The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Offer Your Best Pitch For Hughes or Pettersson FOR Van

This should be fun exercise in hypotheticals

Vancouver doesn't have Hughes or Pettersson but is lining up an offer for them

What are they worth?

Using Vancouvers current assets line up your best offer for Petey or Hughes.  No they do not belong to any one certain team.  No there is no cap issues.  Yes you are offering whatever you can that Vancouver has to OBTAIN Hughes or Pettersson from a hypothetical team that might hold their rights

This is NOT an offer to trade them to another team in the league.  This is an exercise to bring them TO VANCOUVER utilizing whatever assets Vancouver has in the organization right now.

Pettersson:  Willander, Lekkerimaki, Woo, 2024 top 3 protected 1st round pick, 2025 2nd round pick

Hughes:  Miller 35% retained, Lekkerimaki, Rathbone 2024 unprotected 1st

Let's see your best hypothetical trade here for one of these superstars

Edited by Warhippy
  • Wat 1

here's a legit proposal that Win I think would do given they want to stay competitive, but good luck re signing Petey to stay in the northern wasteland

To WIN

Pettersson 

Rathbone 

Garland 

To VAN

Morissey

Vilardi

Lowry

Barlow 

Podz Miller Kuzmenko

Milky Vilardi Brock

Beau Lowry Suter 

Joshua Bluegger Hoglander

PDG Aman

Morrissey Hroneck

Hughes Cole

Soucy Myers

do not trade Hughes

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, TopChed said:

We don't have the assets. Lekkerimaki and Willander haven't proven anything. 

Would you take Barlow, McGroarty + WPG 1st for them?

You absolutely positively missed the assignment.

Offer YOUR BEST for them.

Not crap on the exercise.

6 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

here's a legit proposal that Win I think would do given they want to stay competitive, but good luck re signing Petey to stay in the northern wasteland

To WIN

Pettersson 

Rathbone 

Garland 

To VAN

Morissey

Vilardi

Lowry

Barlow 

Podz Miller Kuzmenko

Milky Vilardi Brock

Beau Lowry Suter 

Joshua Bluegger Hoglander

PDG Aman

Morrissey Hroneck

Hughes Cole

Soucy Myers

do not trade Hughes

OK but this isn't a trade them to Winnipeg exercise.

Read the instructions.

OFFER YOUR BEST PITCH FROM VANCOUVER FOR THEM!

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You absolutely positively missed the assignment.

Offer YOUR BEST for them.

Not crap on the exercise.

oops sorry. 

Miller 25% retained + Demko + Lekkerimaki for Pete 

I would only be entertaining the thought of a deal like this if I were PA. 

Edited by TopChed
  • Cheers 1

Petey is a top-5 center in the league right now, young and in his prime. Hughes is arguably a top-5 defenceman IMO (but most would say top-10) on a very decent cap hit for a long time. I think both are worth the equivalent of 3 solid firsts + a 2nd or 3rd. Not just late 1sts either.

The classic way of thinking for a star is a young solid roster player, a 1st and a prospect but I'd argue that Petey and Hughes are honestly so good they deserve another pick, whether it be a late 1st/high 2nd or B+ grade prospect. Not many teams can offer us this amount of value. Problem is, teams who want them are contenders who don't have good picks or prospects.

NJD for Hughes - maybe something like Nemec + 1st + Siegenthaler and even then, boy, it doesn't seem like enough. Problem is if you add another 1st or 2nd to that, no team is going to blow themselves up like that for one player.

BOS for Petey - starts with Carlo + Lysell + 1st but that again is nowhere near enough, they'd need to add the equivalent of another 1st which they just don't have.

I prefer the idea of superstar-for-superstar. McAvoy for Petey. Hischier for Hughes.

If we want to get really nuts, why not flip both Calgary-style and try and stay competitive that way?

