rds of the season, but because of bad goaltending and the wrong coach we fumbled early on and are going to miss the playoffs as a result, which sucks, BUT because things went so poorly earlier in the season we're now going to get a higher draft pick as a result of it B)

Excellent post! 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

All of us are just fans. Of course we don’t make the choices for the club. If we did most of us would have overpaid to keep Bo. Clearly Allvin knew that was a mistake. So he made a fabulous trade. He turned Bo into a great, young #2 right shot D. A young first line winger, and a high end centre prospect. 

This post is even more puzzling Alf. 

I never said Horvat trade was bad. It was a great one by Allvin. He started to earn my trust with that move.

I would not have paid Horvat 8.5 mil. 7, maybe 7.5 was the max.

The thing you have to comprehend is that you can like a player but also like the trade of the said player because ultimately, we care more about the team's success than any single player.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yep.  we could have had a good start and a bad finish putting us out of the playoffs.  I will also add that a good start keeping us in the playoff race may not have led to some of the moves that we made which seem positive so far.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rebuilding is, by definition, replacing the core. It’s saying the core we have isn’t good enough to win. That’s exactly what you said. :P

I disagreed with your evaluation of our core. It is good enough to win. 

To win the cup as it is? I don't think so.

But I didn't say we should replace the core.

We should add to the core. The core players are great.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

The top? For this season? I don't think so. That's pretty premature since they have proven year after year they can't even make the playoffs and are usually out by Christmas. Them the facts until they prove otherwise.

Then you’re another fan who would prefer we rebuild. That means trading away our young core, because you believe they’re not good enough, and deep diving to get top five draft picks for as long as it takes to replace them. JR/Allvin don’t think we should do that. They realize this core is good enough to win. They added Hronek by moving Bo. Smart trade. We had three high end enters. Do they turned the lesser of the three into a much needed #2 D, who happens to be right shot. They continue to retool the supporting cast. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Then you’re another fan who would prefer we rebuild. That means trading away our young core, because you believe they’re not good enough, and deep diving to get top five draft picks for as long as it takes to replace them. JR/Allvin don’t think we should do that. They realize this core is good enough to win. They added Hronek by moving Bo. Smart trade. We had three high end enters. Do they turned the lesser of the three into a much needed #2 D, who happens to be right shot. They continue to retool the supporting cast. 

No. No, and no. Never once did I mention rebuild but we are kidding ourselves if we think we are close to being a contender with this current roster. There still are quite a few holes.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Yep.  we could have had a good start and a bad finish putting us out of the playoffs.  I will also add that a good start keeping us in the playoff race may not have led to some of the moves that we made which seem positive so far.

Indeed. If Demko starts the season on his game and doesn't get hurt, maybe we onto some of those leads we coughed up early, which keeps our head alive water to the point where the previous coaching staff is retained and Bo is resigned. Of course it's all hypothetical, but I truly believe things are headed in the right direction.  

• Cheers 1

Just another No tank tank season 

Seems the team shows up in March so we’re slow starters lol. 

It’s nice to see the smiles on the bench and on the ice 

some young guys getting ice.

less than ten games left in the season just enjoy watching the games before the long summer. 

Edited by combover
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, jyu said:

To win the cup as it is? I don't think so.

But I didn't say we should replace the core.

We should add to the core. The core players are great.

The core is in place. Hronek was the final piece. We are retooling the supporting cast. 
Which players are core in your view? Which positions? Define core? 

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

No. No, and no. Never once did I mention rebuild but we are kidding ourselves if we think we are close to being a contender with this current roster. There still are quite a few holes.

But the holes are in the supporting group. It’s a lot easier to fill those roles than to build a core. 

• Cheers 1