The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Market needs to stop the anxiety ridden framing of every argument.

Rate this topic

Phat Fingers

It always amazes me when people say they don't enjoy the media coverage but then plug their links/videos and essentially drive traffic to their websites or Youtube channels. In this day and age the best thing you can do about irresponsible journalism is to ignore it completely. If you post about these people, you discuss their opinions, you are essentially driving engagement and these folks live of this stuff. In the age we live now, the best way to drive traffic is by being as controversial and provocative as possible. Sekeres and Drance probably smile at the number of posts on here complaining about their conduct. If you pop their names into search on CDC you would probably get far more hits than someone who is trying to make a living by the more traditional route like Imac and Sat.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

I wonder what happened to those dinosaurs like Russell and Pratt.

Dan Russell wrote a book. Dave Pratt isn't doing much of anything. He said he's waiting for the phone to ring in a recent interview. Pratt has no kids so he probably doesn't need the money that badly 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Dan Russell wrote a book. Dave Pratt isn't doing much of anything. He said he's waiting for the phone to ring in a recent interview. Pratt has no kids so he probably doesn't need the money that badly 

The best sports radio show to ever air in B.C.

Had the top 2 regular guests/ segments ever as well.

Brian Burke, and 'rocket' Rod Beaton.

Beaton was absolutely AMAZING.

Caller " Hey, Rod what do you think of the Reds 3rd baseman playing in Tuscaloosa?"

" Like him, he's 5'11" weighs in at about 195 lbs, bats right, hits for average and power. Coaches say it will be a couple of years, but should make the show as their MLB and AAA ball players are aging out."

Caller " Rod, what do you know about that pitcher the Angels picked up in the supplemental draft?"

Rod " Tall, lanky, left hander with a wicked curve ball. Team is going to have to work on helping him disguise his pitches, though as his fast ball can be quite hittable if he's not careful.

An absolute encyclopedia of knowledge, decades before the web put everything at our finger tips.

I was in awe of that dude.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

then Dan got bitter and lost focus.

Not getting a shot at being play by play guy, and the introduction of "circus time" was the beginning of the end.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The show that Drance co hosts on 650 has gone on vacation-replaced by Blue Jays talk out of Toronto.

So Bell makes billions opf dollars, but can't bring in a local summer replacement show?

Wouldn't have to be Canuck talk.

Do an entire show on The Lions, Whitecaps, Vancouver Canadians or even local golf tourneys.

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

The show that Drance co hosts on 650 has gone on vacation-replaced by Blue Jays talk out of Toronto.

So Bell makes billions opf dollars, but can't bring in a local summer replacement show?

Wouldn't have to be Canuck talk.

Do an entire show on The Lions, Whitecaps, Vancouver Canadians or even local golf tourneys.

Well, Pratt is available.:lol:

• Cheers 1

On 7/6/2023 at 7:38 AM, Dazzle said:

Wasn't Sekeres the same dude that claimed Hughes was the guy with COVID, only for it to be debunked?

All 3 are clueless, end of story. So is the way of bush league Vancouver media to begin with. 

The CDC could come up with better articles by a country mile or 100... Actually no, not could, "HAS already"

and those clowns think they know much? Omfg! How laughable can it get?

• Cheers 1

I don’t know what people want, just to accept mediocrity? No playoffs in 7 of 8 years and the one time we made it was an expanded bubble * tournament. After all that losing we have a weak farm system with no centers on the way, no cap space, very poor depth, a bunch of dead money for the next 8 years, we have Miller signed to a win now contract that will age terribly like all contracts that go into the mid thirties, only control our 3 young core players for 2, 3, and 4 years before they either leave or demand massive raises. 

Has this team really improved, a healthy scratch center with a career high 28 points gets 1.9 million somehow? And he’ll be the third line C? And I understand he’s good on the PK, which has been historically bad, I guess it’s anti Canuck to point that out. I like the D additions but everything I’ve read says Soucey struggled with more than 15-17 minutes, so let’s just pencil him right into the top 4. He also takes a bunch of penalties just like Cole. 