TO BOS: Pettersson

TO VAN: McAvoy + Zacha

TO NJD: Hughes

TO VAN: Hischier

Mikheyev - Hischier - Kuzmenko

Beauvillier - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Zacha - Garland

Joshua - Blueger - Suter

Cole - McAvoy

Soucy - Hronek

Hirose - Myers

45 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Petey is a top-5 center in the league right now, young and in his prime. Hughes is arguably a top-5 defenceman IMO (but most would say top-10) on a very decent cap hit for a long time. I think both are worth the equivalent of 3 solid firsts + a 2nd or 3rd. Not just late 1sts either.

The classic way of thinking for a star is a young solid roster player, a 1st and a prospect but I'd argue that Petey and Hughes are honestly so good they deserve another pick, whether it be a late 1st/high 2nd or B+ grade prospect. Not many teams can offer us this amount of value. Problem is, teams who want them are contenders who don't have good picks or prospects.

NJD for Hughes - maybe something like Nemec + 1st + Siegenthaler and even then, boy, it doesn't seem like enough. Problem is if you add another 1st or 2nd to that, no team is going to blow themselves up like that for one player.

BOS for Petey - starts with Carlo + Lysell + 1st but that again is nowhere near enough, they'd need to add the equivalent of another 1st which they just don't have.

I prefer the idea of superstar-for-superstar. McAvoy for Petey. Hischier for Hughes.

If we want to get really nuts, why not flip both Calgary-style and try and stay competitive that way?

TO BOS: Pettersson

TO VAN: McAvoy + Zacha

TO NJD: Hughes

TO VAN: Hischier

Mikheyev - Hischier - Kuzmenko

Beauvillier - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Zacha - Garland

Joshua - Blueger - Suter

Cole - McAvoy

Soucy - Hronek

Hirose - Myers

As usual, we are generous in how we view our own players.   Here's where NHL.com ranks EP, as of right now. 

Number 11 is Tage Thompson, who just scored 47 goals 47 assists, 94 points, after following up on a 38 goal season. He's also 25.  

9.  Barkov.  For sure accomplished more so far.  Also consider him EPs closest comp.   Barkov is more physically dominant,  EP has more offense.   Barkov has also done more so far, so don't have an issue with this ranking.

8.  Eichel.   Like EP, he doesn't cheat on the other side of the puck.  Cups are cups I guess.   

7. Brayden Point.  Mr clutch.  Scores a ton, and well has a nice trophy case, nice to see him get acknowledged, usually doesn't.   Scores a lot of goals in the playoffs, and also 51 last year one empty netter.   Guys only 27 too. 

6.  Jack Hughes.   EP didn't score 43 goals and 99 points at his age, or look nearly so consistent.   

5.  Crosby.  I'd consider moving him

up.   It's Crosby. 

4.  Mathews.   Might get some criticism

for "only" having another 40 goal

season..nobody has scored more goals

since he entered the league, he's even paced Ovi at the same, age.   Only Stamkos has a bit of a gap (312,302,299) scored by 25 of current players.   His two way game is better though (noticeably so), then previous years.  

3. Draisaitl.   No argument here.   Guys that good.   Chasing an all-time record in two series...something we haven't seen since Kurri and EDM glory days.  I'd actually probably have him at number two. 

2.  McKinnon.   Cups are cups.   Just entering his peak prime years...Both Point and McKinnon rested, expect big things from them.   Look what he did in 71 games last year 42 goals,  111 points, plus 29.  Yikes ... after winning a cup!  Talk about a follow up.   Imagine what he could do if he played 82 games, he's only 27.  That's when Naslund just hit his stride, and the Sedins only a year younger. 

1.  McDavid.   No debate.   Take away all his power play points, and he's still a top point producer.   

EP looks to be moving into the top five debate, but has a ways to go.   Another 100 point plus year would for sure help and move him up,  Jack Hughes will

be some

stiff competition though.   Draisaitl (how many 100 plus seasons is it now? four or five?)Mckinnon and McDavid could take a year off and still make it in the top

five.   Mathews maybe can be bumped if he only scores 45 goals and 85ish points.   Crosby won't be going anywhere until he retires or suffers an injury like Sakic did (herniated disc, then snow blower accident),  doubt he will score more points then Sakic did at 37 though.   He's the best center we've had whose closing out a such a great career, since Sakic though. 

