The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA football

Gretzky's Mullet

10 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I can't. You play for your brothers.

It's a tough call for me.....

I think that if you're in a major Bowl game (Orange, Cotton, Rose, Sugar) and especially a "final 4" game, then you should play, because the game means so much to your school and your teammates. But if you're on a team that went 7-6 and you're playing in the Cheez-It Bowl, or the Dollar General Bowl (yes, those are real Bowl games) then it's a little different.

Case in point:

https://sports.yahoo.com/winners-losers-new-years-eve-bowl-games-kenny-willekes-broken-leg-shows-players-not-vilified-skipping-bowls-030755197.html

After declaring for the 2019 NFL draft, Michigan State cornerback Justin Layne decided not to play in the Redbox Bowl against Oregon. Layne did not publicly say why, but based on comments from MSU head coach Mark Dantonio it’s safe to assume Layne, like many others, did not want to risk injury playing in the bowl game.

For his part, Dantonio said Layne’s decision was “disappointing.” Dantonio believes players should finish out the season.

“It’s disappointing,” Dantonio said Dec. 19, per the Detroit Free Press. “Everybody these days has a different philosophy on how these things are working out. My philosophy is you finish — you finish the season, and that includes bowl games and playoff games. Other people feel differently. It doesn’t mean I’m right and they’re wrong, it’s just a difference of philosophy.”

Maybe Dantonio’s philosophy changed on Monday.

In his team’s ugly 7-6 loss to Oregon, defensive end Kenny Willekes suffered a broken leg. Willekes, a redshirt junior, is an NFL draft prospect who had not said publicly whether he planned to move on to the pros or return for his final year of eligibility.

Willekes, a former walk-on, entered the game with 76 tackles, 20.5 tackles for loss and eight sacks. He was named the Big Ten’s Defensive Lineman of the Year.

If he did plan on leaving, an injury this serious may alter those plans. Like Jaylon Smith and Jake Butt before him, it shows the immense risk these unpaid athletes take by playing in what basically amounts to an exhibition game while coaches like Dantonio are paid massive bonuses. Smith and Butt were both seniors when they suffered serious injuries in bowl games and fell to later rounds because of their injuries. Falling down in the draft costs players millions of dollars.

Like Willekes, Pitt running back Qadree Ollison, another NFL prospect, also was injured in his team’s bowl game. Playing in a bowl game is completely the player’s choice, but if they had decided not to play, those reasons should be respected and understood.

15 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's a tough call for me.....

I think that if you're in a major Bowl game (Orange, Cotton, Rose, Sugar) and especially a "final 4" game, then you should play, because the game means so much to your school and your teammates. But if you're on a team that went 7-6 and you're playing in the Cheez-It Bowl, or the Dollar General Bowl (yes, those are real Bowl games) then it's a little different.

Case in point:

https://sports.yahoo.com/winners-losers-new-years-eve-bowl-games-kenny-willekes-broken-leg-shows-players-not-vilified-skipping-bowls-030755197.html

Best comparable is probably the World Hockey Championships.  There's always those few guys who choose not to go, and it's disappointing as hell to see them not choose to suit up for their country, even though the tournament isn't particularly meaningful over here.  My thoughts are similar for both though:  The player's country/school invested a lot of time in developing them into professional athletes.  It's a little selfish to choose not to give back

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Best comparable is probably the World Hockey Championships.  There's always those few guys who choose not to go, and it's disappointing as hell to see them not choose to suit up for their country, even though the tournament isn't particularly meaningful over here.  My thoughts are similar for both though:  The player's country/school invested a lot of time in developing them into professional athletes.  It's a little selfish to choose not to give back

Except, in this case, we're talking about college players and it's actually the other way around. Yes, in most cases, they get free tuition and books, but the schools make huge money off of them and they are not compensated for it. I can't blame them for wanting to make sure they aren't injured just before making the jump to the pros, since it could significantly alter their career arc and their earnings.

In the case of the WHC, it's their club teams, not their country that has a ton invested in them. Most want to play for their country anyway, but refusing to go, is actually an act of loyalty to the people that pay their salaries, rather than disloyalty to their country.

So is Trevor Lawrence the next Peyton Manning like many are pegging him out to be?  I remember seeing him on 'Elite 11' on the NFL network and remember thinking 'this kid is still in high school?'  I've seen many saying he'll help Clemson upset 'Bama, should be a great game. 

BTW Elite 11 is a helluva show.  It highlights the top 11 High School QB's and they compete in various drills and such.  At the end they do a big flag football tourney at Nike HQ, best reality show out thereB)

https://www.elite11.com/2018

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

So is Trevor Lawrence the next Peyton Manning like many are pegging him out to be?  I remember seeing him on 'Elite 11' on the NFL network and remember thinking 'this kid is still in high school?'  I've seen many saying he'll help Clemson upset 'Bama, should be a great game. 

