The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ‘Tis the Dog Days of Summer, Are we Thinging Before Training Camp?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

57 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Take everything a gm says with a grain of salt. As much as he’d like to tell the media things it shows his hand to every other NHL team. So he has to be very careful or even tell small lies to keep some leverage in negotiating. This is the same GM that said he didn’t really have any plans and then bought out OEL like a day or two later.

He argued against buyouts.  He didn't just say "my preference is to avoid buyouts" but instead went on to explain why it would hurt the Canucks.  If buying out OEL was the plan all along why argue against it.  Could have just said he doesn't like using buyouts and leave at that.  Perfecting the lie or forced to adjust his plans because unable to create cap space any other way.

Doubt other teams fall for that.  A trade can't be done without talking to other teams and GMs talk to each other.  Russo on his podcast has pointed out already a few times that he's learned about trades from other GMs who weren't involved.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

How about we try to bring Malhotra back as an associate coach or skills (face-off & PK) consultant?

He’s already an assistant coach in Toronto. I believe his next gig will be a head coaching job. 

Having said that, I wouldn’t be upset if he was our next head coach, preferably while the team isn’t stale.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

With the regime change in the butthole of the universe, I was hoping they'd start jettisoning their coaching staff.  Wishful thinking, I know, but there's always a possibility, no matter how small.  

Associate coach is a half-step up from Assistant, no?  Maybe that'll be enough to entice him?  :ph34r:

Well, they are keeping Keefe, for now at least. Not surprised there. Treedying will use him as a scapegoat after the next Leafs early postseason exit. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Mo Grit said:

Seems to me that by declaring OEL's buyout so early, Alvin clearly had a deal or two already up his sleeve.  I doubt Aqua sanction it otherwise.  Getting past the draft and then seeing which free agents we could sign today was essential before pulling the trigger on any trades - maybe Alvin already found what he wanted.  But I'd bet that at least a couple of these previously agreed deals will be finalized soon: could be tomorrow if Alvin's targets look to be gaining other GM's interest. For sure, today's opportunities will evaporate during July.

FWIW, Alvin grades an A from me for both drafting and FA day. 

That's a great point. Allvin's interests in Cole and Soucy were reported well in advance and that's exactly how it turned out today.

Such a contrast comparing to 2020 when Benning said he 'ran out of time' with his UFAs, losing both Toffoli and Tanev. This management had a clear plan in place going into the draft and free agency. Now let's see if they're able to make some trades. I won't be too disappointed if that doesn't happen given the tight cap, but I'd be even more impressed if Allvin can pull it off before the season starts.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

This was Button's take on what the Canucks need.  And I think Allvin did pretty much did that.

Craig Button didn’t think so. He crapped all over what Alvin did. He said Alvin is cornering the market on 5/6 defence men.

• Wat 1

31 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

Craig Button didn’t think so. He crapped all over what Alvin did. He said Alvin is cornering the market on 5/6 defence men.

He has some good takes at times, but I didn't like his segment here. We already traded for Hronek giving up two early round picks in a deep draft. Does he want Allvin to trade away our first and second rounders for the next decade? Who's actually trading away their top 4 D without asking for a ransom? The part that infuriates me the most is he compared us to Vegas which is ridiculous. Don't even get me started...

Edited by canuckwings

23 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

He has some good takes at times, but I didn't like his segment here. We already traded for Hronek giving up two early round picks in a deep draft. Does he want Allvin to trade away our first and second rounders for the next decade? Who's actually trading away their top 4 D without asking for a ransom? The part that infuriates me the most is he compared us to Vegas which is ridiculous. Don't even get me started...

We all know that if Craig Button was GM of the Canucks he wouldn’t make any mistakes. He would be able to trade players that nobody wants. He would be able to get two top four defence men even if they didn’t want to come here. And do it without cap space.

5 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

We all know that if Craig Button was GM of the Canucks he wouldn’t make any mistakes. He would be able to trade players that nobody wants. He would be able to get two top four defence men even if they didn’t want to come here. And do it without cap space.

He also has hair, which makes him entirely unqualified for the job 

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

So we are $2.5 million over the cap, which is the exact amount of the Poolman contract. Poolman 100% will be on LTIR. But Pearson may not be. So we will have to save his cap space until September when we know more about his situation. 

So it looks like we are done for now unless we make a trade. Myers or Garland need to be moved in order to bring in more players. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So we are $2.5 million over the cap, which is the exact amount of the Poolman contract. Poolman 100% will be on LTIR. But Pearson may not be. So we will have to save his cap space until September when we know more about his situation. 

So it looks like we are done for now unless we make a trade. Myers or Garland need to be moved in order to bring in more players. 

On Sports Central, they mentioned PA was in on Compher after Blueger was signed…so (apparently) Blueger was signed for 4C.

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Maybe there was a deal for Myers that didn’t go through?  San Jose…

Yeah, trying to make sense PA’s response when asked about that: “I thought I was clear Myers is part of our future”… could that be the near future of trade packages? Our future TDL plans? 

Jokes aside, he media’s been pretty accurate in their reporting on the Canucks…so, I think you’re right. They were probably counting on a Myers ($2.75M retained or similar) to SJS for future considerations

• Cheers 1