EP.   This is why I don't think he's earned more then 12-12.5% of the cap yet.   And roll my eyes at some of the wild amounts thrown out there.   He actually does have some really stiff competition.    Not just with goals, and points scored, but how they play the game too.  

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As usual, we are generous in how we view our own players.   Here's where NHL.com ranks EP, as of right now. 

Number 11 is Tage Thompson, who just scored 47 goals 47 assists, 94 points, after following up on a 38 goal season. He's also 25.  

9.  Barkov.  For sure accomplished more so far.  Also consider him EPs closest comp.   Barkov is more physically dominant,  EP has more offense.   Barkov has also done more so far, so don't have an issue with this ranking.

8.  Eichel.   Like EP, he doesn't cheat on the other side of the puck.  Cups are cups I guess.   

7. Brayden Point.  Mr clutch.  Scores a ton, and well has a nice trophy case, nice to see him get acknowledged, usually doesn't.   Scores a lot of goals in the playoffs, 51 last year one empty netter.   Guys only 27 too. 

6.  Jack Hughes.   EP didn't score 43 goals and 99 points at his age, or look nearly so consistent.   

5.  Crosby.  I'd consider moving him

up.   It's Crosby. 

4.  Mathews.   Might get some criticism

for "only" having another 40 goal

season..nobody has scored more goals

since he entered the league, he's even paced Ovi at the same, age.   Only Stamkos has a bit of a gap (312,302,299) scored by 25 of current players.   His two way game is better though. 

3. Draisaitl.   No argument here.   Guys that good.   Chasing an all-time record in two series...something we haven't seen since Kurri and EDM glory days.

2.  McKinnon.   Cups are cups.   Just entering his peak prime years...Both Point and McKinnon rested, expect big things from them. 

1.  McDavid.   No debate.   Take away all his power play points, and he's still a top

ten center/point producer.   

EP looks to be moving into the top five debate, but has a ways to go.   Another 100 point plus year would for sure help and move him up,  Jack Hughes will

be some

stiff competition though.   Draisaitl (how many 100 plus seasons is it now? four or five?)Mckinnon and McDavid could take a year off and still make it in the top

five.   Mathews maybe can be bumped if he only scores 45 goals and 85ish points.   Crosby won't be going anywhere until he retires or suffers an injury like Sakic did (herniated disc, then snow blower accident),  doubt he will score more points then Sakic did at 37 though.   He's the best center we've had whose closing out a such a great career, since Sakic though. 

EP.   This is why I don't think he's earned more then 12-12.5% of the cap yet.   And roll my eyes at some of the wild amounts thrown out there.   He actually does have some really stiff competition.    Not just with goals, and points scored, but how they play the game too.  

I think we're looking more in the future with Petey because of his age, and his next contract with whichever team. If that's the case, I'd take Crosby out - sure he's still good now but in a couple of years he'll be gone. McDavid and Draisaitl will still be 1 and 3 in a few years time. MacKinnon is interesting, I think he'll still be top-3 for a long time and was a warrior in the playoffs unlike McDavid. That top-3 is probably set for the next what...3-5 years?

For the next two spots I think it's going to be Petey and Jack Hughes. The Devils got a lot better in the off-season up front, I think Jack's numbers will go up a tonne, but I think Point will naturally regress as Tampa and their offence does. Tage and Matthews are interesting - they're both primarily goal scorers so hard to compare to big point men. You could argue Petey's game is much more well-rounded than those two - he gets more assists, can still score but plays defence a lot better than those two. I think that's a key contributer to why he should be considered top-5. Not purely going off point totals (otherwise RNH would be considered a top center) but Petey does a lot of things the other top guys can't. 

