The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Bye Bye to Myers, Garland and Boeser

To PIT: Boeser + Dermott (rights)

To VAN: 2024 2nd round pick 

PIT are in need of top 6 scoring and some depth on their LD next season.

To CBJ: Garland + Bear (rights)

To VAN: Peeke

VAN buys low on Peeke, who has had a poor season and is about to start his $2.75m x 3 contract. I believe Peeke has the toolbox to be a long-term partner for Hughes and would suit a change of scene. Garland steps straight into their top 6 and Bear provides CBJ a decent option at RD for 1 year instead of Peeke's 3 years - clearing space for the up-and-coming Jiricek and Ceulemans on their right side.

To OTT: Myers ($3m cap hit, $500k salary)

To ARI: 2024 4th round pick (retains $3m on Myers contract, $500k salary)

To VAN: Future considerations (has paid Myers $5m signing bonus)

Assuming OTT is not on Myers' 10 team no-trade list. OTT gets a top 4 RD for only $3m cap hit. ARI receives a 4th for retaining $3m of cap (but only paying out $500k of salary) - helps them reach the cap floor for minimal actual salary cost. VAN clears Myers contract without retention.

Sign UFAs:

Gavrikov - $4.75m x 6 (2nd pairing big shutdown Russian)

Rodrigues - $3m x 3 (2-way right shot 3C) 

Raanta - $2.5m x 1 (backup for 1 season til Silovs is ready)

Schenn - $1.5m x 2 (provides depth, playoff toughness, and chemistry with Hughes if Peeke doesn't work with QH)

Acciari - $1.5m x 2 (plays 4RW but provides center depth, hits a lot, can score goals, and good PK ability)

Sign RFAs:

Hoglander - $950k x 2 (highly underrated by CDC, will be our future 2nd line winger imo)

Kravtsov - $950k x 2 (looking good, keep developing on 3rd line)

Juulsen - $775k x 2 (another good cheap depth RD option, has chemistry with QH)

Assuming Poolman is healthy - waive to AHL

Assuming Pearson is on LTIR

2023-24 Roster:

image.thumb.png.37a4c6cc70582bd337d148e599161886.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Boeser has been good and getting better every game since the deadline passed and under new coaching.

Although, I think there's a really good chance that we move him this summer, it won't be as a dump and the return will be far better than you're thinking. His +/- has improved from around -24 to -16 in the last 2 or 3 weeks and he's starting to score again. They won't move him for the sake of moving him, they will get solid value or he's not going anywhere.

I think they plan on keeping Bear, will likely look to sign him around 2.25 per season range.

Myers, I'm calling it now, we get a 3rd round pick for him.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Boeser has been good and getting better every game since the deadline passed and under new coaching.

Although, I think there's a really good chance that we move him this summer, it won't be as a dump and the return will be far better than you're thinking.

I think they plan on keeping Bear, will likely look to sign him around 2.25 per season range.

Bear gets a longer termed deal to keep his yearly cap allocation lower? 2 per x 5 years? 

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like this except we must buyout OEL. We can’t have him being a healthy scratch and that bottom pairing spot costing us 8 on the cap. 

Based on this lineup we can afford to pay OEL on the bottom pairing next season. I guess what we do with OEL at the end of next season could be based on his performance over the next year.

Worst case is that OEL remains terrible and we need to buy him out in 2024. If that happens, then at least we have shortened the buyout by 1 year.

But if he has a resurgence, then he might become more trade-able with only 3 years left and at that stage it might make sense to try and trade him (perhaps with retained salary) and avoid a buyout.

Even keeping OEL in 2024-25 is a possibility as (having got rid of Myers, Garland, Boeser) we should actually have enough cap space to afford pay rises for EP40, Hronek, Beauvillier, Aman, Joshua and Podz (due to being $2m below the cap limit this season, factoring in a $3m cap limit increase, plus moving on from Raanta with Silovs).

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Although, I think there's a really good chance that we move him this summer, it won't be as a dump and the return will be far better than you're thinking. His +/- has improved from around -24 to -16 in the last 2 or 3 weeks and he's starting to score again. They won't move him for the sake of moving him, they will get solid value or he's not going anywhere.

I would welcome better returns than the ones I have proposed for Boeser and Myers.

Regarding Boeser, I would love to keep him but reality is that in order to afford pay rises for EP40, Hronek and Kuzmenko, we will probably need to move on from two players out of Boeser, Garland and Beauvillier. They don't need to be moved this off season but that is the long term reality.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bear gets a longer termed deal to keep his yearly cap allocation lower? 2 per x 5 years? 

