The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Brandon Sutter with Oilers

Summer heat seems to be making people cranky round these parts. The back and forth bickering and insults really diminishes the level of discussion. 

Benning made a mistake  signing Sutter to a pretty big deal and calling him “foundational” before he even played a game. That set expectations too high and Sutter never lived up to them. 

If he’s recovered enough to play at the NHL level then good for him! I just hope he stinks it up against us :P

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Summer heat seems to be making people cranky round these parts. The back and forth bickering and insults really diminishes the level of discussion. 

Benning made a mistake  signing Sutter to a pretty big deal and calling him “foundational” before he even played a game. That set expectations too high and Sutter never lived up to them. 

If he’s recovered enough to play at the NHL level then good for him! I just hope he stinks it up against us :P

So many people crap on Benning because of soundbites, which I find incredibly petty. Foundational, running out of time, why is no one drafting Kole Lind, etc.. It kind of makes me wish we hired a Mensa level coach who would routinely make these simpletons look like the half-wits they are.

What Benning really meant there was you need a good spine of centers to build a winning team. He wasn't wrong but his assessment of Sutter was a bit off. Really key though was if the rest of the team had been built better Sutter likely would have worked out a lot better and he could have been called foundational, fundamental, sound, or whatever adjective you want, and no one would have batted an eye.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/15/2023 at 2:01 PM, Citizen Erased said:

That is so true and Torts even pointed that out, but nobody would listen to him.

His head/heart wasn't here when coaching.  He couldn't even get a place in the city, and had to live in Point Roberts.  Sullivan had to run practices a lot of times since Torts wasn't around.

• Cheers 1