And that’s it, that’s the off-season, we were much better down the middle last year with 40, miller, and horvat, couldn’t win with that great depth. they fooled me last year but I’m not falling for it this time. Everything has to go perfectly, healthiest season we’ve ever seen, Hronek has to be a legit number 2, Demko has to bounce back and stay healthy, Kuz has to match or exceed last year. 

Edited by Sylas
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sylas said:

I don’t know what people want, just to accept mediocrity? No playoffs in 7 of 8 years and the one time we made it was an expanded bubble * tournament. After all that losing we have a weak farm system with no centers on the way, no cap space, very poor depth, a bunch of dead money for the next 8 years, we have Miller signed to a win now contract that will age terribly like all contracts that go into the mid thirties, only control our 3 young core players for 2, 3, and 4 years before they either leave or demand massive raises. 

Has this team really improved, a healthy scratch center with a career high 28 points gets 1.9 million somehow? And he’ll be the third line C? And I understand he’s good on the PK, which has been historically bad, I guess it’s anti Canuck to point that out. I like the D additions but everything I’ve read says Soucey struggled with more than 15-17 minutes, so let’s just pencil him right into the top 4. He also takes a bunch of penalties just like Cole. 

And that’s it, that’s the off-season, we were much better down the middle last year with 40, miller, and horvat, couldn’t win with that great depth. they fooled me last year but I’m not falling for it this time. Everything has to go perfectly, healthiest season we’ve ever seen, Hronek has to be a legit number 2, Demko has to bounce back and stay healthy, Kuz has to match or exceed last year. 

That's the spirit!

• Haha 2

On 7/6/2023 at 4:17 PM, Phat Fingers said:

Sekeres is abusing the word Concern over and over in this clip.

as a person that understands the importance of language which is ironic cuz I am dyslexic as f**k, but it actually makes me more aware, but this guy sounds like my ex wife before I am about to go up a ladder to fix the roof…

She has concerns but I built the god dammed house and put the roof on in the first place and mounted a ladder and had fall arrest equipment on…. So she was only really concerned that I would come back down safely…. As I latter found out.

Sowing doubts is actually what it was and over time it eroded our understanding of what a real concern was and what a exaggeration was.

Constant exaggeration is a tactic in gaslighting and in law in in propaganda, with some truth and a lot of unscientific and or unspecific vague words like ‘Concerns’

’Fears’ and ‘If’.

Now it’s fear that Elias Pettersson will pull one of the rarest moves in hockey, pulling a Johnny Hockey and screwing over the team that drafted him, developed him and gave the wee fiend a top spot on the line up and built a line around him to make his career take off as much as he worked his ass off too.

Now how many players walk to FA?

How many super stars who are 1st line centres?

Statements like ‘It’s not like this team has ever prioritized Elias Pettersson…’ are beyond ridiculous.

he could have said that about Quinn Hughes after Luke Schenn was dealt and Hronek was on the shelf after the trade, but not after this draft and FA, so forget Podzkolsin, forget JT Miller, forget Kuzemenko, forget bringing the Sedins into the management and coaching and mentoring roles, forget getting totally Pro Coaching Bench with how many Cup Rings and or play off games between them, Tochett as a coach, Adam Foote and Gonchar?

Last season showed the division in the Locker Room,  with Bruce and Horvat having this love in when last year it JT an Bruce, with it causing friction.

Unless Bruce was directed by Alvin to ‘Pump and Dump’ but it looked like Bruce wanted JT to be the secondary second choice behind Elias and while Horvat scored a ton of goals, he was not a generator of offence with his line mates with a 2-1 goals to assist ratio last year.

it also made Horvat unaffordable for Vancouver to sign and was a change from last season where the offence went thru Elias to JT to Horvat.

but the idea that keeping Brock is not also for Elias, as they are close friends and Alvin addressing the long term deficit this team has had on Defence since the Mike Gillis days in terms of any development after Tanev.

