The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Reilly Smith to Penguins for 2024 3rd-round pick

Just now, King Heffy said:

Pretty surprised the Penguins ownership is stupid enough to let Dubas make trades without hiring someone qualified to make hockey decisions.

That was a solid trade for the Pens though?

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

I would argue that Garland still has value to us in that he can play in whatever capacity is asked of him, up or down.

He’s potentially top 6 on a bottom feeder, but definitely a utility player. He would be a nice fit with a club like CHI.
His price point is higher than what he provides (or is given enough consistency in a regular placement to provide) but perhaps he earns that elsewhere.

Boeser is unfortunately one dimensional and everyone league wide understands that. It’s messed up, given his point totals, that’s he’s considered a liability but his cost for range justifies that title. 

We have to pay to lose these guys unless we can incorporate them into some kind of need for need trade that simply works for respective position. 

Eg. Boeser + pick for overpriced 3C or Dman + pick).

I think that’s still possible with what might shake out this offseason. 

That's best case scenario.

I think realistically you still add something. Wingers just overall have less value than adding a C or a D, if they're similar in calibre to Garland (stat and cost wise)

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Still nothing.

It's why they haven't been moved.

If somebody was offering a 3rd round pick, they would be gone, and OEL probably still be on the roster.

The buyout wasn't going to be approved if there were other options, especially ones that returned assets.

People are insane if they still think Garland or Beau have ANY value.

Taylor Hall just went for nothing. Taylor f**king Hall. 

Kevin Hayes at 50% retained went for a 6th rounder.

It's mind boggling that we still have people talking about Garland like he is a f**king asset at this point.

To be fair, Taylor f**king Hall has 2 years left at a $6M cap hit and is coming off a year in which he missed 21 games and paced for 20 goals/27 assists. He lost his spot in the top 6 to Pavel Zacha. 

Garland had less goals but as many points for $1.05M less AAV and an extra year, Beauvillier produced slightly less but is almost $2M AAV cheaper and only has one year remaining. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

To be fair, Taylor f**king Hall has 2 years left at a $6M cap hit and is coming off a year in which he missed 21 games and paced for 20 goals/27 assists. He lost his spot in the top 6 to Pavel Zacha. 

Garland had less goals but as many points for $1.05M less AAV and an extra year, Beauvillier produced slightly less but is almost $2M AAV cheaper and only has one year remaining. 

Are you actually out here trying to say Garland has more value than Hall?

Welcome to CDC I guess.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

He was a beast in playoffs. He didnt lose his spot.. the bruins were a 3 line team. 

11 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

I think realistically you still add something. Wingers just overall have less value than adding a C or a D, if they're similar in calibre to Garland (stat and cost wise)

So yesterday I was surprised that Kevin Hayes didn't return something more then a 6th round pick considering that Philly was making him a 3.7 million center. 

Now Reilly Smith brings back a 3rd round pick and I'm back in the camp of believing that Garland would bring back a pick if he's traded. 

It could go either way but I really hope to see Beauvillier and Boeser traded first. Garland is a line driver, the other two are finishers who require a play driving center to produce. 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

So yesterday I was surprised that Kevin Hayes didn't return something more then a 6th round pick considering that Philly was making him a 3.7 million center. 

Now Reilly Smith brings back a 3rd round pick and I'm back in the camp of believing that Garland would bring back a pick if he's traded. 

It could go either way but I really hope to see Beauvillier and Boeser traded first. Garland is a line driver, the other two are finishers who require a play driving center to produce. 

Why?

Smith is a better player, playing a more premium position, coming off a Stanley Cup win. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

seems like a solid trade for the Pens 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Smith is a RW isn't he?

Yeah, I had thought he was LW/C, but when I looked closer than his faceof percentage, it was only for a handful of draws. (57% though)

He still plays a bigger role, he's a top PKer, and just as effective on the PP.

Loads of tangibles that still make him more valuable than guys like Garland who are strictly 5on5 capable.

49 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Pretty surprised the Penguins ownership is stupid enough to let Dubas make trades without hiring someone qualified to make hockey decisions.

You can't really say that when he made a good trade though :lol: