The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

• 3 weeks later...

Whitecaps striker Masato Kudo returning to Japan:

Masato Kudo’s time with the Whitecaps is done.

The striker has signed with Sanfrecce Hiroshima, the club confirmed in a release.

Kudo joined the Whitecaps a year ago from Kashiwa Reysol, but managed just 3 goals in 18 total appearances. He’s scored 92 times in 259 games over the preceding seven seasons, all with Kashiwa.

His lone MLS season was disrupted by a terrible jaw break, but when he was healthy, he struggled to make an impact.

In a statement, the Whitecaps confirmed Kudo and the club had “mutually agreed to a contract termination,” meaning he left as a free agent.

“Masato is one of the best professionals I have ever worked with and we are thankful for the contributions he made during his time in Vancouver,” head coach Carl Robinson said in the statement. “This move will provide Masato an opportunity to explore additional first team options. We wish him all the best.”

Following from the post-season departure of Pedro Morales and Blas Perez, and the previous exit of Octavio Perez mid-season, Kudo leaving suggests a major overhaul of the team’s attacking lineup is in the works.

http://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/masato-kudo-returning-to-japan

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He looked good during some games but other games he looked pretty invisible. The games he did play where he looked really good though, he was dazzling out there and dummied by few defenders. Carl certainly liked him and hope he can find a replacement who's capable of doing of what I said above, chipping in with an occasional goal here and there

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-12-30 at 10:44 PM, Beary Sweet said:

He looked good during some games but other games he looked pretty invisible. The games he did play where he looked really good though, he was dazzling out there and dummied by few defenders. Carl certainly liked him and hope he can find a replacement who's capable of doing of what I said above, chipping in with an occasional goal here and there

it is actually a bit surprising how difficult it has been for top tier strikers from other leagues to perform at an elite level in mls

the only big difference i keep hearing about is that the pace of the mls game is higher than other leagues

good to see there are a handful of strikers who have made this transition nicely . .  toronto seems to have 2 of them

i think the caps biggest issue is how to attract the elite level striker and expect them to play on a non grass surface

an almost impossible situation for the team

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Probably doesn't mean that much but the Whitecaps are rated as having the toughest "strength of schedule" in the league for the upcoming season:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/19/2017-strength-schedule-rankings-who-has-toughest-schedule?utm_source=TWIMEmail&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=TwimHero&utm_campaign=01192017

Did we spend some dollars and sign us a goal scorer?  

Saw some activity on this thread so came here hoping to hear some news, any news, on a striker or midfielder signing.

Instead I see we're awarded with the toughest schedule.

Until we get a real coach and management that actually knows what it's doing, this team will be a perennial middling team that will make the playoffs every once once in a while.

• Upvote 1

well we drafted a couple defenders last week in the MLS Super Draft who have bright futures with the Whitecaps in Nerwinski and De Vries. they're both tall and look to be solid defensively. hope that they make a positive impact next year. we also need a few strikers after Morales, Kudo, Rivero left. honestly we need to look elsewhere other than SA. we could at the Bundesliga, La Liga, PL for strikers in their youth club who they don't need, though I think the team will stay put and see what they have in Davies, Froese, and a couple other young pieces like McKendry, Bustos

On 2017-01-20 at 10:10 AM, Beary Sweet said:

well we drafted a couple defenders last week in the MLS Super Draft who have bright futures with the Whitecaps in Nerwinski and De Vries. they're both tall and look to be solid defensively. hope that they make a positive impact next year. we also need a few strikers after Morales, Kudo, Rivero left. honestly we need to look elsewhere other than SA. we could at the Bundesliga, La Liga, PL for strikers in their youth club who they don't need, though I think the team will stay put and see what they have in Davies, Froese, and a couple other young pieces like McKendry, Bustos

overall, the caps draft record historically has been average to below average

their international signings have mostly been good.. with the qualifier.. good for the 1st year

it's strange that the quality players signed have produced for 1 year and then seem to fall off more than a bit

i think the caps have to focus on developing a midfield engine

something tough, reliable, and less flashy.. . morales was talented.. just way too uneven . and lacked toughness

and then at least one elite striker

if those things are in place. .the d is good overall.. as is our goal situation

i think the caps have the chance to become more established and less of a hot and cold team

it is not promising to have a team that has one good year and then a bad year from the same core

that means the core is not really that good

Edited by coastal.view

5 hours ago, coastal.view said:

overall, the caps draft record historically has been average to below average

their international signings have mostly been good.. with the qualifier.. good for the 1st year

it's strange that the quality players signed have produced for 1 year and then seem to fall off more than a bit

i think the caps have to focus on developing a midfield engine

something tough, reliable, and less flashy.. . morales was talented.. just way too uneven . and lacked toughness

and then at least one elite striker

if those things are in place. .the d is good overall.. as is our goal situation

i think the caps have the chance to become more established and less of a hot and cold team

it is not promising to have a team that has one good year and then a bad year from the same core

that means the core is not really that good

I believe that we have a solid defensive holding mid in Laba, who we stole from Toronto. The core is okay as of right now. As you mentioned, we need a less flashier mid who has the willingness to go and join the attack with guys like Manneh, Hurtado, Teibert, etc. Also adding a forward or two would go a long way for this club. I hope we become the Rapids this year where they finished near the bottom and worked their way up. Go Caps

Looks like we're signing another project. And for TAM dollars to boot.