Except Bear has a QO of $2.2m, plus arbitration rights which might push his contract significantly higher than that.

Bear is not a top pairing RD. We have Hronek as 2RD already. So Bear is 3RD at best on our roster. And we need to be paying less than $2m for that role imo. I'd pay Schenn $1.5m to do that role because I know he can step into 1RD with Hughes for a whole season if needs be, and he will be worth his weight in gold come playoff time.

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Except Bear has a QO of $2.2m, plus arbitration rights which might push his contract significantly higher than that.

Bear is not a top pairing RD. We have Hronek as 2RD already. So Bear is 3RD at best on our roster. And we need to be paying less than $2m for that role imo. I'd pay Schenn $1.5m to do that role because I know he can step into 1RD with Hughes for a whole season if needs be, and he will be worth his weight in gold come playoff time.

Boeser’s QO was a million per more than he signed for. I see us signing Bear for five years at 2 per. That’s the right allocation for a guy who can play with Hughes or on our third pairing. Buying out OEL is a must though. 

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boeser’s QO was a million per more than he signed for. I see us signing Bear for five years at 2 per. That’s the right allocation for a guy who can play with Hughes or on our third pairing. Buying out OEL is a must though. 

Agent Jason Davidson on Ethan Bear contract talks : "We have not spoken since all-star game, sometimes when you do not agree you tend to shut it down."

"Ethan is willing to do a 1 year show me deal where as im guessing this team doesn't want to walk this right handed d-man to free agency either. So that's our concern, those free agency years aren't free and they have to be compensated for."

Sounds to me like the 2 parties are a long way off agreement. Are reported to not even be talking anymore. Plus Bear is not looking to earn low salary during his free agent years for the sake of a longterm contract. 

40 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Agent Jason Davidson on Ethan Bear contract talks : "We have not spoken since all-star game, sometimes when you do not agree you tend to shut it down."

"Ethan is willing to do a 1 year show me deal where as im guessing this team doesn't want to walk this right handed d-man to free agency either. So that's our concern, those free agency years aren't free and they have to be compensated for."

Sounds to me like the 2 parties are a long way off agreement. Are reported to not even be talking anymore. Plus Bear is not looking to earn low salary during his free agent years for the sake of a longterm contract. 

Thinking 2.2M for 3 years or something like that. He's going to be 26 in June so don't expect much more on a show me year.

His minutes indicate a 3rd pairing D can play top 4 when needed. He's not involved with either of the PP units and is #4 or 5 man on the PK so most minutes are 5-5.

Decent puck retriever, not overly physical, OK offensive numbers. 2M range is the most he's worth and he been treated well in Van after sitting in Carolina.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

I would welcome better returns than the ones I have proposed for Boeser and Myers.

Regarding Boeser, I would love to keep him but reality is that in order to afford pay rises for EP40, Hronek and Kuzmenko, we will probably need to move on from two players out of Boeser, Garland and Beauvillier. They don't need to be moved this off season but that is the long term reality.

Looking at our forward depth and cap allocation, SOMEONE has to go!

Garland and Hoglander are similar size and play a similar game, but if he can step up again next season, Hoglander is significantly less expensive.

I've actually said for about 3 years that I thought we should trade Boeser. Not because I don't think he's a good player, but because RW is an area of relative strength and I viewed him as someone who could be moved for assets who would strengthen other areas.

I doubt that Pearson will play next season with what I'm hearing about his hand, but Mikheyev will be back and capable of playing either wing.

Add in, Podkolzin, Raty, Karlsson, Klimovich (I think needs another half season in AHL), Bains (been impressive down in AHL), Sasson, McDonough and Kravtsov, all potentially bubble guys to make the team and push for spots. 

Unless they are suddenly going to reverse course on Miller and move him before his NMC kicks in, either Boeser, or Garland need to go, I don't think there's another forward that makes sense to move.

Just my opinion at least.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Like this except we must buyout OEL. We can’t have him being a healthy scratch and that bottom pairing spot costing us 8 on the cap. 

Actually inclined to agree. $7.26m is disgusting for a bottom pair guy. The immediate cap relief in the 24-25 season could be nice too.

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Actually inclined to agree. $7.26m is disgusting for a bottom pair guy. The immediate cap relief in the 24-25 season could be nice too.

The buyout is the sure way to handle OEL. It’s iffy for him to come back and play even in a bottom pairing role. If he does that’s great. But if he ends up in the press box then we are stuck. 

