The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Noah Juulsen

38 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Chase Wouters you mean? That he doesn't have a contract steams my buns. Kid's a stud. 

He deserves a look cause he’s earned it but he seems like a Jason Krog type, AHL stud but not good enough for the NHL. He deserves a PTO at least though. 

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He deserves a look cause he’s earned it but he seems like a Jason Krog type, AHL stud but not good enough for the NHL. He deserves a PTO at least though. 

Chase is just such a great human being. There's a reason we put the C on him at just 22 he will go through a wall for his team mates. He's got the chops to play 4C or 13th F. You want this kid in the room. 

Friend of mine grew up with him in Loyd they were kids playing on the playground at night running around and she ran into a pole and knocked her front tooth out she ran home crying. Chase stayed out there all night sifting through the sand until he found her tooth. 

If you watch him in Abby he's a leader on and off the ice. Would love to see him get a cup of coffee one day he might just stick. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Chase is just such a great human being. There's a reason we put the C on him at just 22 he will go through a wall for his team mates. He's got the chops to play 4C or 13th F. You want this kid in the room. 

Friend of mine grew up with him in Loyd they were kids playing on the playground at night running around and she ran into a pole and knocked her front tooth out she ran home crying. Chase stayed out there all night sifting through the sand until he found her tooth. 

If you watch him in Abby he's a leader on and off the ice. Would love to see him get a cup of coffee one day he might just stick. 

It’s too bad these stories never get as much attention as the negative ones. So nice to have a guy like this in the organization especially on the farm to lead by example. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

I am still puzzled by several things.

1. Several sources stay or imply that the waiver period ends one day after the regular season ends. Does this mean that any eligible player can be sent down to Abby without worrying about waivers after the season ends?

2. If so, why waive Juulsen now.

3. A team that acquires Juulsen could not play him in this year's playoff. They might still acquire him as an "asset" as he will be an RFA this summer.

4. The Canucks are not subject to the 23 man limit now, and they have enough cap room to bring up someone else for the final game if they want. So why waive Juulsen.

5. The current 50 contract limit is not binding and if the Canucks want his contract spot for next year all they have to do is not quality him.

6. I wonder if his agent asked for him to be put on waivers just in case someone else who thinks he is an NHL player and will pick him up. Maybe it something to do with the contract negotiations for Juulsen (which have apparently restarted.) Maybe the idea is that if he clears he will sign for what the Canucks are currently offering.

1.  The regular waiver period runs from 12 days before the opening of the season till 1 day after the team's last day of their playing season - for the non-playoff teams 1 day after the end of the regular season but for playoff teams 1 day after they get eliminated.

2.  Vancouver had to waive Juulsen so that he can be sent to Abbotsford for a possible AHL playoff run.  If they miss the waiver period he can no longer be assigned and won't be eligible to play for the Calder.

3.  Players picked off waivers are no longer eligible to play for the regular season too - not just the playoffs.  Players have to be on their team's reserve list at the TDL to continue to play.  Trades or waivers has them changing reserve list and ends their season (regular + playoffs).   UFA signings are an exception where they can play in the regular season but not the playoffs.  

Don't think he's eligible for the AHL either - they too have a TDL + would in any case have to be waived to be re-assigned there (and the team that originally waived the player can claim him back).  

He's UFA and not RFA.  He falls in the group 6 UFA like last season.  Hasn't played 80 NHL games and is older than 25 while having 3 pro-years.  CapFriendly updates that status later on the chance players can reach the 80 NHL games and then no longer qualify.  

4.  Teams are only allowed 4 regular recalls after the TDL.  Vancouver has already used up their allocated 4 at the TDL (Di Giuseppe, Wolanin, Juulsen, Podkolzin).  They can only bring up someone on emergency basis.

5.  The 50 contract limit is binding till the end of the season and uses up a contract spot through the draft. 

6.  Has to go through waivers to play in the Calder.  Can no longer play for another team this season and would use a contract spot.  Only worth a claim if a team is targeting him as UFA signing in the off-season - gives them advanced negotiation rights.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2

On 4/13/2023 at 5:00 PM, wildcam said:

I could see Vancouver try and sign UFA Graves 28--6'5 -225--LD --4.5 million X 4 yrs   --- Severson 29 -- 6'2  RD -- 5.5 million X 4 yrs

Graves is also a good player with the qualities we covet. But he's a left handed player... does he ever play the right side? Seems Severson is a more natural fit.

The numbers just don't fit well without dropping some cap...

12 hours ago, kloubek said:

Graves is also a good player with the qualities we covet. But he's a left handed player... does he ever play the right side? Seems Severson is a more natural fit.

The numbers just don't fit well without dropping some cap...

Severson is really only a fit for handedness. We need to look elsewhere IMO, he's going to cost too much $ for too long. He'd just be "next Myers" in that regard, an ill fitting player we'd be looking at how we can get off his salary/watching the years tick off until we can maybe retain and move him.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Severson is really only a fit for handedness. We need to look elsewhere IMO, he's going to cost too much $ for too long. He'd just be "next Myers" in that regard, an ill fitting player we'd be looking at how we can get off his salary/watching the years tick off until we can maybe retain and move him.

I was interested in Severson before we acquired Hronek but now I feel like he would be redundant. With Hughes, Hronek, OEL, and even Hirose as capable puck movers we really need to focus on the complementary guys now that play a more steady game. I think we should definitely focus more on guys like Mayfield on the right and Graves and Gavrikov if we want another piece on the left.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Ya think? He's should be good for another 3-4 years before we'd see a decline, and although this past year wasn't as impressive from a points perspective, he still managed 33 points, and improved his +/- from -14 to +9. (For what +/- is worth). I do agree he might be outside the price range we'd want to pay, but not that he wouldn't be a good fit. 

With that said, I also have nothing against paying less for a guy who is almost purely a defensive monster... regardless of whether said monster can wrack up significant points or not. Ultimately, while I'd like to see a bit more scoring out of our back end and keep the puck in the opposing zone, a largely defensive-minded (but mobile and smart) defenseman would fit the bill quite nicely, and come at a more reasonable cost/cap than a guy who is capable of putting up 30+ points.

A man can dream...

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Ya think? He's should be good for another 3-4 years before we'd see a decline, and although this past year wasn't as impressive from a points perspective, he still managed 33 points, and improved his +/- from -14 to +9. (For what +/- is worth). I do agree he might be outside the price range we'd want to pay, but not that he wouldn't be a good fit. 

With that said, I also have nothing against paying less for a guy who is almost purely a defensive monster... regardless of whether said monster can wrack up significant points or not. Ultimately, while I'd like to see a bit more scoring out of our back end and keep the puck in the opposing zone, a largely defensive-minded (but mobile and smart) defenseman would fit the bill quite nicely, and come at a more reasonable cost/cap than a guy who is capable of putting up 30+ points.

A man can dream...

Korczak from LGK would be a great compliment to our group, and fits your description nicely.

They have 7 D ahead of him signed for next year, but look a bit thin on middle 6 wingers.

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

I like Vancouver trade for Hronek 25 -- Sverson is 28 will take the younger player in Hronek.. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

A man can dream...

Severson's not really good enough to be a "true" first pair D, offensively or defensively. He's not say an Josi/Hedman/McAvoy/Heiskanen etc. Hronek already fills a similar 1st/2nd pair tweener role (and is arguably better at it, younger, cheaper etc). And he's not a puck moving defensive D like a Marino, or a bigger defensive D like a Cernak, that would also partner well with Hughes/fill a roster need. All while being likely too expensive, for too long.

That's what I mean by "ill fit".

• Cheers 1