With the glaring holes and just weeks to camp, THIS is who they decide to spend TAM money on???

Started losing faith in those running the team last year, but held out hope that they'd be more aggressive in addressing their issues this off-season.  While the off-season isn't done yet, I've lost all faith in this team and this season will be the first season I don't attend a game. 

It's so obvious to me that both the management team (i.e. Lenarduzzi) and Robbo are in way over their heads in trying to run an MLS team. And it pisses me off that ownership appears content to let this be a middling team as long as they're making money on day-to-day operations and raking in their cut of expansion fees. 

Our all. Our honour. My a$$.

Report: Whitecaps to Add Yordy Reyna

According to Marc Weber of ‘The Province’, the Whitecaps are set to sign the 23 year old forward 

by JonSzekeres@jonszekeres  Jan 22, 2017, 9:29am PST
  •  

According to Marc Weber of ‘The Province’, the Vancouver Whitecaps are adding forward/winger Yordy Reyna, a 23 year old Peruvian International. He goes on to say Reyna will join the team in Wales this coming week, as they get ready for the pre-season. 

As the off-season has worn on, Whitecaps fans have been desperately awaiting a new signing, a big splash that could help spark an attack that was stagnant for large portions of the 2016 season. While Reyna comes with plenty of potential, he’s likely not going to be that player for Vancouver, at least not immediately. 

Here’s what Weber has to say about him.

Caps’ manager Carl Robinson is said to like Reyna’s work ethic, pace and directness, but this move is still clearly a project signing. This is a young player with potential who has been struggling to find his form in Europe, not the impact forward signing fans are waiting for in Vancouver.

Reyna is with Austrian club Red Bull Salzburg, but has spent time on loan, most recently with RB Leipzig. He’s also made the squad for the Peru Men’s National Team with two goals in six appearances, both goals coming in 2013. 

Hopefully some bigger news is on the horizon.

http://www.eightysixforever.com/2017/1/22/14350962/report-whitecaps-to-add-yordy-reyna

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Looks like we're signing another project. And for TAM dollars to boot.

With the glaring holes and just weeks to camp, THIS is who they decide to spend TAM money on???

Started losing faith in those running the team last year, but held out hope that they'd be more aggressive in addressing their issues this off-season.  While the off-season isn't done yet, I've lost all faith in this team and this season will be the first season I don't attend a game. 

It's so obvious to me that both the management team (i.e. Lenarduzzi) and Robbo are in way over their heads in trying to run an MLS team. And it pisses me off that ownership appears content to let this be a middling team as long as they're making money on day-to-day operations and raking in their cut of expansion fees. 

Our all. Our honour. My a$$.

Report: Whitecaps to Add Yordy Reyna

According to Marc Weber of ‘The Province’, the Whitecaps are set to sign the 23 year old forward 

by JonSzekeres@jonszekeres  Jan 22, 2017, 9:29am PST
  •  

According to Marc Weber of ‘The Province’, the Vancouver Whitecaps are adding forward/winger Yordy Reyna, a 23 year old Peruvian International. He goes on to say Reyna will join the team in Wales this coming week, as they get ready for the pre-season. 

As the off-season has worn on, Whitecaps fans have been desperately awaiting a new signing, a big splash that could help spark an attack that was stagnant for large portions of the 2016 season. While Reyna comes with plenty of potential, he’s likely not going to be that player for Vancouver, at least not immediately. 

Here’s what Weber has to say about him.

Caps’ manager Carl Robinson is said to like Reyna’s work ethic, pace and directness, but this move is still clearly a project signing. This is a young player with potential who has been struggling to find his form in Europe, not the impact forward signing fans are waiting for in Vancouver.

Reyna is with Austrian club Red Bull Salzburg, but has spent time on loan, most recently with RB Leipzig. He’s also made the squad for the Peru Men’s National Team with two goals in six appearances, both goals coming in 2013. 

Hopefully some bigger news is on the horizon.

http://www.eightysixforever.com/2017/1/22/14350962/report-whitecaps-to-add-yordy-reyna

They climbed the Andes and found a little white haired man who told them of a player who could be the answer...I read this earlier and was to lazy to post it...I knew they would bring in another bargain basement project.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

The kid actually looks better than I and what we all thought. could be a big part of the team this upcoming season. He has the potential to be something special

He did get 14 goals in the Austrian Bundesliga which is a fair league and its nice to have an attacking midfielder...so we will see..we still need a trustworthy striker...if we get a goal scorer it could turn out well.

Edited by ShakyWalton

• 2 weeks later...

In lieu of any news of an actual signing of a striker and attacking midfielder, thought I'd post their new white jersey.

Much like my feelings on everything else about this team lately, I absolutely hate this. They look like pyjama's. 

Is it really that difficult to create something different? Is there a rule that says we can't have something with more colour? 

_20W0114-small.png?OrPYMsxueY8EHsqBjzfYp

_20W0278-small.png?tQRAflDvNu4txioFRC30g

_20W0444-small.png?nWR9ESpWpxQ32uPErWSTo

_20W0675-small.png?3iAC9TWofZlt8.aqqJ.Y1

_20W1551-small.png?qJKiRypPg90xa0N5g3QVr

_20W1560-small.png?UpjMOUbnnHJbVeKncsn5s

Rotator-Image-PhotoGallery.png?MgzXlqMPy

rotator-jersey-2017-small.png?MPGfwcq.08

Edited by MJDDawg