The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs part ways with GM Kyle Dubas

Rate this topic

Pittsburgh apparently wants Dubas but they are going to give him the necessary time to think about it.  Friedman says it's been a whirlwind for him so he wants to take his time but he also speculates that he might want to see who wins the bidding in Ottawa as that would be another potential landing spot.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:40 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Just sad that as a 54 year old franchise, all we can boast is a meaningless trophy and an appearance in a final, where we hold an embarrassing GF/GA ratio and our star players got humiliated for being passive (insert GIF of Marchand punching Daniel repeatedly)

Why not swap in the Marner getting bitch slapped by Chucky? I know that the TO media would rather try to humiliate Canucks for something that happened over a decade ago, but the Marner thing was just as bad, was more recent, and it happened right in their backyard.

• There it is 1

13 hours ago, mll said:

Pittsburgh apparently wants Dubas but they are going to give him the necessary time to think about it.  Friedman says it's been a whirlwind for him so he wants to take his time but he also speculates that he might want to see who wins the bidding in Ottawa as that would be another potential landing spot.

I don’t see a good fit for Dubas in Pitts. Pens have most of their cap invested in a few key players, which is what TO had, only Pens guys are older. 
Ottawa might be a better landing spot. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I don’t see a good fit for Dubas in Pitts. Pens have most of their cap invested in a few key players, which is what TO had, only Pens guys are older. 

Pitt is in big trouble as they age out. Crosby, Malkin and Letang. I doubt any of them will waive their NTC so that Pitt can move them for some youth. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

There would be no better way to stick it to Shanahan and the Leafs than to turn Ottawa into a contender.

Can you even imagine? How many tears will be shed when the Sens eliminate the Leafs from the playoffs? Multiple times at that?

Marine Life Reaction GIF by pikaole

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Dubas may be one of the most overrated GM's ever. The list of his bad moves and bad ideas far outway his good. If he was a GM in a small no name market, no one would care about him. But he was a GM in godsville so he's as wrongly hyped as a lot of the crap from Toronto. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Why not swap in the Marner getting bitch slapped by Chucky? I know that the TO media would rather try to humiliate Canucks for something that happened over a decade ago, but the Marner thing was just as bad, was more recent, and it happened right in their backyard.

2nd round vs Cup finals. We're more embarrassing

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

There would be no better way to stick it to Shanahan and the Leafs than to turn Ottawa into a contender.

Can you even imagine? How many tears will be shed when the Sens eliminate the Leafs from the playoffs? Multiple times at that?

Marine Life Reaction GIF by pikaole

Headed in that direction already. Leafs hire Treliving and go backwards fast. Sens hire Dubas and they are over 100 points fast. 

28 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

2nd round vs Cup finals. We're more embarrassing

Not embarrasssd at all. Like most people, I’ve moved on. Same thing happens a lot in hockey. Not sure why that incident continues to be brought up. 

. Sedin was at least hoping to draw a penalty.
If he  was a Laff, the media would have dismissed the incident as “ not in his game to retaliate”

But no, Vancouver. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

Not embarrasssd at all. Like most people, I’ve moved on. Same thing happens a lot in hockey. Not sure why that incident continues to be brought up. 

. Sedin was at least hoping to draw a penalty.
If he  was a Laff, the media would have dismissed the incident as “ not in his game to retaliate”

But no, Vancouver. 

Leafs fans and media are pissed Marner didn't retaliate wtf are you talking about

How tone deaf is the old boys club? It is just mind numbing to hear some of the names that they are interviewing. A Twitter poll would give the Leafs better direction right now. 

Peter Chiarelli ? No! 80+% on a Twitter poll would say he doesn't deserve another GM job. He showed too much incompetence at his Oilers stop. And was fired for it.

Jason Boterielli. No!  Same as above. 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Pitt is in big trouble as they age out. Crosby, Malkin and Letang. I doubt any of them will waive their NTC so that Pitt can move them for some youth. 

Pittsburgh are all in as they try and win another Cup with Crosby/Malkin and Letang.  Crosby and Malkin are still ppg players.  It's the supporting cast that wasn't strong enough.  

On 5/27/2023 at 1:10 PM, Boudrias said:

I think whoever the next GM there is is going to be pretty much a sacrificial lamb. At this point in time they should really be looking at starting to rebuild, but with Crosby, Letang, and Malkin all still there I'm sure there's going to be a lot of pressure to give them one last run. Realistically all three are still good enough to be key players, but they are lacking to supporting staff and have a weak prospect pool as well. They might be able to make another post season or two, but at the expense of harming their prospect pool even more. Pittsburgh could be headed for a really rough number of years once Crosby et al hang up their skates.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

I think whoever the next GM there is is going to be pretty much a sacrificial lamb. At this point in time they should really be looking at starting to rebuild, but with Crosby, Letang, and Malkin all still there I'm sure there's going to be a lot of pressure to give them one last run. Realistically all three are still good enough to be key players, but they are lacking to supporting staff and have a weak prospect pool as well. They might be able to make another post season or two, but at the expense of harming their prospect pool even more. Pittsburgh could be headed for a really rough number of years once Crosby et al hang up their skates.

If Dubas wants to be in a market where he and his family can live in obscurity then Pittsburgh is a good spot. If he wants the best opportunity to build a winner then it’s Ottawa. But then he (and his family) will be in the spotlight. 

On 5/26/2023 at 6:34 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't think the contract is great but he was the 2nd best LW in the league two years in a row...is it worse than the JT Miller contract with respect to term and his age?  Huberdeau has a much stronger body of work.  Last year he was bad but...I think that was kind of like his Alex Edler -35 year.  The Flames aren't going to end up doing better with Huberdeau than Florida is doing with Tkachuk...but wasn't their alternative losing him for nothing?

Maybe it was possible to do a Bo Horvat kind of trade and get a few younger guys not requiring a big deal right away instead...but as lateral moves go with respect to a player who doesn't want to be there, I think they did pretty well.

I mean...Montreal got not a whole lot for Patrick Roy and they had to throw in Mike Keane too.  We had to throw in Bret Hedican with Pavel Bure to get a 1st round pick that we squandered and Ed Jovanovski.  Jovanovski was good but he wasn't even that much better than Hedican, never mind Hedican PLUS Pavel Bure.  The Blackhawks had to throw in Bryan Marchment with Steve Larmer to get back...Patrick Poulin and Eric Weinrich.  These types of situations don't tend to work out to the advantage of the team being abandoned.

Big Gilmour for Leeman type trade????!?!?!!!?!!!??? Both teams need a shake up and back then, it didn't work out for the Flames. 

On 5/27/2023 at 11:35 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

How tone deaf is the old boys club? It is just mind numbing to hear some of the names that they are interviewing. A Twitter poll would give the Leafs better direction right now. 

Peter Chiarelli ? No! 80+% on a Twitter poll would say he doesn't deserve another GM job. He showed too much incompetence at his Oilers stop. And was fired for it.

Jason Boterielli. No!  Same as above. 

Really though, why would you want the Leafs to get better? 

• Cheers 1