The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ADSF] Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) | Maple Leafs win series 4-2

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Maple Leafs in 4
    • Maple Leafs in 5
    • Maple Leafs in 6
    • Maple Leafs in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/20/2023 at 11:00 PM

18 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

schenn played as the 4th D man the whole series, happy for him 

Yep.  Compare what TB gave up for Jeannot vs what Leafs gave up for Schenn.

I know Jeannot has other value due to his age - but the Leafs got a pretty good deal on Schenn. (Not complaining, just funny how these things work out.)

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yep.  Compare what TB gave up for Jeannot vs what Leafs gave up for Schenn.

I know Jeannot has other value due to his age - but the Leafs got a pretty good deal on Schenn. (Not complaining, just funny how these things work out.)

I'm hoping Schenn is re-signed (in Van).   Dubas was wise to pick a winning vet like him, to shore up his D.   Apparently the swagger and belief in the room, had a lot to do with Schenn according to Keefe, in that this year would be different.   Could end up with folk hero status in TO if that keeps up.   Also happy for him. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Quint said:

Hey @RUPERTKBD I get that you are the voice of reason. Do you remember when Babcock was hired as coach and called the Leafs “Canada’s Team”? If you are ok with that, well, you do you.  As a Canucks fan and citizen of Vancouver that makes me barf in my mouth. Maybe you think the Leafs are “Canada’s team”?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sports/mike-babcock-irks-hockey-fans-by-calling-maple-leafs-canada-s-team-1.2384231

TBH, I don't recall that....but even if I did, I wouldn't care....

....and I too am a Canucks fan, (from day 1 actually) but I have to admit, I haven't been a citizen of Vancouver for 60 years....

10 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

For once I’m actually happy for the leafs.  

Trading the farm for Jeannot was so infuriating.  Then seeing TB all beaking Schenn that game was also obnoxious.  Takes a lot for me to back the Leafs.

For me, it was the fact that Tampa has Corey Perry and Pat Maroon playing for them....the fact that they've recently won was also a consideration....

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Quint said:

I cannot overemphasize my disdain for Mike Babcock and the fan base he represents with his “Canada’s Team” comment. This is a coach who was blessed to actually WIN with Canada’s Team- a Gold Medal on Canadian soil in 2010. Then he refers to the Toronto Maple Leafs as “Canada’s Team”?? And @RUPERTKBD says he doesn’t see anything “entitled” coming from that fan base? Willfully blind maybe? The national media is in the same camp as Babcock, TO homers who troll the rest of the country gleefully despite the fact that the franchise has been obviously woefully inept for more than 50 years. Canada’s team is comprised of proud Canadians playing for all of us. The Leafs suck. 

Willfully blind to what? That the coach of the Leafs called them Canada's team 8 years ago and Steve Dangle has a podcast?

How do the two of them equal the fanbase? As I have pointed out repeatedly, it's been 2 decades since they've won a single playoff round. They have nothing to be "entitled" about.

As far as I can tell, people hate them because they're jealous of all the media attention they get....sorry, but I just don't GAF and that doesn't somehow make me less of a Canuck fan.

The Leafs core is good, I just never felt they had the heart to win in the playoffs and it has been an issue in the past.  Even in the regular season they often didn't have the will to come back in games from behind.

Credit to Dubas for making deals to address this.  He made a lot of deals at the TDL notably bringing in Schenn and O'Reilly (also Gustavson, McCabe, Lafferty, Acciari, Pillar).  Giordano a year ago.  Jarnkrok in free agency.  A lot of tinkering around the edges which is something we're going to see here in Vancouver.

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

He didn't take the C from Dave Taylor in LA, at least not for the first season.  The complete opposite of Messier walking into Vancouver like he owned the joint.

