The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Market needs to stop the anxiety ridden framing of every argument.

Rate this topic

Phat Fingers

On 7/6/2023 at 7:17 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Sekeres is abusing the word Concern over and over in this clip.

as a person that understands the importance of language which is ironic cuz I am dyslexic as f**k, but it actually makes me more aware, but this guy sounds like my ex wife before I am about to go up a ladder to fix the roof…

She has concerns but I built the god dammed house and put the roof on in the first place and mounted a ladder and had fall arrest equipment on…. So she was only really concerned that I would come back down safely…. As I latter found out.

Sowing doubts is actually what it was and over time it eroded our understanding of what a real concern was and what a exaggeration was.

Constant exaggeration is a tactic in gaslighting and in law in in propaganda, with some truth and a lot of unscientific and or unspecific vague words like ‘Concerns’

’Fears’ and ‘If’.

Now it’s fear that Elias Pettersson will pull one of the rarest moves in hockey, pulling a Johnny Hockey and screwing over the team that drafted him, developed him and gave the wee fiend a top spot on the line up and built a line around him to make his career take off as much as he worked his ass off too.

Now how many players walk to FA?

How many super stars who are 1st line centres?

Statements like ‘It’s not like this team has ever prioritized Elias Pettersson…’ are beyond ridiculous.

he could have said that about Quinn Hughes after Luke Schenn was dealt and Hronek was on the shelf after the trade, but not after this draft and FA, so forget Podzkolsin, forget JT Miller, forget Kuzemenko, forget bringing the Sedins into the management and coaching and mentoring roles, forget getting totally Pro Coaching Bench with how many Cup Rings and or play off games between them, Tochett as a coach, Adam Foote and Gonchar?

Last season showed the division in the Locker Room,  with Bruce and Horvat having this love in when last year it JT an Bruce, with it causing friction.

Unless Bruce was directed by Alvin to ‘Pump and Dump’ but it looked like Bruce wanted JT to be the secondary second choice behind Elias and while Horvat scored a ton of goals, he was not a generator of offence with his line mates with a 2-1 goals to assist ratio last year.

it also made Horvat unaffordable for Vancouver to sign and was a change from last season where the offence went thru Elias to JT to Horvat.

but the idea that keeping Brock is not also for Elias, as they are close friends and Alvin addressing the long term deficit this team has had on Defence since the Mike Gillis days in terms of any development after Tanev.

Until Quinn Hughes.

So whether we have fixed the gaping hole on the back end, and over developed our forwards and forward depth much to benefit the offence and that is mostly Elias, it’s absurd to claim the club has rarely prioritized Pettersson.

Listen to Dwali, just don’t look at the shirt he is wearing it may cause a headache, and hear the interview with JP Barry, it was very chill and all parties understand that the deal is their to be made and they all needed to re charge and take whatever vacation time they have and come back in a month or 6 weeks.

Don Taylor was playing the role of Sekeres then and he quit pretty fast when it was just ignored by JP Barry after it was shot down the first time.

Next it will be ‘Is Demko healed or will he be as bad as the start to last season…?’ 

Which would make sense if Demko finished the year injured instead of playing very well, maybe too good as we slipped from 5th to 11th in the draft…

and he was injured and had corrective treatment and therapies in between his bad play, due to the injury that didn’t heal from the end of last season, and he returned look g like our Number One Goalie.

We bring in a solid number 5 D man that can bring a missing element to our game, being big and mean and able to back it up, while also having a scoring touch.

Then we bring in a solid veteran number 3 d man in Ian Cole and another depth d man with 500 games who is a local guy…

Plus add drafted players who are RHD and able to be effective players beyond their peers, especially Willander.

All positive steps and exactly the type of solid sound prudent moves we had to make after buying out OEL.

A+

Hronek was the big move and now the media are hand wringing about whether he will be ‘as advertised’ while only being stat watching, not having reviewed his play in Detroit and just on the 4 games or so he played solid sound minutes but was shut down for next season.

what is there to worry about,

go look at the YouTube Highlights and scouting videos and you’ll see he looks pretty decent and he was a sought after player by Alvin and Rutherford.

