The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Senators re-sign Jake Sanderson

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they quietly shopped Chabot, mostly for futures.

Kleven looks like another good, young one, with size. Then you've got names like Chycrun & Zub.

They have a LOT of 7, 8 m-ish AAV's, & probably 1 will have to go.

Sens might actually be decent again in a couple years. 

• Cheers 1

Wow...that's a big contract for someone who's played 77 career games. 32pts in 77 games is a great rookie season, but still...

I suspect this gamble will pay off, but has there ever been nearly as big of a contract signed for a player who has played less than 80 career games?

1 minute ago, dougieL said:

Wow...that's a big contract for someone who's played 77 career games. 32pts in 77 games is a great rookie season, but still...

I suspect this gamble will pay off, but has there ever been nearly as big of a contract signed for a player who has played less than 80 career games?

Didn't Boldy sign his extension for 7mil after 47 games? His contract begins this year but I am pretty sure he signed it before last season.

• Upvote 1

A lot of folks here suggesting he's overpaid because of his production simply haven't watched enough of him.  He's an insanely good defender, always preventing high-danger scoring chances and always backchecking whenever he makes mistakes.  Even if he doesn't improve and simply plateaus, Ottawa will still be okay with it.  Obviously everyone expects him to do much better - a reasonable expectation.

Just watch any part of this massive highlight video.  He makes the right play a lot more often than not.

3 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Is every player with potential getting 8x8 now? 

From Ottawa they are. They seem to really like paying ~8M/year for potential. First Chabot, then Tkachuk, then Norris and Stutzle, and now Sanderson. So far Tkachuk and Stutzle seem to have been good bets and Chabot's been up and down. But also 5 players around 8M seems like a lot.

21 and a really solid D… probably a fair deal.

If he keeps up his level of play he is a $6 million player, if he improves even in modest increments he will be worth more than his contract in 2-3 years.

Ottawa is overpaying a little now while they aren’t really competitive for likely cap savings in a window 3-8 years from now that they should be competitive and even Cup contenders.

You know, the reverse of how the Canucks operate.  They sign contracts to save money in the short term while they are a bad, non-competitive team in order to pay extra in a window they have a chance to be competitive.

Ottawa has a lot of good young players who are going to mature into their peaks at the same time, and will have enough prospects to have a pipeline of cheap ELCs to make up for when they have to pay all these good young guys.

Tkachuk

Sanderson

Stutzle

Pinto

Batherson

Chabot

Chychrun

I wouldn’t sleep on this team being really really good as these long term contracts become better deals as the cap goes up.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2