Until Quinn Hughes.

So whether we have fixed the gaping hole on the back end, and over developed our forwards and forward depth much to benefit the offence and that is mostly Elias, it’s absurd to claim the club has rarely prioritized Pettersson.

Listen to Dwali, just don’t look at the shirt he is wearing it may cause a headache, and hear the interview with JP Barry, it was very chill and all parties understand that the deal is their to be made and they all needed to re charge and take whatever vacation time they have and come back in a month or 6 weeks.

Don Taylor was playing the role of Sekeres then and he quit pretty fast when it was just ignored by JP Barry after it was shot down the first time.

Next it will be ‘Is Demko healed or will he be as bad as the start to last season…?’ 

Which would make sense if Demko finished the year injured instead of playing very well, maybe too good as we slipped from 5th to 11th in the draft…

and he was injured and had corrective treatment and therapies in between his bad play, due to the injury that didn’t heal from the end of last season, and he returned look g like our Number One Goalie.

We bring in a solid number 5 D man that can bring a missing element to our game, being big and mean and able to back it up, while also having a scoring touch.

Then we bring in a solid veteran number 3 d man in Ian Cole and another depth d man with 500 games who is a local guy…

Plus add drafted players who are RHD and able to be effective players beyond their peers, especially Willander.

All positive steps and exactly the type of solid sound prudent moves we had to make after buying out OEL.

A+

Hronek was the big move and now the media are hand wringing about whether he will be ‘as advertised’ while only being stat watching, not having reviewed his play in Detroit and just on the 4 games or so he played solid sound minutes but was shut down for next season.

what is there to worry about,

go look at the YouTube Highlights and scouting videos and you’ll see he looks pretty decent and he was a sought after player by Alvin and Rutherford.

So if you are doubting Hronek and that deal without any reason too, your really just stirring the pot of controversy to drum up hits and listens and views.

Hey, it’s sports newscasting, so there is always an entertainment aspect and a tinge of theatre.

This is also what super shady news and or propaganda sites and media outlets spew all the time and we can do better and so can this crew.

Sekeres and Price are pretty good mostly and Patterson is fair enough, so is Dwali, if not a bit comic.

Just need to look optimistic in the middle of the off season about the unknown and really, if the Club and Bear have made a hand shake deal, which would truly benefit both sides in his unfortunately timed injury could be a silver lining scenario where it allowed Ian Cole to be added and have Soucy and Myers share the 4 spot minutes in a 4/5 role and not over work either unless the two streaky big guys get hot for a few games.

Alvin and the club view Bear as a legit 4th RHD guy, a capable defender and able to contribute on the score sheet too.

We have a much stronger team with Bear and it’s likely to go down with him being signed as the LTIR kicks in on Poolman.

The only fear, concern and if other than Bear atm I have about this off-season other than the usual ahl and or RFA players still left to work into the roster, is dumping a 4-6 million dollar surplus winger contract, or figuring out who can best step into a face off role and light duty as a Center cause we have some work left to make the cap and balance our top 4 lines… 

lol. 

If the Media is over anxious it's only because the organization hasn't earned anything that give them the benefit of the doubt. 

We also have to remember how much we derided the media for being negative only for reality to strike us in our faces. I remember last few years how people said the media was overly negative and reacting but they have been more right than we have in the outcome of this team.

I remember years ago Rey Ferraro was critical on the moves Canucks have made but people here just brushed things off. 

If anything I think some of us here (or even many) are too easy to accept what Management does (either Allvin or Benning) that we become too overly optimistic and, at time, arrogant.

I think someone in Sportsnet said it best what arrogance do people think that the Canucks are a playoff (dare I say even top 3 division team) when the Vegas odd makers, who do this professionally and build data models to predict the outcome, had mostly the Canucks missing the playoffs? 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

If the Media is over anxious it's only because the organization hasn't earned anything that give them the benefit of the doubt. 

