The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Senators re-sign Jake Sanderson

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

A lot of people don't understand this.  They keep leaning on point production alone from the blue line.  But point producing defencemen are not actual defencemen.  Seabrook might be one of the last truly great 2 way defencemen and he was worth almost every penny of his contract.

For sure the contract he was on during Chicago's glory years, but definitely not on his final contract which was for 8 years/55 mil. Seabrook last played in the 19/20 season and the contract ends this season.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That’s a lotta skrill for one 30 point season…

They’re either gonna look brilliant or like clowns.

SENs are looking at Manitoba right now and reacting.   Making "sure" they have a team in 8 years. 

Edit:  Correction - making "sure" they have a roster. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

A lot of people don't understand this.  They keep leaning on point production alone from the blue line.  But point producing defencemen are not actual defencemen.  Seabrook might be one of the last truly great 2 way defencemen and he was worth almost every penny of his contract.

Ummm.  One of the worst legacy deals given.   

20 minutes ago, boziffous said:

For sure the contract he was on during Chicago's glory years, but definitely not on his final contract which was for 8 years/55 mil. Seabrook last played in the 19/20 season and the contract ends this season.

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ummm.  One of the worst legacy deals given.   

Nobody will state the last 3 years of his contract were good.  But if we're looking at a 23 year old Seabrook he's worth every penny of what he earned.  if we are looking at his 2nd and 3rd contracts, worth it.  But then we could also say the Sedins and Burrows were not worth their last contracts.  The tail end of a career is rarely worth as much as the highlight years.  

But if we are looking at a player similar to Seabrook in terms of playing style and dependability, at this age.  Sanderson (provided he does not regress horribly) is worth every penny this contract will shape up to be

• Cheers 1

How is it that Sanderson got paid the first year of his rookie contract in 21/22 season even though he didn't play any in the NHL that year? Any insight would be appreciated.

Edit:

Nevermind, apparently he had a hand injury when he signed his rookie contract and was ruled out for the rest of the season that first year.

Edited by boziffous

54 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Nobody will state the last 3 years of his contract were good.  But if we're looking at a 23 year old Seabrook he's worth every penny of what he earned.  if we are looking at his 2nd and 3rd contracts, worth it.  But then we could also say the Sedins and Burrows were not worth their last contracts.  The tail end of a career is rarely worth as much as the highlight years.  

But if we are looking at a player similar to Seabrook in terms of playing style and dependability, at this age.  Sanderson (provided he does not regress horribly) is worth every penny this contract will shape up to be

Thing is, Seabrook put his time in,

like a normal hockey player.   Was just b!tching about this on another thread and noticed this.   And have been b!tching about it since Dubas did his master stroke of mathematical idiocy in his early TO days.     What has this kid done, to deserve a 64 million dollar deal?    It makes zero sense.  Seabrook was a core CHI player.   And could hit guys.   Do a bit of everything.    Did he get this sort of contract after one year ... I don't like this deal.   It's bad for the league it's actually awful for the league.   But at least the other GMs can just cross it off the list when dealing with their own RFAs, as pure idiocy.    So many GMs will be pissed at this and rightly so.   What did Dahlin "the next Lidstrom" or Makar, or Heiskanen or QHs do first?  Is the cap going to 120 million.   Dobson.   Or Bouchard and Boqvist all the big names in that D heavy draft.   This is probably the worst contract i've seen for a RFA in a long time.  You can't give an RFA close to 10% of the cap unless they are one of the better players in the league for a year. 

Sure he could be the next Seabrook.  And is going to have to be that at least now for OTT.   At least Chabot had the pedigree and did it first.   Warhippy, we needed a Seabrook, reminded me of Aucion.   Is this kid really got that in him?   I don't know.    First has to put on 30lbs. 

Edited by IBatch

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

like a normal hockey player.   Was just b!tching about this on another thread and noticed this.   And have been b!tching about it since Dubas did his master stroke of mathematical idiocy in his early TO days.     What has this kid done, to deserve a 64 million dollar deal?    It makes zero sense.  Seabrook was a core CHI player.   And could hit guys.   Do a bit of everything.    Did he get this sort of contract after one year ... I don't like this deal.   It's bad for the league it's actually awful for the league. 

Yes, he did and much like many other legacy contracts or contracts signed by older players that didn't age well, his didn't age well at all to the point he was what amounts to kind of a paid cap dump.

