The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Senators re-sign Jake Sanderson

7 hours ago, Diamonds said:

From Ottawa they are. They seem to really like paying ~8M/year for potential. First Chabot, then Tkachuk, then Norris and Stutzle, and now Sanderson. So far Tkachuk and Stutzle seem to have been good bets and Chabot's been up and down. But also 5 players around 8M seems like a lot.

well.... it's certainly a huge gamble... you have that many top earners and to fit under the cap, the rest of the team gotta be making barely $1-2M meaning some are just AHL calibre or reclamation projects.... sounds familiar to us Nucks fans??

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Sens fans are pumped because this is a "team-friendly deal" and he's already better than Heiskanen and Fox.... I swear this is why I can't stand that team, the fans are delusional to a point that I can't even comprehend. 

What do the Sens do with Chychrun? Sanderson and Chabot will eat up top four minutes. Likely Chychrun gets injured in his limited minutes anyway, but he’s not going to be too happy with third fiddle on the left side. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What do the Sens do with Chychrun? Sanderson and Chabot will eat up top four minutes. Likely Chychrun gets injured in his limited minutes anyway, but he’s not going to be too happy with third fiddle on the left side. 

Chychrun can play right side. No issue there.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

This is exactly what I mean about folks here - they don't watch Sens games and have no clue what they're talking about.

Chychrun has played the bulk of his minutes on the right side with Chabot.

• Like 1

Brought to you by the team that chose Redden over Chara

I kid I kid.

but they did.

This doesn't look terrible over time but for right now it's a bit of an overpayment for sure.  Deal will average out over the next few years I believe because this kid is a great 2 way defenseman

2 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Sanderson is a two-way defenceman.  Seriously.  Just watch clips of him.  Point production isn't why they paid him 8M.  

A lot of people don't understand this.  They keep leaning on point production alone from the blue line.  But point producing defencemen are not actual defencemen.  Seabrook might be one of the last truly great 2 way defencemen and he was worth almost every penny of his contract.

Sens are locking in all their young talent to long term deals, mostly based on pedigree and potential.  I agree 100% with what they are doing.  A small market Canadian team needs to do this to retain talent.  Sure they may end up with the odd bad deal out of it, but that is lightyears better than developing your young guys to see them walk as early as they can.

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A lot of people don't understand this.  They keep leaning on point production alone from the blue line.  But point producing defencemen are not actual defencemen.  Seabrook might be one of the last truly great 2 way defencemen and he was worth almost every penny of his contract.

Burns? Hedman? Pietrangelo? Theodore? D. Toews? Doughty?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Burns? Hedman? Pietrangelo? Theodore? D. Toews? Doughty?

Their careers are not quite done yet.

Hedman would be the one I put side by side with Seabrook though, but Seabrook was never a "star" he was just the perfect 1b or 2a complimentary 2 way defenceman.  Never did anything super flashy never did anything really wrong just did everything right.  Toews?  Ya he might end up in the same breath honestly.  Doughty?  Mmmm......maybe more of a productive roamer than a true 2 way.  Pietrangelo?  Maybe....

But I'd argue Seabrook is the reason and a huge part of the reason Chicago won those cups because he was just so middle of the road and dependable.  I see a lot of similar style in Sanderson.  That's all.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Sanderson is a two-way defenceman.  Seriously.  Just watch clips of him.  Point production isn't why they paid him 8M.  

Understand that but typically players don't get paid much for the defensive side of the game.  

30pts for a rookie D is very good but $64M after rookie year is crazy but that is the sort of gamble Canadian teams are facing at this time.

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Their careers are not quite done yet.

Hedman would be the one I put side by side with Seabrook though, but Seabrook was never a "star" he was just the perfect 1b or 2a complimentary 2 way defenceman.  Never did anything super flashy never did anything really wrong just did everything right.  Toews?  Ya he might end up in the same breath honestly.  Doughty?  Mmmm......maybe more of a productive roamer than a true 2 way.  Pietrangelo?  Maybe....

But I'd argue Seabrook is the reason and a huge part of the reason Chicago won those cups because he was just so middle of the road and dependable.  I see a lot of similar style in Sanderson.  That's all.

Hjalmarsson was rock solid too back in the day.

Sens fans are so sick of seeing their best players leave that they would way rather take the risk of an overpayment than see the cycle continue. I think it makes sense in the context of that team and hope they turn it around.

Edited by VforVasili