BTW Elite 11 is a helluva show.  It highlights the top 11 High School QB's and they compete in various drills and such.  At the end they do a big flag football tourney at Nike HQ, best reality show out thereB)

Definitely doesn't run like manning, but i can see the similarities in other areas.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:19 AM, Tre Mac said:

He's that good.  Processes the game at an extremely high level and has the arm strength to match.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:19 AM, Tre Mac said:

Sure looks like it so far...

Nothing like watching 'Bama get thumped. :towel:

• Cheers 1

Read in the paper today that this was the first time a Nick Saban led 'Bama lost by more than two TD's.  If that's true that is impressive to say the least.

Trevor Lawrence would look good in a Pats jersey:bigblush:

Clemson is going to be fun to watch next year with that passing attack. 

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Read in the paper today that this was the first time a Nick Saban led 'Bama lost by more than two TD's.  If that's true that is impressive to say the least.

Trevor Lawrence would look good in a Pats jersey:bigblush:

Clemson is going to be fun to watch next year with that passing attack. 

Two more seasons of Lawrence passing to Ross.  Bama beat themselves turning the ball over with picks and failed 4th down conversions.  They were lucky they recovered their own fumbles or it could have been even more lopsided.

Odds are we haven't seen the last clash between these two dynasties.  Best rivalry in sports at the moment.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Two more seasons of Lawrence passing to Ross.  Bama beat themselves turning the ball over with picks and failed 4th down conversions.  They were lucky they recovered their own fumbles or it could have been even more lopsided.

Odds are we haven't seen the last clash between these two dynasties.  Best rivalry in sports at the moment.

#14 on 'Bama got torched twice which resulted in two td's.  That was their weakness going in(the secondary) and it got promptly exploited.  Saban needs to recruit a decent kicker lol.  Funny Farhan said this was a battle between in the next two first overall picks but I cannot see Tua going first overall. 

17 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

#14 on 'Bama got torched twice which resulted in two td's.  That was their weakness going in(the secondary) and it got promptly exploited.  Saban needs to recruit a decent kicker lol.  Funny Farhan said this was a battle between in the next two first overall picks but I cannot see Tua going first overall. 

The "Tide got ROLLED"  :lol:

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Yeah, it would be a surprise to see the Cards take another QB with their first pick. That being said, it will be tough for any team to pass on TL, no matter who they have at QB...

18 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, it would be a surprise to see the Cards take another QB with their first pick. That being said, it will be tough for any team to pass on TL, no matter who they have at QB...

Coming from one of the most shrewd talent evaluators in the NFL.  Wow, can't even play until 2021. 

On 1/9/2019 at 7:08 AM, Tre Mac said:

Coming from one of the most shrewd talent evaluators in the NFL.  Wow, can't even play until 2021. 

There is gonna be some epic lvl tanking for the 2021 draft for sure, but the 2020 draft has some killer qbs too. 

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Kyler Murray is going to the NFL!!! Is he the next Russel Wilson? How high dies he get drafted?

Which team or scheme would he fit best?

Or should he just stick to baseball and avoid a potential serious injury due to his small size.

To me it's a no-brainer. MLB contracts are guaranteed and Steve Phillips says that Murray is a "can't miss" MLB star.

Combine that with the fact that KM is very small for an NFL QB and more money to be made in baseball, I think he goes to the A's.

He'll be part of the NFL draft for sure though and he'll probably go fairly high.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

To me it's a no-brainer. MLB contracts are guaranteed and Steve Phillips says that Murray is a "can't miss" MLB star.

Combine that with the fact that KM is very small for an NFL QB and more money to be made in baseball, I think he goes to the A's.

He'll be part of the NFL draft for sure though and he'll probably go fairly high.

Long term health and longevity wise in terms of career you go MLB.

But he has to wait 2 years or more because he is a 5 tool player but is still a raw prospect that has to work his way through the minor league system first. Then he has to establish himself in the MLB before he gets a big free agent deal.

As long as he is a 1st round pick in the NFL he gets more money guaranteed up front than his baseball signing bonus and what he would make his first few years in his baseball career while he toils in the minors.

If I was him I go to the NFL and use the success of short QBs like Russel Wilson and Baker Mayfield as a reference point into what a possible successful career path looks like.

With his baseball background he could be a small version of Patrick Mahomes. They both are mobile and have excellent velocity on their passes.

Kyler Murray's biggest issue might be navigating the trees in the pocket obscuring his view because of his lack of height. One way to combat this is to get on your tippy toes like Drew Brees does so effectively.

This is a very weak qb class. He could easily be QB1 if he crushes the NFL scouting combine in a month or so.

• 7 months later...

It's almost time baby!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-08-19/college-football-rankings-ap-poll-preseason-top-25-has-clemson-no

RANK

NAME

RECORD

PREVIOUS

1 Clemson - 1540  
2 Alabama - 1496  
3 Georgia - 1403  
4 Oklahoma - 1331  
5 Ohio State - 1261  
6 LSU - 1199  
7 Michigan - 1164  
8 Florida - 1054