I get the hate for Messier, but he didn't "take' the C from Linden. Trevor offered it:

https://vancouversun.com/news/sixteen-defining-moments-in-trevor-lindens-career

Linden moment #6 - Gives the 'C' to Mark Messier

After six full seasons as Canuck captain, Trevor Linden made the expected move by handing his 'C' over to newly signed Mark Messier on Oct. 3, 1997. The transition occurred in Tokyo, where the Canucks opened their '97-98 campaign against the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Messier's ascension to captain seemed inevitable once the ink dried on his three-year, $20-million deal. At that point in his career, he was still considered one of hockey's greatest leaders and it was thought he could galvanize a talented Canuck group that had both Pavel Bure and Alex Mogilny as well as Linden, Markus Naslund, Martin Gelinas, Jyrki Lumme, Kirk McLean and rookie defenceman Mattias Ohlund. Linden claimed the decision to hand over the 'C' was his and his alone. "I didn't know what I was going to do and I didn't want to make a quick decision," Linden explained. "I wanted to see how it played out. You know, the day I was driving from Whistler to go to the [Messier signing] announcement I turned on the radio in my car and the first thing I heard was 'would Messier be captain?' "I was monitoring the situation and was waiting to see what felt right. And it just felt right. Now I'll be apprenticing under one of the best leaders in professional sport." Long-time Canuck GM Pat Quinn nodded his approval. "Let's face it, we acquired a player who has an aura of leadership about him," Quinn said of Messier. "Trevor felt it would be better to defer the captaincy to a person of Mark's presence and accomplishments." A month later, Quinn was fired. Four months later, Linden was traded to the New York Islanders.

It's worth noting that Messier later said that he wishes that he had declined the offer, but IMO it was inevitable when Quinn was fired and ownership decided to replace him with Mike Keenan...

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Willfully blind to what? That the coach of the Leafs called them Canada's team 8 years ago and Steve Dangle has a podcast?

How do the two of them equal the fanbase? As I have pointed out repeatedly, it's been 2 decades since they've won a single playoff round. They have nothing to be "entitled" about.

As far as I can tell, people hate them because they're jealous of all the media attention they get....sorry, but I just don't GAF and that doesn't somehow make me less of a Canuck fan.

I hate them because so many leaf fans arrive in our building and out number and cheer louder than the home fans.  I get that Vancouverites, a lot of them, me included, tend to be more reserved at home games.  It's also the media, sure they get too much coverage and so much of the media are clearly fans too.  To be fair, in recent years, they have become aware of this and are trying to temper it.  Also, we have to play our home games 3 hours earlier to cater to leaf fans in Ontario.  This is an advantage that no other team receives.  And then there's the typical leaf fan who is so absorbed in their team it borders on worship.

It's not jealousy at all.  I just roll my eyes and shake my head at leafs "nation" who idolizes a team to an obnoxious level who has been mediocre at best for decades.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I hate them because so many leaf fans arrive in our building and out number and cheer louder than the home fans.  I get that Vancouverites, a lot of them, me included, tend to be more reserved at home games.  It's also the media, sure they get too much coverage and so much of the media are clearly fans too.  To be fair, in recent years, they have become aware of this and are trying to temper it.  Also, we have to play our home games 3 hours earlier to cater to leaf fans in Ontario.  This is an advantage that no other team receives.  And then there's the typical leaf fan who is so absorbed in their team it borders on worship.

It's not jealousy at all.  I just roll my eyes and shake my head at leafs "nation" who idolizes a team to an obnoxious level who has been mediocre at best for decades.

Vancouver is a big city....there are bound to be lots of original 6 lifers....out of curiosity, do you hate the Habs as well? I always see a lot of those jerseys as well, when Montreal plays in Vancouver....

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Vancouver is a big city....there are bound to be lots of original 6 lifers....out of curiosity, do you hate the Habs as well? I always see a lot of those jerseys as well, when Montreal plays in Vancouver....

I don't like when the Habs come to town because they take over too but no, I don't hate them like the leafs.  Overall, I'm indifferent to the Habs.  I guess it's the whole leafs package that does it and the home stadium experience puts me over the top.

FWIW, I never go to home games when the leafs or habs are in town.  

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The very good friend I go to games with isn't from here...but she immediately bought into THIS team because this is now home.

I get it....Leaf fans blahblahblah. But don't expect us to embrace them. Or even not to hate them. We do. 