We also have to remember how much we derided the media for being negative only for reality to strike us in our faces. I remember last few years how people said the media was overly negative and reacting but they have been more right than we have in the outcome of this team.

I remember years ago Rey Ferraro was critical on the moves Canucks have made but people here just brushed things off. 

If anything I think some of us here (or even many) are too easy to accept what Management does (either Allvin or Benning) that we become too overly optimistic and, at time, arrogant.

I think someone in Sportsnet said it best what arrogance do people think that the Canucks are a playoff (dare I say even top 3 division team) when the Vegas odd makers, who do this professionally and build data models to predict the outcome, had mostly the Canucks missing the playoffs? 

We had great management with Gillis and media reflected that. Then the Benning era came and guys like Ray (and others) were very critical of management and our owner’s involvement in hockey ops. Now we clearly have great management again. But the Benning stains left on our club are more than just on the ice. Lots of people still have PBSD. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

We had great management with Gillis and media reflected that. Then the Benning era came and guys like Ray (and others) were very critical of management and our owner’s involvement in hockey ops. Now we clearly have great management again. But the Benning stains left on our club are more than just on the ice. Lots of people still have PBSD. 

Do we though?  Seems better in some aspects certainly but not sure the sum of the parts is even good management at this point.  Not as tragically bad but still lots of yellow flags at least.

Horrible cap management.  Hard bought cap space squandered on middling UFAs when cap space had it's highest historical value.  Yeah they didn't cripple us with long term deals for lower end players but that is just average management at best.  8 years of cap restriction for buying what have been 2 depth Defenceman and the 5th centre on Vegas.

Still has not moved a cent off the wing other than sliding a winger into the middle because you left yourself with one NHL centre.

Made one good trade that they backed themselves into a corner on and had to make.  Then slightly overpaid for an injured D man who complicated the cap further.

Don't forget the non-stop lineup of PR problems.

Better than Benning yes, great though has not been earned.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 1

On 7/8/2023 at 5:52 PM, Toews said:

It always amazes me when people say they don't enjoy the media coverage but then plug their links/videos and essentially drive traffic to their websites or Youtube channels. In this day and age the best thing you can do about irresponsible journalism is to ignore it completely. If you post about these people, you discuss their opinions, you are essentially driving engagement and these folks live of this stuff. In the age we live now, the best way to drive traffic is by being as controversial and provocative as possible. Sekeres and Drance probably smile at the number of posts on here complaining about their conduct. If you pop their names into search on CDC you would probably get far more hits than someone who is trying to make a living by the more traditional route like Imac and Sat.

I back my words/opinion up as best I can. 

I will not listen to AM650 when local programming is on, with the exception being Vancouver Canadians baseball
I turn the TV Channel during any intermission that involves Satiar Shah or Thomas Drance. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Do we though?  Seems better in some aspects certainly but not sure the sum of the parts is even good management at this point.  Not as tragically bad but still lots of yellow flags at least.

Horrible cap management.  Hard bought cap space squandered on middling UFAs when cap space had it's highest historical value.  Yeah they didn't cripple us with long term deals for lower end players but that is just average management at best.  8 years of cap restriction for buying what have been 2 depth Defenceman and the 5th centre on Vegas.

Still has not moved a cent off the wing other than sliding a winger into the middle because you left yourself with one NHL centre.

Made one good trade that they backed themselves into a corner on and had to make.  Then slightly overpaid for an injured D man who complicated the cap further.

Don't forget the non-stop lineup of PR problems.

Better than Benning yes, great though has not been earned.

Nice try, but (again) you’re wrong. Hronek is a great play who is only 25. He’s elite. 
Now bow to Alf’s empties. :frantic:

• Haha 1

Turn these wanna be Sport Jocks OFF ,  

They offer no insight into the team through trusted , gained relationships that are affiliated with the Canucks Organization.