So if you are doubting Hronek and that deal without any reason too, your really just stirring the pot of controversy to drum up hits and listens and views.

Hey, it’s sports newscasting, so there is always an entertainment aspect and a tinge of theatre.

This is also what super shady news and or propaganda sites and media outlets spew all the time and we can do better and so can this crew.

Sekeres and Price are pretty good mostly and Patterson is fair enough, so is Dwali, if not a bit comic.

Just need to look optimistic in the middle of the off season about the unknown and really, if the Club and Bear have made a hand shake deal, which would truly benefit both sides in his unfortunately timed injury could be a silver lining scenario where it allowed Ian Cole to be added and have Soucy and Myers share the 4 spot minutes in a 4/5 role and not over work either unless the two streaky big guys get hot for a few games.

Alvin and the club view Bear as a legit 4th RHD guy, a capable defender and able to contribute on the score sheet too.

We have a much stronger team with Bear and it’s likely to go down with him being signed as the LTIR kicks in on Poolman.

The only fear, concern and if other than Bear atm I have about this off-season other than the usual ahl and or RFA players still left to work into the roster, is dumping a 4-6 million dollar surplus winger contract, or figuring out who can best step into a face off role and light duty as a Center cause we have some work left to make the cap and balance our top 4 lines… 

lol. 

"Sekeres and Price are pretty good mostly and Patterson is fair enough, so is Dwali, if not a bit comic"

Omfg your kidding right? Later when I stop laughing I might get into that... bush league comes to mind though.

5 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

To really delve deeper into things ... it's really not about the media but rather the people who listen to them and their need to be not only entertained at the expense of truth but also their need (and want) to be bulls****ed. 

Could not agree with you more, they THINK they know hockey, that is soooo funny! Especially their bullshi_ about us losing in the JTM trade.. idiots! 

Loved when JTM came in and scored a 100 points of FU! That was classic! 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, icycold said:

Could not agree with you more, they THINK they know hockey, that is soooo funny! Especially their bullshi_ about us losing in the JTM trade.. idiots! 

Loved when JTM came in and scored a 100 points of FU! That was classic! 

I remember King of Surrey roasting me for praising the Canucks for acquiring a 13 goal scorer.  Bringing that up ended any chirping from him until he got banned :lol:

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I remember King of Surrey roasting me for praising the Canucks for acquiring a 13 goal scorer.  Bringing that up ended any chirping from him until he got banned :lol:

Not much surprises anymore... If it's not one thing it's another... The painful existence of a Canucks fan!  Blah... Lol

• Haha 2

Another example ran past my mind, Kuzmenko, our stupid media said Kuz was over hyped and would probably take a year just to get used to the speed and size of the NHL..  

At the time, I thought who is this guy when he appeared out of nowhere so I did my scouting on his stats and highlights.. my mouth dropped and I started laughing my a$$ and thought to myself, how on earth can you see that kind of skill and snipery and miss that he made it look easy.. like stupidly easy! 

A year to acclimate? F off! Lmfao!!! 

Not only did he score like crazy, just a the right time too. I almost felt sorry for opposing goalies who had to face him in a shootout ffs!

I cannot believe these guys get paid, I really don't but their good at b.s and I think they honestly believe it! I really do...

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, icycold said:

Another example ran past my mind, Kuzmenko, our stupid media said Kuz was over hyped and would probably take a year just to get used to the speed and size of the NHL..  

At the time, I thought who is this guy when he appeared out of nowhere so I did my scouting on his stats and highlights.. my mouth dropped and I started laughing my a$$ and thought to myself, how on earth can you see that kind of skill and snipery and miss that he made it look easy.. like stupidly easy! 

Not only did he score like crazy, just a the right time too. I almost felt sorry for opposing goalies who had to face him in a shootout ffs!

I cannot believe these guys get paid, I really don't but their good at b.s and I think they honestly believe it! I really do...

