The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA football

Gretzky's Mullet

This is sad news:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754524-washington-state-qb-tyler-hilinski-dies-at-age-21?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Washington State Cougars quarterback Tyler Hilinski was found dead after apparently killing himself, police in Pullman, Washington, announced Tuesday.

The Seattle Times' Stefanie Loh shared a statement about Hilinski's death from the Pullman Police Department:

Would have likely been the Cougars' starting QB this season. Just hard to wrap your head around the level of depression that would make someone with such a bright future take such an action.:(

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is sad news:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754524-washington-state-qb-tyler-hilinski-dies-at-age-21?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Would have likely been the Cougars' starting QB this season. Just hard to wrap your head around the level of depression that would make someone with such a bright future take such an action.:(

That's so tragic, RIP.  At least we as a society are starting understand depression and are slowly starting to end the stigma surrounding mental illness.  We got a long way to go obviously but at least it's a little easier for people to ask for help then it was 10-20 years ago.   

• 1 month later...

So let me preface this by saying that it's actually pretty funny, but in this day and age, with the #metoo movement happening all around us, it's shall we say just a tad tone deaf?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/more-sports/lane-kiffin-i-look-at-assistants-wives-to-see-if-they-are-good-recruiters/ar-BBJP3Yg?li=AAggNb9

Florida Atlantic coach Lane Kiffin channeled Penn State's James Franklin while discussing his decision to hire offensive coordinator Charlie Weis Jr. in an interview with CBS Sports.

"He's got a beautiful wife," Kiffin told Dennis Dodd. "How'd Charlie get her? I look at assistant coaches' wives. It tells me if they are good recruiters or not."

Franklin - then the head coach at Vanderbilt - made a similar statement in 2012 during a radio appearance, sparking backlash.

"I've been saying it for a long time, I will not hire an assistant coach until I've seen his wife," Franklin said. "If she looks the part, and she's a D-I recruit, then you got a chance to get hired. That's part of the deal."

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I like College Football, and I'm liking it more than NFL and CFL. They have tons of enthusiasm, and are fun to watch, make their share of mistakes. 

Ha, you've posted that vid like three times. 

Florida won big, now sit at 2-1.  Still that loss to Kentucky stings big time.  Next up, a big rival game vs. Tennessee, hopefully that'll be on network tv.

Also, Chip Kelly now 0-3 at UCLA and the QB's dad  not happy:

Things haven’t been going well for Chip Kelly and the UCLA football team. They’re currently 0-3 and their performance on the field hasn’t exactly inspired confidence in the team’s future. But you know things have reached a new level of bad when the father of the team’s quarterback is calling out the head coach on Twitter.

Michael Robinson, the father of Dorian Thompson-Robinson, UCLA’s freshman quarterback, took to Twitter on Sunday to call out Kelly as the source of the team’s woes. He started by responding to a tweet from Bruin Report Online, which pointed out his son hadn’t looked great, but hadn’t been helped by the offensive strategy Kelly put together.

He is speaking on and about the factual… It is all about the coaching, lousy coaching and play calling… Coaching that is so bad that it demands closed practices… Million dollar coach who bares no responsibility… Just random observations from a frustrated dad!

— Michael Robinson (@DoriansDAD) September 17, 2018

Robinson wasn’t pulling any punches when he described Kelly’s “lousy coaching and play calling” and “coaching that is so bad that it demands closed practices.” Robinson admitted that he’s a “frustrated dad” at the end of it, but he tossed some sharp barbs.

Robinson still wasn’t done, though. He had more to say about Kelly.

Look, coach Kelly, if you wish to call him this is 4 and 26 for his last offensively called football games… Dorian has only played in 3 of the last 30 games… Can you say duped!

His years at Oregon was simply a fluke on his part… I am sure that he stood on the shoulders of the actual player callers… Random thoughts, outside looking in, closed practices…

OK then! He’s gotten to the “saying things you can’t take back” phase of being the dad of a college football starting quarterback. Kelly’s successful years at Oregon set the stage for his NFL career, which, well, didn’t quite go as Kelly — or the Eagles or 49ers — planned. Regardless of whether Robinson is right, he certainly has an opinion.

