The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Offer Your Best Pitch For Hughes or Pettersson FOR Van

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

To be fair, it made little sense.

Lol only if ya didn't read it i guess, I could see how it makes little sense.

This should be fun exercise in hypotheticals

Vancouver doesn't have Hughes or Pettersson but is lining up an offer for them

What are they worth?

Using Vancouvers current assets line up your best offer for Petey or Hughes. No they do not belong to any one certain team. No there is no cap issues. Yes you are offering whatever you can that Vancouver has to OBTAIN Hughes or Pettersson from a hypothetical team that might hold their rights

This is NOT an offer to trade them to another team in the league. This is an exercise to bring them TO VANCOUVER utilizing whatever assets Vancouver has in the organization right now.

Edited by Warhippy

We don't have the assets to trade that would bring a Petey or Hughes in return, if they were playing for another team.

Is this what you are basically getting at? Petey and Hughes ARE the best assets we have.

Might as well ask what assets could the Canucks trade to get Connor Bedard that don't include Petey or Hughes?

Simple answer is we don't have those kind of assets.

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We don't have the assets to trade that would bring a Petey or Hughes in return, if they were playing for another team.

Is this what you are basically getting at? Petey and Hughes ARE the best assets we have.

Might as well ask what assets could the Canucks trade to get Connor Bedard that don't include Petey or Hughes?

Simple answer is we don't have those kind of assets.

And if we did, we would have to gut the team to get them. 

I don’t even think my proposals would get either of them, but I thought it was the best I could offer of what we do have.

Some people don’t understand you have to give up something significant to get something significant back, unless you got horseshoes up your rear end at the draft.

• Cheers 1

The part that confuses me. Ok, another team drafted Petey and Hughes.

So who did Vancouver wind up drafting? Or are you saying the team screwed up the 1st rounders in 2017 and 2018?

2017: If Petey was drafted instead of Makar (Don't ask just roll with it). That means Vancouver would have drafted Makar.

2018: It would most likely mean Detroit took Hughes. That leaves either Zadina or Boqvist? I'd be fine with Boqvist.

So we'd have a very different looking team. It would be a team that's got a better overall defence.

Now because we are lacking a 102 point scorer? Would that leave Vancouver getting a legit chance to draft Bedard?

Your scenario has too many moving pieces.

As I said earlier if you are just pointing out that Vancouver doesn't have the horses to acquire a player like Petey and Hughes, Yes you are correct.

Otherwise your scenario doesn't make a lot of sense.

If we had Makar, would we even need Hughes? That would be tying a lot of money into a defensive pairing and even if they were separate, it’s still a lot of money for just 2 defencemen. Also, how would you decide who gets to be a first pairing and who gets to be a second pairing when they are both clearly a first? 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The part that confuses me. Ok, another team drafted Petey and Hughes.

So who did Vancouver wind up drafting? Or are you saying the team screwed up the 1st rounders in 2017 and 2018?

2017: If Petey was drafted instead of Makar (Don't ask just roll with it). That means Vancouver would have drafted Makar.

2018: It would most likely mean Detroit took Hughes. That leaves either Zadina or Boqvist? I'd be fine with Boqvist.

So we'd have a very different looking team. It would be a team that's got a better overall defence.

Now because we are lacking a 102 point scorer? Would that leave Vancouver getting a legit chance to draft Bedard?

Your scenario has too many moving pieces.

As I said earlier if you are just pointing out that Vancouver doesn't have the horses to acquire a player like Petey and Hughes, Yes you are correct.

Otherwise your scenario doesn't make a lot of sense.

It really doesn't.

it's a thought exercise.  The issue is, to many people are overthinking it

• Upvote 1

To trade for Pettersson I have to look at the Jack Eichel trade to Vegas,

Buffalo got Alex Tuch, Payton Krebs, 1st and a 2nd 

Proven winger Tuch is on the top line wing for Buffalo, Top prospect Krebs is now a productive third line C 

Trade for Pettersson would have to be 

Proven winger Kuzmenko, top prospect Tom Willander, 1st and 2nd.

Eichel had neck surgery health issues which made the trade more risky for Vegas so I think Petterson should get a bit more. 

I would add one more top prospect to get it done, Aatu Raty 

To ? - Kuzmenko, Willander, Raty, 1st, 2nd

To Vancouver - Elias Pettersson 

Edited by kenhodgejr