The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs part ways with GM Kyle Dubas

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm hoping they're stupid enough to hire Gillis with Weisbrod as an assistant.

Weisbrod has no connection with Gillis.  If Weisbrod is hired as an assistant GM, it'll be under Jim Benning.

Mike Gillis + anybody >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jim Benning + Weisbrod.

Let's do math where you eliminate two equally bad options (Gillis & Benning).  That leaves Anybody vs Weisbrod.  I'll take my chances with Anybody.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Weisbrod has no connection with Gillis.  If Weisbrod is hired as an assistant GM, it'll be under Jim Benning.

Mike Gillis + anybody >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jim Benning + Weisbrod.

Let's do math where you eliminate two equally bad options (Gillis & Benning).  That leaves Anybody vs Weisbrod.  I'll take my chances with Anybody.

I was just thinking of the worst possible GM coupled with the worst possible assistant.  Gillis is also a far worse option than Benning and it's in the running for worst GM ever behind only Millbury.   Given Toronto's tendency to hire unqualified idiots instead of hockey people, I wouldn't be surprised to see them let Gillis finish the destruction that Dubas started.

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I was just thinking of the worst possible GM coupled with the worst possible assistant.  Gillis is also a far worse option than Benning and it's in the running for worst GM ever behind only Millbury.   Given Toronto's tendency to hire unqualified idiots instead of hockey people, I wouldn't be surprised to see them let Gillis finish the destruction that Dubas started.

I personally think they're 1a & 1b.  Interchangable in terms of how horrible they were.  I fail to see how Gillis was noticeably worse than Benning IMHO.  Weisbrod, Benning's buddy clearly bridges that gap between the two (again IMHO).

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I personally think they're 1a & 1b.  Interchangable in terms of how horrible they were.  I fail to see how Gillis was noticeably worse than Benning IMHO.

Benning at least got some decent pieces in the draft.  Gillis was incapable of doing any part of his job correctly and created such a mess that Sam Pollock would have trouble undoing the damage he did.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Benning at least got some decent pieces in the draft.  Gillis was incapable of doing any part of his job correctly and created such a mess that Sam Pollock would have trouble undoing the damage he did.

Drafting means nothing if player development is non-existant.  Remember how Elias was looking like **** under Travis Green?  We had some player development under Gillis at least.  I think Benning visited Utica like once.

lol @ mess.  OEL + Myers.:lol:  (forgetting we gave up a 1st round pick to get OEL) + a farm system as bad as it was what Gillis left Benning (this is after 7 years of rebuilding).

In the end this argument is pointless regarding who was more stupid because in the end, you still end up with a stupid GM.  Does it matter who was worse?

Sounds like Dubas is going to the Pens which makes sense - he made a lot of quite shrewd moves in Toronto to fit guys in with the cap, especially on defence and with O'Reilly, and I think that's what Pittsburgh is going to want more of to try and extend their window. They surprisingly have 20M in cap space and just have to sign a goalie (probably Jarry) and pretty much an entire bottom-6 but that can be done easily. Their defence and stars are pretty much locked up. I don't think they're ready for a retool, they might as well go for it while they still can.

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounds like Dubas is going to the Pens which makes sense - he made a lot of quite shrewd moves in Toronto to fit guys in with the cap, especially on defence and with O'Reilly, and I think that's what Pittsburgh is going to want more of to try and extend their window. They surprisingly have 20M in cap space and just have to sign a goalie (probably Jarry) and pretty much an entire bottom-6 but that can be done easily. Their defence and stars are pretty much locked up. I don't think they're ready for a retool, they might as well go for it while they still can.

Their core trio is extremely old but on pretty good contracts.  As long as they're there, the Pens need to keep trying despite having less depth year after year.  I'm not sure if that's what Pens fans want, though.  The last two times they rebuilt they went on to create megateams and stay competitive for decades.  They know the ups and downs of hockey and they're not afraid to accept losing.  They just want more than whatever inconsistent crap they had this year.

But since this looks like another push.... A more analytics-oriented GM might help in evaluating and acquiring decent role players on good contracts.  Dubas (despite the massive amount of hatred he gets here) was very good at making a team that could qualify for the playoffs.  For a team like Pittsburgh (or even us) that missed the postseason, making it to round 1 is all that matters.

They were never going to rebuild with Crosby, Malkin, and Letang in the fold. They'll cross the rebuild bridge if they get to it, in the meantime it'll probably be more of a competitive retool of sorts. Not sure their next GM will spend picks though, it'd be wise for Pittsburgh to start holding on to more of their top picks, they'll need to keep an eye on the future to some degree.