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

To PIT: Boeser + Dermott (rights)

To VAN: 2024 2nd round pick 

PIT are in need of top 6 scoring and some depth on their LD next season.

To CBJ: Garland + Bear (rights)

To VAN: Peeke

VAN buys low on Peeke, who has had a poor season and is about to start his $2.75m x 3 contract. I believe Peeke has the toolbox to be a long-term partner for Hughes and would suit a change of scene. Garland steps straight into their top 6 and Bear provides CBJ a decent option at RD for 1 year instead of Peeke's 3 years - clearing space for the up-and-coming Jiricek and Ceulemans on their right side.

To OTT: Myers ($3m cap hit, $500k salary)

To ARI: 2024 4th round pick (retains $3m on Myers contract, $500k salary)

To VAN: Future considerations (has paid Myers $5m signing bonus)

Assuming OTT is not on Myers' 10 team no-trade list. OTT gets a top 4 RD for only $3m cap hit. ARI receives a 4th for retaining $3m of cap (but only paying out $500k of salary) - helps them reach the cap floor for minimal actual salary cost. VAN clears Myers contract without retention.

Sign UFAs:

Gavrikov - $4.75m x 6 (2nd pairing big shutdown Russian)

Rodrigues - $3m x 3 (2-way right shot 3C) 

Raanta - $2.5m x 1 (backup for 1 season til Silovs is ready)

Schenn - $1.5m x 2 (provides depth, playoff toughness, and chemistry with Hughes if Peeke doesn't work with QH)

Acciari - $1.5m x 2 (plays 4RW but provides center depth, hits a lot, can score goals, and good PK ability)

Sign RFAs:

Hoglander - $950k x 2 (highly underrated by CDC, will be our future 2nd line winger imo)

Kravtsov - $950k x 2 (looking good, keep developing on 3rd line)

Juulsen - $775k x 2 (another good cheap depth RD option, has chemistry with QH)

Assuming Poolman is healthy - waive to AHL

Assuming Pearson is on LTIR

2023-24 Roster:

image.thumb.png.37a4c6cc70582bd337d148e599161886.png

/

Myers I think I could see that happening. seems about right. 

Gavrikov would be a great add. Though I think we could maybe get Holl or Mayfield for half that price and we don't have to mess around with the whole Peeke thing.

Rodrigues is a great target. UFA targets all make sense hopefully we can land a couple of them. 

The Brock and Garland deals I don't think are close at all. Does Garland and Gaudreau in your top 6 make sense? Brock makes 6.65m and has 16 goals he might not hit 20 Unless we retain or take bad money back he is staying. 

9 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Nearly 20 million dollars in cash over eight year. Over 20 Million in dead cap space over the same period.

I really doubt that ownership is willing to pay somebody $20M to NOT play for them or that management wants to be handcuffed by two seasons of $4.7M against the cap, followed by four more years of $2.1M dead cap. 

I would look to OEL being back in the Fall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

As much as many on here would hate it, they may not even move Boeser. 

Tocchet seems to like him and wants him to improve his fitness. We'll see, won't we? 

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

As much as many on here would hate it, they may not even move Boeser. 

Tocchet seems to like him and wants him to improve his fitness. We'll see, won't we? 

I would be good if he stayed, just see him in the roster as the odd man out.

Also, has a problem staying healthy. 

30 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would be good if he stayed, just see him in the roster as the odd man out.

Also, has a problem staying healthy. 

I'm just saying, who knows? 

If Tocchet thinks he can work with him and motivate him, let's see how that turns out. 

When Brock was a rookie, he was All-Star material with an elite shot and scoring ability before his

injuries and his father's passing away. 

I want more from him, like we all do, but I suppose I'm willing to give him a bit more time than some. 

Next year will tell the truth. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

Though I think we could maybe get Holl or Mayfield for half that price and we don't have to mess around with the whole Peeke thing.

Rodrigues is a great target. UFA targets all make sense hopefully we can land a couple of them. 

The Brock and Garland deals I don't think are close at all. Does Garland and Gaudreau in your top 6 make sense? Brock makes 6.65m and has 16 goals he might not hit 20 Unless we retain or take bad money back he is staying. 

Yes I think you could get Holl for half the AAV of Peeke, but then you may as well just stick with Juulsen or Poolman (if he's healthy). As they are all bottom pairing guys.

Peeke is a potential top 4 player. Also Holl is 31 whereas Peeke is 25, so I am targeting a player that can partner Hughes for the next 8 years.

In my opinion Mayfield will cost more than $2.75m to sign as a UFA. Also he's 30, so you wouldn't want to sign him for more than 3 years.