Right now I'd say Petey is maybe the 6th or 7th best center in the league but next year he'll probably be top-5. A lot of speculation saying he'll finish 3rd in scoring next year which is nuts but I can see that. Next year's a big one for him, he could easily stay the same or regress as well but there's been no real signs of that so far in his career.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think we're looking more in the future with Petey because of his age, and his next contract with whichever team. If that's the case, I'd take Crosby out - sure he's still good now but in a couple of years he'll be gone. McDavid and Draisaitl will still be 1 and 3 in a few years time. MacKinnon is interesting, I think he'll still be top-3 for a long time and was a warrior in the playoffs unlike McDavid. That top-3 is probably set for the next what...3-5 years?

For the next two spots I think it's going to be Petey and Jack Hughes. The Devils got a lot better in the off-season up front, I think Jack's numbers will go up a tonne, but I think Point will naturally regress as Tampa and their offence does. Tage and Matthews are interesting - they're both primarily goal scorers so hard to compare to big point men. You could argue Petey's game is much more well-rounded than those two - he gets more assists, can still score but plays defence a lot better than those two. I think that's a key contributer to why he should be considered top-5. Not purely going off point totals (otherwise RNH would be considered a top center) but Petey does a lot of things the other top guys can't. 

Right now I'd say Petey is maybe the 6th or 7th best center in the league but next year he'll probably be top-5. A lot of speculation saying he'll finish 3rd in scoring next year which is nuts but I can see that. Next year's a big one for him, he could easily stay the same or regress as well but there's been no real signs of that so far in his career.

EPs said he wants to be just as good in the defensive zone, as the o-zone, and improve on face-offs.    For sure there has been hiccups on the way.    Scoring 100 again next year would be a huge step up the rankings for him, especially if his D-zone play and face-offs improve.  There for sure is a lot more to the game then just points.    And for sure goals should be weighted higher than assists, as should EV points.   Same thing if a player is a good penalty killer. 

TB's window with their current core is closing, 3-4 years maybe at the very most and that largely has to do with Point.    That's how important he is to that team.   Curiously Stamkos moved to the wing, sure that has a lot to do with Point, and keeping Stamkos healthy.   Otherwise Stamkos would be a top ten center based on his body of work and last season too.  

Agree with you on EP and Hughes moving up, i'd also put my money on Hughes before EP, better team, better pedigree, and better player at the same age.   EPs struggled with consistency up until last year.   It's his time to prove he's a top player, and top center.    Barkov for sure is blocking the way a little on best two-way center, but he's going to start slipping and EP should start moving up.    Crosby would be blocking him too, but feel his minutes will be managed, the same way Bergeron's we're last season.   It will take an injury or another few years before Crosby becomes a mere mortal.    Just like the greats before him (again Sakic being the last one). 

As for Mathews, guys got to start showing up in the playoffs on the scoreboard.    It's his spot to keep, but needs to do that.   He's only 25!   So like EP, should be moving up too.   For the foreseeable future, anyone cracking the top five has their work cut out for them that's for sure.    Only Crosby is old.   And they are setting themselves up for a four year Swan Song.   Could see Crosby playing until he's 40. 

Edited by IBatch

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This should be fun exercise in hypotheticals

Vancouver doesn't have Hughes or Pettersson but is lining up an offer for them

What are they worth?

Using Vancouvers current assets line up your best offer for Petey or Hughes.  No they do not belong to any one certain team.  No there is no cap issues.  Yes you are offering whatever you can that Vancouver has to OBTAIN Hughes or Pettersson from a hypothetical team that might hold their rights

This is NOT an offer to trade them to another team in the league.  This is an exercise to bring them TO VANCOUVER utilizing whatever assets Vancouver has in the organization right now.

Pettersson:  Willander, Lekkerimaki, Woo, 2024 top 3 protected 1st round pick, 2025 2nd round pick

Hughes:  Miller 35% retained, Lekkerimaki, Rathbone 2024 unprotected 1st

Let's see your best hypothetical trade here for one of these superstars

EP: if extended prolly willander lekkerimaki 1st and a 2nd

Hughes: similar maybe replace lekkerimaki with a different prospect

Would love to move miller for any one of those 2.. but if they are moving EP and hughes.. they are rebuilding.. they have no use for a miller with a NMC