Ottawa is currently paying now for potential and that's on them.  As stated it's a risk and gamble and if it hits that's amazing for them.  if it doesn't that's on them.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yes, he did and much like many other legacy contracts or contracts signed by older players that didn't age well, his didn't age well at all to the point he was what amounts to kind of a paid cap dump.

Ottawa is currently paying now for potential and that's on them.  As stated it's a risk and gamble and if it hits that's amazing for them.  if it doesn't that's on them.

Well better add some beef.   And hit the gym.  Seabrooks game wasn't points. 

Edited by IBatch

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Right now, the odds highly favour on them.   RFA isn't UFA.   OTT is trying way too hard right now to make sure guys don't leave it's sad. 

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well better add some beef.   And hit the gym.  Seabrooks game wasn't points. 

Nope, the best 2 way in the last 2 ish decades at the time of his retirement IMO only.

But he wasn't the largest when he was drafted either, put on like 25-30 pounds through his career after he was drafted.

Sanderson could top out at 210-215 over time.

Whatever the case, Ottawa is paying for potential and it sure looks like it's there.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

like a normal hockey player.   Was just b!tching about this on another thread and noticed this.   And have been b!tching about it since Dubas did his master stroke of mathematical idiocy in his early TO days.     What has this kid done, to deserve a 64 million dollar deal?    It makes zero sense.  Seabrook was a core CHI player.   And could hit guys.   Do a bit of everything.    Did he get this sort of contract after one year ... I don't like this deal.   It's bad for the league it's actually awful for the league.   But at least the other GMs can just cross it off the list when dealing with their own RFAs, as pure idiocy.    So many GMs will be pissed at this and rightly so.   What did Dahlin "the next Lidstrom" or Makar, or Heiskanen or QHs do first?  Is the cap going to 120 million.   Dobson.   Or Bouchard and Boqvist all the big names in that D heavy draft.   This is probably the worst contract i've seen for a RFA in a long time.  You can't give an RFA close to 10% of the cap unless they are one of the better players in the league for a year. 

Sure he could be the next Seabrook.  And is going to have to be that at least now for OTT.   At least Chabot had the pedigree and did it first.   Warhippy, we needed a Seabrook, reminded me of Aucion.   Is this kid really got that in him?   I don't know.    First has to put on 30lbs. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

From what I have seen, Sanderson is a very quick decision maker with excellent vision and stickwork.  It's not often you watch a rookie and be impressed by his incredible defensive skills.  He will body you off into the corner.  He will tie your stick up.  He will be in the right place to intercept a pass.  And when he re-takes possession, he can move the puck up under pressure.

An incredibly sound defender who has just begun to develop his offensive game?  He has already surpassed Chabot and Chychrun to become their #1 defenceman.  Nobody on the Sens controls the pace of the game better than Sanderson.  I believe he is only a couple years away from emerging as a Norris candidate.  The deal will probably look like a steal by then.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

They obviously feel very highly about him. I haven't seen him play enough to make a judgement myself, but that's a MASSIVE contract to pay for a small sample size. 

On the flip side, if he projects as they clearly think he will, that contract could be a steal halfway through when 8m is considered the minimum for a good defenseman. 

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

From what I have seen, Sanderson is a very quick decision maker with excellent vision and stickwork.  It's not often you watch a rookie and be impressed by his incredible defensive skills.  He will body you off into the corner.  He will tie your stick up.  He will be in the right place to intercept a pass.  And when he re-takes possession, he can move the puck up under pressure.

An incredibly sound defender who has just begun to develop his offensive game?  He has already surpassed Chabot and Chychrun to become their #1 defenceman.  Nobody on the Sens controls the pace of the game better than Sanderson.  I believe he is only a couple years away from emerging as a Norris candidate.  The deal will probably look like a steal by then.

How has he passed Chabot, who played almost 25 minutes a night last season?   Chabot had a pretty awesome pedigree too, was a man amongst boys when I watched them live at the WJs.   Still he had to put some time in before getting his deal.   Don't get how one year can be parlayed into this sort of thing.  Dahlin didn't get it.   Neither did QHs. Or Heiskanen, or Makar.   Or Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard or McAvoy, or Chychrun or Sergachev.   All "promising" young somewhat recent D's.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1