That was a genuine concern, but to speak of it as an absolute and seeing it blow up in their faces was excellent. 

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That was a genuine concern, but to speak of it as an absolute and seeing it blow up in their faces was excellent. 

It is usually a concern but not from what I saw.. and what did we pay to get him exactly? That was the kicker... but JTM was the top of the mountain, after seeing him and Stamko's play together here and there, and what cap we got him at? Omfg lmao! But saying WE got fleeced? Like wtf?  That's exactly what they said! Verbatim! Fleeced? Are you kidding me, and guess what, most of Canucks nation joined right in... Like the blind leading the stupid..  

Can this stop now? Like Please! It's funny as F in one way but... It's getting OLD ffs! Lol

• Cheers 1

On 7/11/2023 at 10:20 PM, icycold said:

Who said this? You have a source? 

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Who said this? You have a source? 

A source? Are you kidding me? That was every one of them and most of the CDC after the media chirped their b.s. as usual.. were you not paying attention?  A single source? Surely you jest! That would be saying, what source said we got fleeced on JTM... 

On 7/8/2023 at 5:52 PM, Toews said:

It always amazes me when people say they don't enjoy the media coverage but then plug their links/videos and essentially drive traffic to their websites or Youtube channels. In this day and age the best thing you can do about irresponsible journalism is to ignore it completely. If you post about these people, you discuss their opinions, you are essentially driving engagement and these folks live of this stuff. In the age we live now, the best way to drive traffic is by being as controversial and provocative as possible. Sekeres and Drance probably smile at the number of posts on here complaining about their conduct. If you pop their names into search on CDC you would probably get far more hits than someone who is trying to make a living by the more traditional route like Imac and Sat.

Counter point, if you don't like the "anxiety ridden framing" by the media, don't talk about it. Media only exist as entertainment. If in generates conversation, good or bad, it's doing it's job.

This is the exact same argument I have about Drance. He's extremely good at his job, which is entertainment. Shah, Riccio,  Halford and Brough and likely others all get more air time then Drance on 650. But he usually generates the most conversation around the Canucks, even if that is people hating on his take. It's still generating conversation around his takes, which is why he has a job. 

If people truely didn't like it, it wouldn't exist because it wouldn't be good entertainment. Is there negative consequences in the diversity of opinions in our media, yes. But we also have one of the most engaged fanbase in the NHL and it's also likely in part a byproduct of our media.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, icycold said:

A source? Are you kidding me? That was every one of them and most of the CDC after the media chirped their b.s. as usual.. were you not paying attention?  A single source? Surely you jest! That would be saying, what source said we got fleeced on JTM... 

I listened to multiple Canucks and league podcasts and most were very reasonable with Kuzmenko... 

27 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I listened to multiple Canucks and league podcasts and most were very reasonable with Kuzmenko... 

Sources? Lmao! I never saw anything like what your describing at all, everything I read was about he'd take at least a season to adjust to the smaller faster NA game. 

I even made a thread about it arguing he has way to much skill for that to happen. Believe me, I wouldn't bother making a thread about it if what you said was true, what would be the point of the media said as you say? 

Edited by icycold

On 7/13/2023 at 4:42 PM, icycold said:

Sources? Lmao! I never saw anything like what your describing at all, everything I read was about he'd take at least a season to adjust to the smaller faster NA game. 

I even made a thread about it arguing he has way to much skill for that to happen. Believe me, I wouldn't bother making a thread about it if what you said was true, what would be the point of the media said as you say? 

I agree with your describing the handwringing in here when JT was signed.  I loved that signing at the time too.

But someone asking for a source is not unreasonable.  In most message board rules, you should back up any controversial or challenged claims with at least one source.  I typed in the key words "media kuzmenko needs time to adjust to nhl not ready" And sorry, but in the first page of articles that showed up on Google, none said anything about what you put out there.  I'm not saying there wasn't any articles on him not being ready etc. If you find one, post it.  There may well have been,  but if there was, it didn't have much legs, and was quickly snuffed out by his start to the season.