Granted the Canucks don’t trust them because they exploit and twist everything that is announced with some kind of conspiracy or DIYourself Physiological anal-lisis 

Better discussions happen here with true fans.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sylas said:

This is Vancouver remember? If we lose 3 games in a row, burn it down, win 3 in a row and plan the parade.. if that's not the definition of fickle I don't know what is. 

Especially since that has helped us suck for so many years demanding a one and done and management caving to public/media opinion.

Nothing new under the sun here but I wouldn't  concern myself with it, same ole shi_ different season BUT we're a lot better off than most of our franchise history teams ever were, before Pavel we were laughable, even Gretzky said after the oilers walloped us that we didn't even belong in the league we were so bad. 

We're a far cry from there today... Let the idiot haters hate though, like the lil cry baby who threw his jersey on the ice a cpl of seasons ago I think it was.. media was all over it as usual.. 

It's just the blind leading the stupid but there's some really good fans in Vancouver too, just wish they were the majority not the minority, you get the point though.

Good observation by the way! 

• Cheers 1

Want to thank the response to this thread.

been reading the comments and we are having a discussion, cool.

want to say first off, I don’t endorse any media outlets or follow any, other than updates on roster moves and or signings.

I live out east, so it’s just a way to keep up on things.

Having one perspective is that we have bad media which has led to a reactionary push pull so to speak with management and fans.

That works if you only go back to the last regime with Benning.

While the fringe management group under JB was well outside the NHL clubhouse, we have had some very connected managers in our history most notably Pat Quinn and his list of junior managers is almost a who’s who in the NHL, Brian Burke, Dave Nonis, George McPhee etc… throw in Dale Tallon and we have a decent history of well respected voices in Hockey.

That group has a real history too of messing up and or over/under valuing contracts and players… but it changed after the Aqualini’s bought out their competitors in the team ownership bids.

Which led to Tom Galardi buying the Dallas Stars.

How the business people in the hockey world view the two different ownership groups is pretty clear.

Dallas, even in bad seasons is generally well received in the press, while Vancouver, always a bit of target playing in Canada’s LaLa land, has eaten more garbage in the sports media than way worse franchises.

What we don’t know about the friendships and fractures in ownership spats in the Private Boxes and how that impacts a number of things in the league.

There is another long time element in the Vancouver Media market.

A near shameless use of every fallacious argument possible when speaking about futures.

Maybe it’s the inevitable sense that the world is dark and grey, which of your not from BC, is what winter feels like to easterners.

Snow is white and spreads light over the dark winter months.

The rain in BC can drive people nuts.

But really it’s a bunch of folks trying to pay the rent and make a living gossiping for the most part, with a smidge of reporting.

They must get together at least once a week to sort out what the angle and spins are, which players can be green lit to be targets, which can’t..

and then chorus the ‘Sky is falling and so and so did this and someone said that and rumour has it as this. But it’s all bad… has to be…’

We don’t live in Ukraine and we have open stores and clean air.

We don’t have Nacros taking over City Hall and the Police….

There are serious problems on the streets and more doing with less and less, while these guys get further out of touch with creating problems where there are none.

This team will be success or fail based on its management.

The owners have paid a price for failure in the past and with the hiring of Rutherford, and then Alvin with the addition of Tochett, Foote and Gonchar, it’s a rebranding and or rehabilitating the clubs image with other clubs and the eastern media, who loves Jim Rutherford.

Tochett is a losing coach, in Zona…?

so what, who wouldn’t be?

But he worked the bench in Pittsburg for a cup run and his staff has been in a few runs themselves too as players.

We have to keep a fresh look for each new effort made.

Its a top to bottom make over and it’s going to take this season to see it’s they got the mix right or not.

until then, we need to enjoy the show and so does the media.

WTF they are ginning up fear that Elias won’t resign with no reason too other than Calgary’s issues.

It’s been a long time since this team could not resign a player because the player choose elsewhere,

Bo would have taken the Islanders money in Van happily.

Van choose to move on from him.

We have had a Johnny hockey issue since Bure, he resigned.

It’s bad story management and or they hit bottom…

• Cheers 2