The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs part ways with GM Kyle Dubas

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Two President's trophies, GM of the year (as voted by his peers) and Cup Final. That's pretty darned good. Then our owner fired the guy who accomplished so much and hired Benning :picard:

The Leafs would be in a great spot if they hired Gillis as their GM. 

If I were an owner I would be willing to consider Gillis as an option for GM.  I wouldn't go anywhere near Benning though...I was interested to see what Benning would do when the Canucks hired him and he had goodwill with me from his playing days (was Canucks defenseman of the year once I think) but Aquilini allowed him to go on so long and create such a demonstrable portfolio of how he makes decisions that nobody should ever hire him as GM again.  He was like a less bold and entertaining version of Mad Mike Milbury.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Two President's trophies, GM of the year (as voted by his peers) and Cup Final. That's pretty darned good. Then our owner fired the guy who accomplished so much and hired Benning :picard:

The Leafs would be in a great spot if they hired Gillis as their GM. 

Just sad that as a 54 year old franchise, all we can boast is a meaningless trophy and an appearance in a final, where we hold an embarrassing GF/GA ratio and our star players got humiliated for being passive (insert GIF of Marchand punching Daniel repeatedly)

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Just sad that as a 54 year old franchise, all we can boast is a meaningless trophy and an appearance in a final, where we hold an embarrassing GF/GA ratio and our star players got humiliated for being passive (insert GIF of Marchand punching Daniel repeatedly)

I think Gillis did a lot of good with the Canucks, but it did seem like he wasn't generally liked by other GMs which might have made it more difficult to get deals done. While being liked by other GMs is not a job requirement (or necessarily a good thing even), he generally seemed to have an antagonistic relationship with other teams and the league. I suspect that has been a big factor behind Gillis not being back in the GM role after so many years (it also might not just be lack of interest from teams).

Personally I thought highly of Gillis' management. That management team's lack of success drafting was an issue however, notwithstanding the fact that they generally drafted low due to their success.

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Regarding the President Trophy 54 wins > 16 wins :bigblush:

24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Wow. I've also heard that Benning's interviewed for the job as well. Please put the band back together TO, and hire Chiapet and Benning.

Weisbrod, Benning, and Chiarelli 

It's time to bring the band together again 

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Crowd, Suit, People, Adult, Male, Man, Tie

• Haha 2

It sounds like many believe Treliving is the front runner. If he does take the job I feel it's not because he's the most suited for the job, but because he's the best available candidate out there. Just look at the list they're interviewing lol...

It'd also be interesting to see if Treliving actually gets to make decisions himself, or be in the same boat as Dubas. If he left Calgary for that same reason I wonder how long he would last.

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I think we’re discussing how Gillis was our most successful GM, which he clearly was. And he won two President’s’ trophies. Leafs would be smart to hire him. But they won’t. Gillis spoke out against our owner publicly. He was right. But now he’s black listed. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

It sounds like many believe Treliving is the front runner. If he does take the job I feel it's not because he's the most suited for the job, but because he's the best available candidate out there. Just look at the list they're interviewing lol...

It'd also be interesting to see if Treliving actually gets to make decisions himself, or be in the same boat as Dubas. If he left Calgary for that same reason I wonder how long he would last.

Exactly what I was thinking. Treliving is the best used car on the lot. I actually don't mind him, but he likes a heavy old school team so would be interesting to how that unfolds. 

4 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

Treliving will trade Matthews for a wonderful return, just like he did with Tkatchuk. Huberdough :lol:

Treliving will trade Matthews for a wonderful return, just like he did with Tkatchuk. Huberdough :lol:

I still think he did pretty good to get Huberdeau and more for a Tkachuk that had him over a barrel Ryan Kesler style.

I rip Benning for all of the moves he made that you knew were stupid the moment he made them.  The Huberdeau return looks good when it was done...same is it was pretty smart for Pat Quinn to sign Vladmir Krutov.  Sometimes a pretty smart move just doesn't work out.  I think Huberdeau is one of those and I am sure he will get better than he was this last year as well.

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I still think he did pretty good to get Huberdeau and more for a Tkachuk that had him over a barrel Ryan Kesler style.

I rip Benning for all of the moves he made that you knew were stupid the moment he made them.  The Huberdeau return looks good when it was done...same is it was pretty smart for Pat Quinn to sign Vladmir Krutov.  Sometimes a pretty smart move just doesn't work out.  I think Huberdeau is one of those and I am sure he will get better than he was this last year as well.

10.5 x 8 for 55 points snd doesn’t play away from the puck is good? Treliving will ruin a very good Leafs’ club. 

10.5 x 8 for 55 points snd doesn’t play away from the puck is good? Treliving will ruin a very good Leafs’ club. 

I don't think the contract is great but he was the 2nd best LW in the league two years in a row...is it worse than the JT Miller contract with respect to term and his age?  Huberdeau has a much stronger body of work.  Last year he was bad but...I think that was kind of like his Alex Edler -35 year.  The Flames aren't going to end up doing better with Huberdeau than Florida is doing with Tkachuk...but wasn't their alternative losing him for nothing?

Maybe it was possible to do a Bo Horvat kind of trade and get a few younger guys not requiring a big deal right away instead...but as lateral moves go with respect to a player who doesn't want to be there, I think they did pretty well.

I mean...Montreal got not a whole lot for Patrick Roy and they had to throw in Mike Keane too.  We had to throw in Bret Hedican with Pavel Bure to get a 1st round pick that we squandered and Ed Jovanovski.  Jovanovski was good but he wasn't even that much better than Hedican, never mind Hedican PLUS Pavel Bure.  The Blackhawks had to throw in Bryan Marchment with Steve Larmer to get back...Patrick Poulin and Eric Weinrich.  These types of situations don't tend to work out to the advantage of the team being abandoned.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1