The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Market needs to stop the anxiety ridden framing of every argument.

Rate this topic

Phat Fingers

13 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not saying that the philosophy is acceptable, but in many circles, controversy sells.  When a site's existence depends on hit rate and free marketing driven by "mentions" outside its main viewership, the easiest way to game the system is to say outrageous, controversial stuff to drive the traffic towards it.  They might not even believe half the drivel they spew, but as long as their ears hear "cha-ching" resulting from the traffic to their site, they might even be willing to throw their own kids under the bus. :rolleyes:

I know that in some ways this is a necessary evil of the sports news, especially in a market like Vancouver with no play offs.

Shit season for the media fisherman this year, in a boom or bust economy where the playoffs is so beneficial to the secondary media and needed promoters of the sports and entertainment industry in Vancouver.

I get the limits of the market, but it is really a rebranded Crypt Keeper style of ‘journalism’ with more hand wringing and less wit and venom.

Gallagher could but on a clinic and played the Heel better than most.

But save the fretting and anxiety worded stuff.

Things are getting harder out there, we have a right wing agenda that uses the same tactics and rhetoric in their political campaigns and adds with some Fox News level broadcasting styles know fully found on CTV news and others.

the heart bear style music at intros and using words like massive, exteme and one sided framing to only look at the worst possible outcome and make it appear like it is already happening.

When this year in BC and Canada and the world and legit fears that Putin may just blow up the largest Nuclear Power Station in Europe as hissing fit of spoiled child turned megalomaniac, I would prefer a more realistic and less hyperbolic and hysterical approach to non serous and life threatening situations.

• Vintage 2

Youtube is not a better way to get a feel for a player than stats.  

Watching highlights hardly gives a fulsome view of a player.

A+ for an offseason where we signed 2 depth Defenceman and a depth centre all of which need to play higher in the lineup than they have historically in the past after an 8 year buyout handicapping us.  That is setting the bar very, very low for an A+.

We do need to prioritize getting EP signed.  If can't or won't then we need to be ready for a sell off this season and actually take a run at a local superstar going into the draft instead of trying to do everything you can to avoid one when out of the playoffs one month into the season.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

It is the legacy of Tony Gallagher, a bitter little sports journalist who hated athletes and developed a very cynical brand and voice that carried on far too long in the Vancouver market.  

Ethically dubious as well.

The crypt keeper was just following in Neil McCrea and "tiger' Al Davidson's footsteps.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Youtube is not a better way to get a feel for a player than stats.  

Watching highlights hardly gives a fulsome view of a player.

A+ for an offseason where we signed 2 depth Defenceman and a depth centre all of which need to play higher in the lineup than they have historically in the past after an 8 year buyout handicapping us.  That is setting the bar very, very low for an A+.

We do need to prioritize getting EP signed.  If can't or won't then we need to be ready for a sell off this season and actually take a run at a local superstar going into the draft instead of trying to do everything you can to avoid one when out of the playoffs one month into the season.

Itch,

Of course it’s a low bar.

Not f**king up is the whole goal now with FA while addressing gaps in a lineup.

We have a Number 1 D man, the club believes that we have a number 2 guy and the number 4 guy got hurt,

Ian Cole is a 3rd guy in Tampa Bay, he is a 3rd on our roster, for 3 mil on one year.

we did not over spend and took on no deal over 3 years.

Whew.

what a relief and A+ for not screwing up the future for an FA…

priceless.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

The crypt keeper was just following in Neil McCrea and "tiger' Al Davidson's footsteps.

No Neil told it like it was. He would spout off from time to time. He was nothing like Crypt Keeper. Tony was technically a very good writer in terms of composition.

He was just in the wrong field. If he was a business reporter it would have suited him perfectly. Because the business side of hockey seemed to be the only part of the game

he had a solid grasp on. He never seemed to understand the ebb and flow of a game.

Media now and the other side Business and Politics play spin games They don't just stick to facts and let people decide. They just pander to the consumers prejudices.

Be it print/TV/etc. What makes me mad is politics seems to just be about image, and nothing gets done. And compromises don't get made to get deals done.

It's very much a Us vs. Them world. And we're going to fall apart unless we start to work together.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Sad but true... I consciously choose not to click on suckass and lice.  Sadness me that their view seem to be increasing.  However that seems to correlate with them increasing the volume of content they puke out.  

Overall I just ignore... If I am curious, I'll turn volume on without clicking on their site, so that my view doesn't register as a viewing.  Regardless... Even if I watch a segment from time to time... Consistently, I'm disappointed with their show.  They just suck... So ungenuine.  Contempt is palatable with them.

Yea I know I am part of the problem. I see the words Petey extension and I get curious :picard:. Usually I'll try to just stick to The Hockey Guy for any news on the Canucks.

• Cheers 2