The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Pre Season

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

Pre season   

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Preseason gives fringe guys, PTO's, and prospects a chance to crack the bigs and take jobs, I doubt the PA would go for scrapping preseason. It also gives coaching staffs a chance to experiment and come to conclusions regarding bubble guys. 

While preseason isn't as exciting and there's a risk of injury, it has it's place and there's a risk of injury regardless as to what the stakes are while playing competitive sports. 

I'm all for giving vets and stars less preseason ice and longer runways to get going during the regular season, but at the same time points matter from game 1 onward, there's an argument to be made for trying to get your starts going before the stakes are real. 

I think the only way the NHL would consider shortening preseason on a regular basis is if they were looking to take on an additional regular season game or two as a way to generate revenue. 

I think we have fewer preseason games this year, so that’s good. But honestly, by the time preseason rolls around, I’m desperate for Canucks hockey, and I’ll demand it be shown on Sportsnet. 
I’d really prefer if they just moved it all earlier by 2-3 weeks. Camp should start first week of Sept, and preseason should start this week. If schools start up now, why hasn’t training camp? Then the playoffs could end a couple of weeks earlier too rather than go into June.

• Cheers 3

I like Preseason, because that means Hockey is here!! But I wouldn’t want to go to a preseason game, maybe if I get it for free. 

I still think it’s a good thing to have. Very useful for early chemistry development and warming up the players out of their funk and into the regular season. 

Edited by Crimson-JH
  • Like 1

Yes

8 games, first 5 to figure out who makes the team and what line combinations and defence partners work, and then 3 games to get ready. The last couple of years they only played 1 game with the final lineup.

Some of the core can maybe skip the first 2, but should get at least 6 games in.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 1

For years now we sat out star players to more season and it seems to hurt us.

I just hope our stars get lots of play time so we can turn this team around and start winning more games early in the season.  

Yes 

6 games

No let the team have its top lines for 4 to 5 of the games to build chemistry.

Edited by cripplereh

The recurring theme of preseason injures falls in line with a serious concern I have with the Canucks at an organizational level - it simply doesn't know how to deal with health and fitness.  Every fall we suck, and players get hurt.  It feels like every other team got through training camp and preseason ready to take everyone on.  Not us.  We always stumble out the gate and start losing players.  And those who continue playing, play through injuries.  It just seems like incompetence.  Is it really that hard to get a proper preseason training regimen that brings up players' fitness and reduce the risk of injury?  Is it really that hard to stop players from continuing to play with torn ligaments?