Looking at his Twitter account, Robinson turned against Kelly, who worked hard to keep Thompson-Robinson, a top 50 recruit, committed to UCLA (Thompson-Robinson committed when Jim Mora was head coach), pretty quickly.

As recently as a week ago he was tweeting positive things about Kelly and the team.

Team, Family, Brothers are beginning to gel… Look out PAC12… No heads are hanging… U.C.L.A is coming like a storm..#4sUP

— Michael Robinson (@DoriansDAD) September 13, 2018

No head hanging here, not at UCLA…https://t.co/CJXS8UdyES

— Michael Robinson (@DoriansDAD) September 4, 2018

Starting a season with a new head coach and a quarterback who has been thrust into a starting role (senior transfer Wilton Speight is out with a back injury) isn’t easy. But the Bruins are now 0-3 and haven’t been showing signs that they’re learning from past mistakes. If Robinson’s angry Twitter storm is a sign of things to come, Chip Kelly might want to batten down the hatches.

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Ha, you've posted that vid like three times. 

Florida won big, now sit at 2-1.  Still that loss to Kentucky stings big time.  Next up, a big rival game vs. Tennessee, hopefully that'll be on network tv.

Also, Chip Kelly now 0-3 at UCLA and the QB's dad  not happy:

is he cody hodgson twin brother?

No major upsets yesterday....OSU-Penn St was the game of the day, but the Buckeyes held on for the win. The Cardinal lost to the Irish, but they were #7 and #8 respectively, so it's not a huge surprise (although 38-17 is a bit one sided for two evenly ranked teams)

Clemson and Michigan pushed a bit by Syracuse and Northwestern respectively, but I don't expect to see a lot of movement in the polls.

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

No major upsets yesterday....

Except my Gators beating #23 MS State and now Florida is back in the top 25 at #22.  Might not last though as they take on #5 LSU this weekend.  And if this game isn't on tv locally here then none of the gators games will be televised this year lol.  Make it happen CBS/SEC.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on up!

1 Alabama 7-0 1
2 Ohio State 7-0 2
3 Clemson 6-0 4
4 Notre Dame 7-0 5
5 LSU 6-1 14
6 Michigan 6-1 11
7 Texas  6-1 8
8 Georgia 6-1 3
9 Oklahoma 5-1 12
10 UCF 6-0 9
11 Florida 6-1 13
12 Oregon 5-1 16
13 NC State 5-0 19
14 Kentucky 5-1 17
15 Washington 5-2 10
16 West Virginia 5-1 6
17 Penn State 4-2 7
18 Iowa 5-1 21
19 Texas A&M 5-2 22
20 Appalachian State 4-1 28
21 Cincinnati  6-0 23
22 Mississippi State 4-2 26
23 Wisconsin 4-2 15
24 South Florida 6-0 24
25 Miami 5-2

On 15/10/2018 at 10:11 AM, Tre Mac said:

Moving on up!

1 Alabama 7-0 1
2 Ohio State 7-0 2
3 Clemson 6-0 4
4 Notre Dame 7-0 5
5 LSU 6-1 14
6 Michigan 6-1 11
7 Texas  6-1 8
8 Georgia 6-1 3
9 Oklahoma 5-1 12
10 UCF 6-0 9
11 Florida 6-1 13
12 Oregon 5-1 16
13 NC State 5-0 19
14 Kentucky 5-1 17
15 Washington 5-2 10
16 West Virginia 5-1 6
17 Penn State 4-2 7
18 Iowa 5-1 21
19 Texas A&M 5-2 22
20 Appalachian State 4-1 28
21 Cincinnati  6-0 23
22 Mississippi State 4-2 26
23 Wisconsin 4-2 15
24 South Florida 6-0 24
25 Miami 5-2

Loving my clemson tigers. Wooooooo!!!!!!!!  Not a fan of notre dame. Think they are overated this year. But meh