The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

22 hours ago, spook007 said:

Celtic has their elements as well, but nowhere as bad as the blue corner.

Half the family are green, so we have some good discussions going on at times (the other corner are sheepshaggers :) - Although my heart is United)

Yes a stonewaller, which would probably have been given, if the opposition had been anyone bar the Gers. League is over anyway.

Unfortunately Aberdeen blew it last season (probably the only time they had a decent chance of taking the title, since 1991).

Now that Ronny has left the building Celtic is light years ahead.... And the only real joy expected by the Dons support is being above the huns...i other words, back to normal in the North East.

PS. Come to think of it where in Scotland are you located? Could see you've got to travel down the road to watch the boys in Green.

Aberdeen believe it or not :lol:

Dad's from Glasgow and mum's from the Western Isles where they're Celtic mad, so I was brought up supporting them. Have a soft spot for Aberdeen and like to see them do well, providing it's not against Celtic obviously. I've lived in Glasgow for the last 7 years but moved back up this year to do a Masters at RGU.

7 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Aberdeen believe it or not :lol:

Dad's from Glasgow and mum's from the Western Isles where they're Celtic mad, so I was brought up supporting them. Have a soft spot for Aberdeen and like to see them do well, providing it's not against Celtic obviously. I've lived in Glasgow for the last 7 years but moved back up this year to do a Masters at RGU.

Had a feeling... I'm living in Cove. However age wise I'm at the other end of the spectrum... Good luck at Robert Gordons mate :)

6 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I've actually come across someone on this forum from Altens before. Didn't think it would happen twice :lol:

Quite astonished to hear you're from Cove as well :lol:... Glad to see and hear. And one from Altens as well.

Too bad its between midnight or 3am for the games, as we could have had a few beers, while watching a game.

How did you get your affection for Canucks?

Edited by spook007

42 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Quite astonished to hear you're from Cove as well :lol:... Glad to see and hear. And one from Altens as well.

Too bad its between midnight or 3am for the games, as we could have had a few beers, while watching a game.

How did you get your affection for Canucks?

Yeah, the late face-offs are a pain in the arse.

I have cousins in Vancouver and first visited in 2003 when I went to my first game. I've stayed up late at the weekend since to watch any games that were on, although with work commitments etc. the number has got less over the last few seasons. I've only managed to make it to one Canucks game since then (2011 playoffs in Chicago) but I hope to go in October to see another. Yourself?

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Utd out of FA cup... Chelski deserved winners, but what a pathetic sending off... Never seen such a soft red in my life... What a load of $&!#e

Tough loss this afternoon. Herrera got sent off and that pretty much killed any chance of beating Chelsea. Chelsea scored almost right after half time. De Gea bailed us out numerous times today and he probably deserved MOTM honours. Kept us in the match. Pogba had a few chances but couldn't convert. Didn't watch the match but stayed up to date with United's Twitter updates. We were defending well for the most part but it was tough to hit back without the extra player. We probably deserved at least extra time for defending well but I understand Mourinho for resting up Martial, Rooney for the crucial match vs Rostov. We have to be on the front foot early and hopefully we score a couple goals at home to pull away from them and steal a spot in the EL QFs. Go United!

7 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Yeah, the late face-offs are a pain in the arse.

I have cousins in Vancouver and first visited in 2003 when I went to my first game. I've stayed up late at the weekend since to watch any games that were on, although with work commitments etc. the number has got less over the last few seasons. I've only managed to make it to one Canucks game since then (2011 playoffs in Chicago) but I hope to go in October to see another. Yourself?

In 2005-2006 I was working as master on a cable laying vessel, which for over a year had base in Vancouver. Half of that time we were moored at Canada place, the other half (during the Cruise vessel season) we were moored at a little dock slightly more to the east. A 15-20 min stroll up to GM place... It was heaven. One of these jobs you dream of getting during your life span. And in particular for an old sea dog like myself, who didn't normally spend that kind of time in port.

Went to watch the hockey as often as possible, and even though we missed the playoffs that season, I was sold to the Canucks. Loved Vancouver...Just an amazing place.

Since then I've been following the Canucks and on a regular basis gets up at 3am to watch the games on NHL.com...

Joined CDC late after a few years where I followed the discussions, and eventually wanted to participate. Its been fun.

Unfortunately haven't had a chance to go and watch them play live since, but one day...:)

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Monaco are so fun to watch 

I agree. No wonder why they're 1st in Ligue 1. They just have a good build up on the attack and when they are, watch out. They're certainly a team to watch out for in CL. They can easily win CL and you heard it from me first lol

10 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

I agree. No wonder why they're 1st in Ligue 1. They just have a good build up on the attack and when they are, watch out. They're certainly a team to watch out for in CL. They can easily win CL and you heard it from me first lol

Go Monaco Go!

• Upvote 1

Not the convincing of wins by United this season in the EL but hey got the job done. A 1-0 win and 2-1 on aggregate. A big stop late by Romero off a Rostov FK to preserve the win and advance to the last 8.  We had nearly 80% of the possession in the 1st half and it was unfortunate we didn't find the score board. Rojo had a header early in the game but it was stopped. Mkhitaryan also with a chance on the counter but he just put it wide in the 1st half. Pogba had a chance of his own late in the half but it was another good save. We finally broke through half way through the 2nd half when Mata picked off a Rostov pass, laid it off for Ibra, who one touched it back to him and delivered a delicious through ball for Mkhitaryan who delivered an even better ball in for Ibra who flicked it to Mata and he did the rest. Good win. Wasn't a blowout we were expecting against a team like this but we defended relentlessly and held the fort till the very last second of the game. Heck, Rojo wanted a snack during the game so Mourinho asked Young to give him a banana and he passed it over to Rojo haha. Good memorable moment there. Hope they win this tourney just so we have less pressure on PL. Go United 

Edited by Beary Sweet