The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Senators re-sign Jake Sanderson

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

How has he passed Chabot, who played almost 25 minutes a night last season?   Chabot had a pretty awesome pedigree too, was a man amongst boys when I watched them live at the WJs.   Still he had to put some time in before getting his deal.   Don't get how one year can be parlayed into this sort of thing.  Dahlin didn't get it.   Neither did QHs. Or Heiskanen, or Makar.   Or Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard or McAvoy, or Chychrun or Sergachev.   All "promising" young somewhat recent D's.    

Chabot had a very difficult year this season - although I think he was put in difficult circumstances.  I actually think his minutes dropped as the year progressed and DJ Smith began to trust Sanderson more.  But for the first half of the season, Chabot was playing over half the game with Nikita Zaitsev as his primary partner.  The whole situation was not conducive to his success.

As for a more direct comparison, obviously Chabot is a more offensively gifted defenceman - probably one of the most underrated offensive D-men in the league, hampered by a team with weak possession.  But when he went down due to injury, Sanderson took over the #1 job with excellent results.  He seemed to play better with the heavier workload, putting in work on both special teams units.

This is an early bet from a team trying to lock its players down early and make a legitimate rebuild in the post-Melnyk era.  Technically this upcoming year is still the last year of his contract (not unlike JT Miller last year).  We'll see what happens, but I think he will do great.

15 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Sens are just throwing money away and it’s going to bite them soon.  Sanderson has had one okay year.  

Right or wrong the mandate seems to be clear. Lock the core in at around 8 mil and build around them.

At the very least they have cap certainty now with Stuetzle, Tkachuk, Norris, Chabot, and Sanderson locked in. If these guys all reach their potential these deals will look great in the next few years and will make the Leafs strategy look awful. :lol:

The one questionable move they made IMO is locking Korpisalo in as their starter. Not sure he’s the guy to run with as your starter.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

A gamble is a gamble.  At least they have money.

Could contain: Text, Person, Face, Head

Feels like they spent a dime when most teams would have spent a nickel on this player at this point in their career. Not much of a sample size.  Good news is that Ottawa is on the upswing, full of young talent. Dorion is all in with his young core- BT, Stutzle, Norris, Chabot, Sanderson. Fingers crossed Korpisalo holds down the fort.

Never thought I'd be agreeing with my boy Bob. But I do think some of y'all sleeping on Sanderson. Yes, I do think it's a tad soon for a minor unknown. But he looked really frickin' good last season. 21 years old, drafted 5th overall, and he was playing top 4 minutes and didn't look out of place. Yes his resume is a tad small. But hey, it's a good gamble. If he played the next 8 years the way he played last season. I'd say that's only a slight overpayment. But we'll see how this season goes. Obviously this contract doesn't begin til next season. Kid looks good so far.

People will say "We should have locked up Petey earlier" and when another team does it they say "Why did they do this so soon?" Again, kid was drafted 5th overall, he has immense upside, and he looked really good as a 21 year old thrown to the wolves in his rookie season. If there are good bets to make, I'd say a top 4, 21 year old two way d-man that you drafted top 5 is a good bet to make.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So what was the rush?  He still has one year left on his ELC contract.  Was Ottawa afraid he was going to ask for $10 million next summer?

I think they wanted to give a show of confidence and get the discussion out of the way.  We did it with Miller, Toronto did with Matthews.  And we did not do it with Pettersson.  Now we're all freaking out because of it.

Sanderson probably would've been signed to an ugly bridge deal.  They don't need bridge deals when they are still in a rebuild stage (although I think that stage is officially over).

24 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I think they wanted to give a show of confidence and get the discussion out of the way.  We did it with Miller, Toronto did with Matthews.  And we did not do it with Pettersson.  Now we're all freaking out because of it.

Sanderson probably would've been signed to an ugly bridge deal.  They don't need bridge deals when they are still in a rebuild stage (although I think that stage is officially over).

We didn't do it with Hughes either.  He played out his ELC just like Petey.  He signed a 6-year deal.  McAvoy signed an 8-year deal after 2 contracts.  Makar signed his 8-year deal after his ELC expired as well.  So did Heiskanen.  Fox signed a year early because he literally won the Norris trophy in his second season, so the Rangers had a pretty good reason to lock him up early. 

These are the 5 greatest defencemen in the NHL today.  Who exactly is Jake Sanderson that he needs to be signed to an 8x8 contract after 77 games in the NHL?  Ottawa panicked and gave him his deal because they were scared he would walk like other players playing in Canada.  They gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.  Pretty simple to understand really.  Has nothing to do with his WAR card...

