The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Market needs to stop the anxiety ridden framing of every argument.

Rate this topic

Phat Fingers

IMHO, I think it is time to stop thinking about Vancouver sports commentators as "the media". Newspapers are nearly dead and have laid off most of their reporters. The only regular print guys still around are Patrick Johnson and Ben Kuzma. Radio has been devastated and there is talk of more Rogers downsizing. And it is everywhere in North America, not just Vancouver. So what we are left with is a flock of bloggers and podcasters who have created and populated their own little worlds where they are not obliged to follow even the most basic journalistic principles and practices. They are selling opinion as fact, and like rats attacking a rotting dead animal, they want to create a frenzy. They also want to be the centre of attention, which is more than a little annoying. 

• There it is 4

5 hours ago, kilgore said:

On Kuzmenko, I agree that there was probably some in the media who questioned how ready Kuz might be for the NHL, right after he signed here.  A shorter season in the KHL. Less skill to play against there. A new culture and language to deal with. etc etc.. I'm saying this from my memory.  I do remember a few off the cuff questions right after he was signed from radio personalities. They have to fill their time slots. But I found no actual articles written with the topic being about a concern with his NA game.  Unless you have a source.  Here is one early article by MacIntyre after the first times we saw him at training camp,  Where he was already impressing media and fans alike

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/rookie-kuzmenko-shows-early-star-potential-at-canucks-camp/

Rookie Kuzmenko shows early star potential at Canucks camp

I can understand raising those questions before he got here. Perfectly legitimate questions that might come up on talk radio.  I think we were all asking them. And hoping for the best.  And the best is pretty much what we got from the get go.  And so the media, and fans, had their answer.  And pretty much shut up about questioning his readiness once the season began.  I just don't see any controversy or overstepping their roles in simply asking these questions especially before he played a game in NA.

Totally different if a pundit was going on about being certain that Kuzmenko WOULD be a bust, not fit in, be bad at the NHL game, etc... (And I don't know how they could if he hadn't actually played here yet.) Its easy to say.."it was all over the sports media" but then its kinda difficult to take you seriously if you can't produce just one article to back that up.

Questioning JTs signing...yes I can find one source easy. .......one minute later..... Canucks Army did a piece on that

https://canucksarmy.com/news/9-reasons-hate-canucks-jt-miller-extension

I just think there are so many other more legitimate dumb, and incendiary things some say in our sports media that to use this is a weak example, and takes away from the more egregious crimes of idiots and rumour mongers like Sekeres.

Well when someone casts that kind of shite instead of wait and see, that where I call out the stupidity. I agree that yes there was a possibility but super slim, however coming out and saying he's not going to be that good and it will take at least a year or more IF he turns out at all, the turns out part is fine, but assessing it will take a year and he hasn't even played a single game is nothing but trolling words. Now if they said "may or might" a year is reasonable.. I'm not against reasonable, at all. 

Remember when Horvat was labelled as a career 3rd line center because his skating wasn't that great, as if skating can't be worked on and they ended up eating crow AGAIN, and I'm sure you remember how they ran with what Burke said about Petey being too slender to have much success at the NHL level, well more crow to the menu...  It's f'n endless the b.s Vancouver media and online hacks spews.

And for the cherry on top, I read countless trade targets at forward when everyone and his dog could see we desperately needed D and guess what? Our D got exposed and then they ranted for D finally... 

And the cherry on top is really the tip of the iceberg as far as that goes, I've been watching for almost 40 years now and it's been the same $hit over and over... With the "sell the farm" b.s. mixed in that never worked either..

And then of course the fans who believe their $hit and come on the boards quoting it was if was gospel or something, which is hilarious! 

Will it ever stop? Maybe if we win 10 Cups in a row, Maybe!!!

• Thanks 1

I've always thought the reason our media is constantly negative and loves to stir the spot is because for years now the mandate from the owners is to actively keep them in the dark.

There hasn't been a trade or re-signing leaked here in a very long-time, instead we get rumours like Demko wants out, JT wants to go back to the states etc etc.