• Vintage 1

On 7/13/2023 at 4:42 PM, icycold said:

You are correct. Actually you couldn't be more correct.

Most media were pushing the "he may not be able to adjust" negative narrative rather than actually digging deeper to see his talent and positive attributes.

It was easier to spin that narrative than put in effort and legwork to think on their own. It's why we're at a horrible state with media because digging deeper takes more effort and is harder. It's easier to spin the "he may not adapt" narrative because it's not only easy, requires no thought, but also is rooted in enough truth to be somewhat correct.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

5 hours ago, kilgore said:

I agree with your describing the handwringing in here when JT was signed.  I loved that signing at the time too.

But someone asking for a source is not unreasonable.  In most message board rules, you should back up any controversial or challenged claims with at least one source.  I typed in the key words "media kuzmenko needs time to adjust to nhl not ready" And sorry, but in the first page of articles that showed up on Google, none said anything about what you put out there.  I'm not saying there wasn't any articles on him not being ready etc. If you find one, post it.  There may well have been,  but if there was, it didn't have much legs, and was quickly snuffed out by his start to the season.

Normally I wholeheartedly agree but it was all over the sports media news just like JTM.. if it wasn't that obvious I certainly would, there's no way I'd even think of it, it's like accusing someone without proof but everyone jumped on it, all one would have to do is go and look at the date around when he was signed and then read what was said. 

And I wasn't kidding that I made a thread about it, I even supplied a video where some said any young phenom can do that move and as true as that can be, one look at ALL his highlights showed a crazy amount of skill and I argued it was almost impossible for him to fail over here and he'd have zero problems racking up points.

And then the acclimation thing came in that it would take most of the season just to settle in and might pull off 10-20 goals.. 

Again... I argued too much skill and has enough speed to make it long before that.

Then he'll probably be soft and get beat up and go back because he couldn't handle the physically tougher play. 

And same with JTM, just a 3rd line player that was buried in a deep Tampa team, Fack I laughed about that and you know the rest, we got fleeced... 

Our media is simply pathetic at best, another thing to add to the fun of being a Canucks fan, yeah that was dripping sarcasm, the fun of having watched the same ole chit for the last 40 years that I've watched the zoo in action...

Nothing changes... Oh well.. it is getting rather old in the drama department I have to admit, yeah some of it is funny as ____ but sometimes it just makes you shake your head.. 

And the Kuzmenko kicker is we didn't risk anything by giving him a shot in the first place, if he'd have failed and headed back then whatever but yet, both JTM and Kuz are here thankfully and about to help give us a good shot at a cup for a change as soon as our depth gets in order and it seems to be headed in the right direction 

Sure we're going to have our glitches between now and then and you know the media will jump all over those and then pretend like they said nothing and jump on the bandwagon if Stanley did show up here... 

It just never ends... Same ole, same ole...

Edited by icycold

On 7/12/2023 at 12:47 AM, icycold said:

"Sekeres and Price are pretty good mostly and Patterson is fair enough, so is Dwali, if not a bit comic"

Omfg your kidding right? Later when I stop laughing I might get into that... bush league comes to mind though.

Hey I was being polite and at least Dwali actually has conversations with managers, agents and players.

Sekeres is the one I dislike and find Price reasonable and Donnie is just Donnie from back in the Sports Page TV days.

Bush league is BC and Sports Media to the majority of Canada and the US.

Its supernatural Bush League…

Normal hair clippers just won’t cut it…

lol

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Hey I was being polite and at least Dwali actually has conversations with managers, agents and players.

Sekeres is the one I dislike and find Price reasonable and Donnie is just Donnie from back in the Sports Page TV days.

Bush league is BC and Sports Media to the majority of Canada and the US.

Its supernatural Bush League…

Normal hair clippers just won’t cut it…

lol

The ironic thing I found especially funny is how pretty much all of them pushed that we trade for this player or that player in the last 2-3 seasons especially and guess what? The players they brought up were forwards.. always forwards, I was like wtf? We need more forwards when we still need trades for D that will show when exposed by the top teams? 