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We didn't do it with Hughes either.  He played out his ELC just like Petey.  He signed a 6-year deal.  McAvoy signed an 8-year deal after 2 contracts.  Makar signed his 8-year deal after his ELC expired as well.  So did Heiskanen.  Fox signed a year early because he literally won the Norris trophy in his second season, so the Rangers had a pretty good reason to lock him up early. 

These are the 5 greatest defencemen in the NHL today.  Who exactly is Jake Sanderson that he needs to be signed to an 8x8 contract after 77 games in the NHL?  Ottawa panicked and gave him his deal because they were scared he would walk like other players playing in Canada.  They gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.  Pretty simple to understand really.  Has nothing to do with his WAR card...

Oh, it's a gamble for sure, since Sanderson is not yet playing at a $8M level, but he's already close.  Based on his playstyle and his emergence as a #1 D-man in his rookie season, I think this is a safe bet that'll pay off pretty quickly. 

I think Ottawa has done a good job locking enough of its key players down.  DeBrincat was never going to sign there, even if they overpaid him.  Compare the Senators to imploding teams like Calgary or Winnipeg.  Conversely, Peter Chiarelli's only good move in Edmonton was signing Leon Draisaitl to that insane contract (at the time).  All it takes are a couple of good gambles and you have a playoff team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

13 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The only people thinking this are people who don't watch Ottawa games.  It's very easy to tell.

In reply to Vedder's reply of "one good year". 

Reading the local news (if you live nearby and want to go to a game sometime, PM me...usually get to a few a year, already have my Canucks tickets,  hope to take my bro but my wife might want to come even though Reynolds won't be sitting behind our regular seats this year lol - ..) the players are sure stoked about this.   Chabot wont have to play close to 30 minutes a night anymore with Chychrun and Sanderson around (coming from their own players).    You could be right, the players sure are happy he's locked in as part of their "core".   Which he for sure is at that price.   That's a lot of cap percentage to give a player, after one season.   Seabrook didn't get that sort of dough until his third contract.   7 years in and one cup ring already.   Sophomore slumps happen, even if he has one it won't be the end of the world...his best years are surely ahead of him too.   

Most of the series of games I watched this year was when Chychrun arrived, wanted to see how that would help them.   Was a great addition.    Could tell he had skills, plays a pretty smart game and his size is noticable.    Sanderson was solid too.   His skating was noticeable,  could tell he has wheels and a good motor.    

Have been watching Chabot since the WJ's, (again, he looked like a man playing against boys).   Im stoked he's finally got support.  And have felt Dorion has done an exceptional job under some very tough circumstances.    Cap wise they locked in a half dozen guys, most of whom will play together for 8-9 years.   For the same price as TO's top four paid guys.   They've only got Pinto left to figure out.    OTT's window is just opening, TO's "Fantastic Four", well that window is probably shutting after this season, and moving over to a smaller one after.    Sure would love to swap rosters with OTT right now. 

Edit:  As an aside.   OTT fans have been kicked in the stomach and the balls a few times since moving close by 14 years ago.   The Matt Cooke foot stomp, severing EKs achilles tendon, cab-gate, Ceci flambé ing a guest party,  Hoffman's girlfriend drama with EK's wife,  going to the final with EK doing his best pronger EDM impression .. nope!  OT ball buster.   EK is one of a few guys considered for the Smythe, from a team that didn't make it to the final.   They had a bright future!  Stone was found money.  Zib was progressing.  Pageau was solid.    Hoffman could score goals.  Traded for Duchene.  Owner drama "fans I will buy your liver" sweepstakes.  His company failing, and eventually ousted by the board.    

Then Dorian blew it all up, before while he could still.   Imagine if instead, they kept that core together... and worked on support players.   They'd still have Chabot. 

Allvin might have to consider the exact same thing with us.   OTT ive used an example, as what excellent drafting really looks like, for years.   Dorion didn't get much for some guys.  A second for Zib for example, but did acquire a boatload for the entire lot.   

Right now, OTT looks to be Canada's best bet for a cup the next decade if EDM or TO can't pull off a miracle the next year or two.   Draisatl's next deal.   

Allvin might have to consider this path, if EP won't re-sign long term.   