10 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I've always thought the reason our media is constantly negative and loves to stir the spot is because for years now the mandate from the owners is to actively keep them in the dark.

There hasn't been a trade or re-signing leaked here in a very long-time, instead we get rumours like Demko wants out, JT wants to go back to the states etc etc.

So, it all boils down to a temper tantrum thrown by the media for not knowing what they are not entitled to know?

13 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Dirty laundry sells.. or clickbait... Whatever..

It's interesting ... I watched a few Canucks related media clips this week from the past six months and noticed a common theme. 

The media acts as though the Canucks are in a rebuild and then craps all over various moves because they go against a rebuild ... when ... IN FACT ... JR and Allvin have repeatedly said we're not rebuilding ... and it's been obvious. 

The TSN/Button/Hronek video I posted in the Happy Hronek thread ... Jay Onrait literally framed his argument at the very start of the clip around the Canucks rebuilding ... when we aren't rebuilding. I wish Button would have corrected him right away. 

Also, in the D&D video with Button in the same thread ... Don Taylor did the same thing. 

I wish guests or panelists would take these guys to task. 

• Cheers 2

I'm glad you posted this. 

The local media comes up lame on a daily basis. Now there is a group, small at that, that have actually played a high level of competitive sports.

Then there's a group of the local sports media that I wonder if they even played ruler hockey in grade 5? 

Regardless of the sport the local sports media is simply flooded regardless of subject or opinion.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's interesting ... I watched a few Canucks related media clips this week from the past six months and noticed a common theme. 

The media acts as though the Canucks are in a rebuild and then craps all over various moves because they go against a rebuild ... when ... IN FACT ... JR and Allvin have repeatedly said we're not rebuilding ... and it's been obvious. 

The TSN/Button/Hronek video I posted in the Happy Hronek thread ... Jay Onrait literally framed his argument at the very start of the clip around the Canucks rebuilding ... when we aren't rebuilding. I wish Button would have corrected him right away. 

Also, in the D&D video with Button in the same thread ... Don Taylor did the same thing. 

I wish guests or panelists would take these guys to task. 

Well, you are correct, but the Canucks should have started rebuilding in 2012 and stuck with it.

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

Well, you are correct, but the Canucks should have started rebuilding in 2012 and stuck with it.

I agree 100% ... but that's kinda my point ... the media argues from the "should have" or "should" rebuild rather than what is ... it's fantasy over fact ... we're actually not rebuilding  ... we're going for it ...

So arguing "what if" fantasy is like an episode of Fantasy Island where a former Canucks GM travels to the island and Mr. Rourke and Tattoo serve as Assistant GMs in a fantasy based on "should have" rebuilt the team to win.

• There it is 1

13 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Hindsight is a biotch aint it. 

I'm getting a strong feeling that we are on a long path to no where right now as well. The reality is Pete Hughes Demko are great pieces and they give us false hope. The team built around them is a house of cards. 

If we weren't able to compete with

Miller 5.5

Pete  7.35

Kuzz putting up 40g @ sub 1m

Demko 5m

These are hugely efficient contracts that more than offset the inefficiency of Myers, Brock, and OEL who was great in his first year. 

When we factor in the present 

Pete will be north of 11

Hronek north of 7

Miller 8 

OEL 4 

Kuzz 5.5

our teams combined cap will increase 13-14m for essentially the same product we can shuffle the deck around them but the cold reality is we go all in this year this is as good as this team gets. This is the teams last gasp before it's time to tear Aqua/Bennings team down and sell high. We didn't re build when the writing was on the wall last time. This time we are in a much better position to actually be able to re build this team correctly. 2025 looks like a hell of a draft year. 2024 is loaded with D. If MGMT has the huevos they will take this team as far as they can go and then dissolve it. We simply do not have the foundation to be legitimate contenders. 

Paper bag me if you wish.

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Hindsight is a biotch aint it. 