They still did this year too but thankfully Mgmnt went D as they should have. 

Man if this team was run by the Vancouver media, omfg.. we'd have the worst team in the league without hope in anything until maybe 2099 and that's being generous! 

It's beyond laughable when I hear them quoted here like they know all that much.

In reality, I've seen more than a few articles written here that were 10x more intelligent, well written, thought out, relevant, and researched. 

And those twits get paid for it?! I still find that funny as hell!!! 

On 7/14/2023 at 10:44 PM, icycold said:

Normally I wholeheartedly agree but it was all over the sports media news just like JTM.. if it wasn't that obvious I certainly would, there's no way I'd even think of it, it's like accusing someone without proof but everyone jumped on it, all one would have to do is go and look at the date around when he was signed and then read what was said. 

And I wasn't kidding that I made a thread about it, I even supplied a video where some said any young phenom can do that move and as true as that can be, one look at ALL his highlights showed a crazy amount of skill and I argued it was almost impossible for him to fail over here and he'd have zero problems racking up points.

And then the acclimation thing came in that it would take most of the season just to settle in and might pull off 10-20 goals.. 

Again... I argued too much skill and has enough speed to make it long before that.

Then he'll probably be soft and get beat up and go back because he couldn't handle the physically tougher play. 

And same with JTM, just a 3rd line player that was buried in a deep Tampa team, Fack I laughed about that and you know the rest, we got fleeced... 

Our media is simply pathetic at best, another thing to add to the fun of being a Canucks fan, yeah that was dripping sarcasm, the fun of having watched the same ole chit for the last 40 years that I've watched the zoo in action...

Nothing changes... Oh well.. it is getting rather old in the drama department I have to admit, yeah some of it is funny as ____ but sometimes it just makes you shake your head.. 

And the Kuzmenko kicker is we didn't risk anything by giving him a shot in the first place, if he'd have failed and headed back then whatever but yet, both JTM and Kuz are here thankfully and about to help give us a good shot at a cup for a change as soon as our depth gets in order and it seems to be headed in the right direction 

Sure we're going to have our glitches between now and then and you know the media will jump all over those and then pretend like they said nothing and jump on the bandwagon if Stanley did show up here... 

It just never ends... Same ole, same ole...

On Kuzmenko, I agree that there was probably some in the media who questioned how ready Kuz might be for the NHL, right after he signed here.  A shorter season in the KHL. Less skill to play against there. A new culture and language to deal with. etc etc.. I'm saying this from my memory.  I do remember a few off the cuff questions right after he was signed from radio personalities. They have to fill their time slots. But I found no actual articles written with the topic being about a concern with his NA game.  Unless you have a source.  Here is one early article by MacIntyre after the first times we saw him at training camp,  Where he was already impressing media and fans alike

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/rookie-kuzmenko-shows-early-star-potential-at-canucks-camp/

Rookie Kuzmenko shows early star potential at Canucks camp

I can understand raising those questions before he got here. Perfectly legitimate questions that might come up on talk radio.  I think we were all asking them. And hoping for the best.  And the best is pretty much what we got from the get go.  And so the media, and fans, had their answer.  And pretty much shut up about questioning his readiness once the season began.  I just don't see any controversy or overstepping their roles in simply asking these questions especially before he played a game in NA.

Totally different if a pundit was going on about being certain that Kuzmenko WOULD be a bust, not fit in, be bad at the NHL game, etc... (And I don't know how they could if he hadn't actually played here yet.) Its easy to say.."it was all over the sports media" but then its kinda difficult to take you seriously if you can't produce just one article to back that up.

Questioning JTs signing...yes I can find one source easy. .......one minute later..... Canucks Army did a piece on that

https://canucksarmy.com/news/9-reasons-hate-canucks-jt-miller-extension

I just think there are so many other more legitimate dumb, and incendiary things some say in our sports media that to use this is a weak example, and takes away from the more egregious crimes of idiots and rumour mongers like Sekeres.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1