Wouldn't be opposed to it either, just not convinced our scouting staff has it in them.   Last big hit for the 3rd round or later for us was Edler, Nonis's first draft.   Instead could see them trading EP and QHs (if we have to go there), for already drafted youth plus futures and cap dumps. 

Edited by IBatch

Sanderson is a good gamble.. this kid can play if u watch any of their games at all.. besides worse case scenario they can prolly trade him to a rebuilding team with sweeteners and maybe some retention with the cap supposively going up.. he's young enough that rebuilding team will be willing to take him with good sweetener and or cap retention.. Ottawa still have a pretty decent prospect pool and they'll have couple more 1st rounders prospect added to their pool next season to add to ther arsenal to use for trade chips

34 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Sanderson is a good gamble.. this kid can play if u watch any of their games at all.. besides worse case scenario they can prolly trade him to a rebuilding team with sweeteners and maybe some retention with the cap supposively going up.. he's young enough that rebuilding team will be willing to take him with good sweetener and or cap retention.. Ottawa still have a pretty decent prospect pool and they'll have couple more 1st rounders prospect added to their pool next season to add to ther arsenal to use for trade chips

Sens prospect pool isn't very good anymore.   Just like us 4-5 years ago, all their best prospects, have made the team or fallen out of grace.   Mid 20's now, slipping from the low 20's a year ago.   Ours, well went from 30ish a year ago, to high teens low 20's.    Willander,  Raty,  Lekkirmaki, Klim leading the charge back into some sort of relevance.  The usual suspects have the worst pools (contenders, older cores going for it).   OTT has positioned themselves well cap wise for the future.   Will have quite a bit of flexibility to change their support players.     As far as best young cores go... well OTT is probably top five.    Time will tell, a couple years ago, we were also considered in that group. 

Edit:  Dallas is probably the best of both worlds right now.   Both a great team and an above average pool the last couple seasons.   Reminds me a bit of TB when Yzerman was there.  CAR is also close ... average pool, great team. 

NJ still has a great pool.. a team to watch.  

And Buffalo again has a top ranked pool, and look at who've they've already got on their team.   Buffalo, and NJ seemed poised to keep taking big steps.   SJ is just entering their seasons of pain.   Going to take a minor miracle for them to pay for Wilson's re-tooling (at least it worked though), probably won't see a relevant team from them until the early 2030's.   

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Sens prospect pool isn't very good anymore.   Just like us 4-5 years ago, all their best prospects, have made the team or fallen out of grace.   Mid 20's now, slipping from the low 20's a year ago.   Ours, well went from 30ish a year ago, to high teens low 20's.    Willander,  Raty,  Lekkirmaki, Klim leading the charge back into some sort of relevance.  The usual suspects have the worst pools (contenders, older cores going for it).   OTT has positioned themselves well cap wise for the future.   Will have quite a bit of flexibility to change their support players.     As far as best young cores go... well OTT is probably top five.    Time will tell, a couple years ago, we were also considered in that group. 

Edit:  Dallas is probably the best of both worlds right now.   Both a great team and an above average pool the last couple seasons.   Reminds me a bit of TB when Yzerman was there.  CAR is also close ... average pool, great team. 

NJ still has a great pool.. a team to watch.  

And Buffalo again has a top ranked pool, and look at who've they've already got on their team.   Buffalo, and NJ seemed poised to keep taking big steps.   SJ is just entering their seasons of pain.   Going to take a minor miracle for them to pay for Wilson's re-tooling (at least it worked though), probably won't see a relevant team from them until the early 2030's.   

meh regardless they still have multiple first next year to change that. Our prospect pool honestly sucks. We prolly have 1 prospect in the top 100 in the low 80s lekkerimaki. He was last ranked in the 70s prior to this draft so you figure he dropped to the 80s after the draft the raty klim don’t even make the list maybe willander sneaks in near the 100? Since he’s ranked below lekkerimaki.. still can’t figure why benning was praised so much back in the days lol. Even with EP and Hughes graduating he have like no prospect ranked in the top 100 outside those 2 for all these years of failure 

New Jersey is scary good.. they just need a goalie of the future.. they are pretty set on the blue line and the top 6 for years to come.. and loaded in prospect to make a move for a goalie.. art Ross caliber Hughes.. selke caliber hirshier Norris candidate in Hamilton and maybe Hughes nemec in the future.. one can only be jealous.. same with buffalo they have 1 Norris caliber d men and another nearing Norris caliber dmen a decent top 6.. and levi the goalie of future.. along with another loaded prospect pool.. all the futile season of suffering is starting to pay off?