I'm getting a strong feeling that we are on a long path to no where right now as well. The reality is Pete Hughes Demko are great pieces and they give us false hope. The team built around them is a house of cards. 

If we weren't able to compete with

Miller 5.5

Pete  7.35

Kuzz putting up 40g @ sub 1m

Demko 5m

These are hugely efficient contracts that more than offset the inefficiency of Myers, Brock, and OEL who was great in his first year. 

When we factor in the present 

Pete will be north of 11

Hronek north of 7

Miller 8 

OEL 4 

Kuzz 5.5

our teams combined cap will increase 13-14m for essentially the same product we can shuffle the deck around them but the cold reality is we go all in this year this is as good as this team gets. This is the teams last gasp before it's time to tear Aqua/Bennings team down and sell high. We didn't re build when the writing was on the wall last time. This time we are in a much better position to actually be able to re build this team correctly. 2025 looks like a hell of a draft year. 2024 is loaded with D. If MGMT has the huevos they will take this team as far as they can go and then dissolve it. We simply do not have the foundation to be legitimate contenders. 

Paper bag me if you wish.

Looney Tunes Oops GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

Unfortunately you are most likely correct. This league is hard enough without the constant waste of assets and cap. The year after this one will be our best shot. The window is tiny.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI...

Trade proposals ARE NOT news.

I'm seeing this on the daily now with so many outlets writing trade proposals and reporting them as if they're rumour. And then other outlets are picking them up as if they're legit. 

Lol ... they're literally (and blatantly) making up stories. 

This is actually crazy. And crazier to think people actually fall for this.

• There it is 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

FYI...

Trade proposals ARE NOT news.

I'm seeing this on the daily now with so many outlets writing trade proposals and reporting them as if they're rumour. And then other outlets are picking them up as if they're legit. 

Lol ... they're literally (and blatantly) making up stories. 

This is actually crazy. And crazier to think people actually fall for this.

Yeah, they have misleading titles and unfortunately I fell for one of them and to see it was only a proposal, I was irritated because they passed it off as news, like it really happened. No more clicking for me!

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel bad for media in this town because there isn’t much to cover or talk about. Their only possible positive argument for the Canucks is, “if everything goes right and everyone stays healthy they could sneak into the playoffs as a wild card team” year after year. How do you put a positive happy spin on terrible cap management, terrible free agent signings, trading away draft picks and rarely making picks in the first two rounds, coaching change chaos, historically bad PK, injury problems, an all time terrible buy out just to field a roster, they even had the worst covid outbreak in the NHL. 

Luckily this management team has had a competent off-season and I haven’t heard anything negative about it even from the so called negative media members, 

This guy lives for engagement without giving anything real to engage with. 

Here’s an article he wrote earlier this summer. Barely a couple hundred words about how Hoglander being waived exempt means he might start in the AHL. only problem is… Hoglander isn’t waiver exempt! He will need waivers to go to the AHL, but Sekeres suggests he needs to play 2 more NHL games before being waiver eligible.

The entire premise of the article is wrong! Yet it is still up with no correction or edit added

how this passes as journalism is beyond me. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/waiver-eligibility-nils-hoglander-canucks

On 7/20/2023 at 3:17 AM, Alienhuggyflow said:

I think they stopped giving info because of how the media used it and also how they treated the team at times. It's no secret Burke despised some of the media. And to go stand in Todd Bertuzzi's front yard with his wife and kids inside was a bit much.

Bit the hand that fed them.

Also, I think that's pretty common for most teams to keep their cards close to their chest.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I think they stopped giving info because of how the media used it and also how they treated the team at times. It's no secret Burke despised some of the media. And to go stand in Todd Bertuzzi's front yard with his wife and kids inside was a bit much.

Bit the hand that fed them.

Also, I think that's pretty common for most teams to keep their cards close to their chest.

I remember that incident with Bertuzzi and unfortunately I have met that reporter in question and he’s a smug arrogant piece of garbage for real. Ted Chernecki, I think that’s how his name is spelled. Doesn’t matter. He is in love with himself.