Me? For my own reasons....going way back. But it's ok not to be all pc and accept them. They are the media darlings that get constantly shoved down our throats. Like there ARE NO other Canadians teams. To answer the question...no. I don't hate the Habs or any other team like I do the Leafs (well, except those nauseating Bruins...but even I have to pay them respect because they're pretty damn good).

I help those displaced original 6 Leaf fans....when they try to overtake our building with their go leafs go I join in. BLOW LEAFS BLOW. It blends in quite nicely. I think it could become a thing. Harmonizing.

Toronto's a big city too with plenty of room for the Leafs fans to go home to. :towel:

(If I've offended any Leaf fans here. Oh well)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

That’s the whole point. They have nothing to be entitled about, but they act like a bunch of entitled jerks anyway. I have met multiple Leaf fans in Vancouver who have called them “Canada’s Team”. It boggles the mind. And it is not that the media gives them more attention, it is that many members of the “national” media are clearly Leaf fans, when professionally they should be neutral. They cram pro- leaf coverage down the nation’s throat when they should be representing us all. Admittedly, since they have moved away from the CBC this is corporate and I suppose a way to make money. 
I don’t know who Steve Dangle is. I never implied you were less of a Canucks fan, just not in tune to the leaf blowers in the media. 

9 hours ago, Quint said:

Hey @RUPERTKBD I get that you are the voice of reason. Do you remember when Babcock was hired as coach and called the Leafs “Canada’s Team”? If you are ok with that, well, you do you.  As a Canucks fan and citizen of Vancouver that makes me barf in my mouth. Maybe you think the Leafs are “Canada’s team”?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sports/mike-babcock-irks-hockey-fans-by-calling-maple-leafs-canada-s-team-1.2384231

TML is similar to the Dallas Cowboys in that the national media never misses an opportunity to jam them down the country’s collective throat as if they truly believe EVERYONE cares about them and wants to see them standing in the winners circle at the end of the playoffs every year. 

Personally, I’m steering clear of Sportsnet for the rest of the playoffs until they lose. It was already unbearable to listen to/read anything hockey-related BEFORE, and I can only imagine how dreadful it must be now that they’ve finally advanced for the first time since I was in my 30’s. 

2 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

TML is similar to the Dallas Cowboys in that the national media never misses an opportunity to jam them down the country’s collective throat as if they truly believe EVERYONE cares about them and wants to see them standing in the winners circle at the end of the playoffs every year. 

Personally, I’m steering clear of Sportsnet for the rest of the playoffs until they lose. It was already unbearable to listen to/read anything hockey-related BEFORE, and I can only imagine how dreadful it must be now that they’ve finally advanced for the first time since I was in my 30’s. 

LOL...they're so thrilled they're getting all tongue tied. So cute.

• Haha 1

I think that has more to do with sports fans of one team wanting to feel associated with another more historically successful team, if only for 1 game. Sports fans are incredibly fickle, and often won’t hesitate to jump from 1 bandwagon to another, depending on which team is winning. People want to be on the winning side. I think it has far more to do with that than with transplants. 

49 minutes ago, Quint said:

That’s the whole point. They have nothing to be entitled about, but they act like a bunch of entitled jerks anyway. I have met multiple Leaf fans in Vancouver who have called them “Canada’s Team”. It boggles the mind. And it is not that the media gives them more attention, it is that many members of the “national” media are clearly Leaf fans, when professionally they should be neutral. They cram pro- leaf coverage down the nation’s throat when they should be representing us all. Admittedly, since they have moved away from the CBC this is corporate and I suppose a way to make money. 
I don’t know who Steve Dangle is. I never implied you were less of a Canucks fan, just not in tune to the leaf blowers in the media. 

If you say so....

Also, I'm not surprised that there would be plenty of Leafs fans, seeing as a lot of them are from Ontario, but I disagree that they let their fandom get in the way of their neutrality...The fact is, they work for a Canadian media outlet and Toronto is the biggest city in Canada....

19 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

LOL...they're so thrilled they're getting all tongue tied. So cute.

I took that as tongue-in-cheek. 650 is Vancouver specific so I think they're poking fun at TML thinking that their series win is historically significant (i.e., first NHL team to win a best-of-7 series since 2004) lol

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1