Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1889 replies to this topic

#1 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

West Kelowna native, Justin Schultz, from Wisconsin U, possibly the best college player not in the NHL might become a Canuck. just like what Billy Sweatt did. Please read the link.

"Option 3
Since Schultz played a year of junior hockey after being drafted, he can become a free agent over the summer if he chooses. The NHL CBA has a loophole that says if you officially withdraw from school (simply has to tell UW he's leaving) and it's the fourth summer after you've been drafted, you can choose to become a free agent.
Not many players do this, but Jason Gregoire from North Dakota chose this route last year. Other players like Bill Sweatt from Colorado College have done the same.
In this scenario, Schultz could earn $925,000 in salary each season with a $92,500 signing bonus both years.
The obvious advantage to this would be that Justin could pick and choose where he wants to play. Being a top 10 prospect in the world, Schultz could essentially choose any team in the NHL to play for next season. Would he want to be closer to his home and play for the Vancouver Canucks? Would he want to go play with a former teammate, or choose a better situation?"

http://www.buckys5th...ack-for-schultz

Edited by bieksa3-, 12 March 2012 - 04:24 PM.

Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#2 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

Thanks, Bieksa3. :)
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#3 Chimon

Chimon

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

Doubt he'll come here. Sweatt hasn't even been given a chance to make the club, so why would he waste his time trying to crack the roster?

CDC STHS Hockey League
2015-16 medium.pngNortheast Division Leader (45-29-8) | DNQ (33-35-8)
2014-15 medium.pngNortheast Division Leader (50-25-7) | AHL President's Trophy (48-19-9)

2013-14 medium.png: Stanley Cup Finalist (41-28-13) | AHL Division Leader (45-19-8)

2012-13 medium.png: GM of the Year, President's Trophy (52-24-6) | AHL Calder Cup (51-18-7)

#4 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

This is pure speculation. It would be nice, but it is very unlikely.

I would have to make a Mike Gillis SHRINE if this were to happen. But Bob Murray wants to sign him bad and right now he has the upper hand.

I loved this quote from the article:

"Schultz looks filthy good every shift he takes for Wisconsin and he clearly doesn't belong in college anymore. His ability to make plays at both ends and control the game is pretty high end," HP writer Corey Pronman wrote on January 18th.

For those of you wondering more about Schultz:

He's a 6'3, 185 pound right handed defenseman.

He was the 43rd pick overall in '08 draft.

He wore an 'A' this year for Wiscosin.

In the past two seasons he's put up 44 points in 37 games & 47 points in 41 games.

Last year he led his team in points (as a defenseman...), this year he finished 2nd, but the guy who had the 3rd most amount of points on the team had 14 less...The next defenseman had only 19 points compared to Schultz' 44.

He's on the same team as current Canucks' prospect Labate, so obviously Canucks scouts have been watching him.

This is what HF has to say about him:

Talent Analysis

Justin Schultz has been one of the finest rearguards in the nation two seasons running. He has a complete offensive game, capable of igniting plays from his own zone, carrying the puck through the neutral zone and making confident, creative plays in the offensive zone. He has shown a strong commitment to improving his defensive game and strength, although he will never be a physical force.

Future
Schultz faces all the challenges a thinner defenseman faces trying to make the leap to the NHL, as well as an adjustment to the 82-game schedule. Nonetheless, he possesses such a comprehensive skill set and sound work ethic that it hardly seems like a reach to project him as a top-four defenseman.

Doubt it would happen, but it would be amazing... Next year K-Conn & Schultz running the Wolves' PP? Wouldn't even be funny.

Was born & raised in West Kelowna.

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 12 March 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#5 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

Interesting read. Thanx for posting.

#6 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Doubt he'll come here. Sweatt hasn't even been given a chance to make the club, so why would he waste his time trying to crack the roster?

He's 21, weighs 185lbs. He will need to fill out before he makes any teams roster or he will get manhandled.

Edited by Snowy Hell, 12 March 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#7 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,158 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

He might come here because of the hometown factor but he might also want to go somewhere where he'll actually have a chance to play. Vancouver isn't the greatest place for prospect development. Another factor is that he plays on the same team as Labate.

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 12 March 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#8 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

Can't hurt to have another defenseman in development. If he wants to play in the NHL right away though, Vancouver might not the place.

#9 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,297 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Why wouldn't he get a chance in Vancouver? Seems to me we're going to have some holes on D next season.

He would have just as good of a chance to make the team as Tanev, Sauve, or Connauton.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#10 Hedman

Hedman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

He's 21, weighs 185lbs. He will need to fill out before he makes any teams roster or he will get manhandled.

Here's a pretty good comparison.

http://eliteprospect...hp?player=39601

http://eliteprospect...hp?player=18241

#11 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,541 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

Ya, like that 185lb Chris Tanev.
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#12 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

That would be really good. I hope that we can package Sauve with Scheneids for a top 2 pick this year, then Salo will retire and sign Schultz. He can be on the top pairing in the AHL and maybe be called up for a few NHL games.

#13 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

I'd love to sign him, but it would make sense for him to go somewhere where he can make an immediate impact.

#14 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Here's a pretty good comparison.

http://eliteprospect...hp?player=39601

http://eliteprospect...hp?player=18241

Ya, like that 185lb Chris Tanev.

Ya the first couple sites I looked him up said 163lbs, and then later saw hes 185lbs and made the edit.

#15 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

He might come here because of the hometown factor but he might also want to go somewhere where he'll actually have a chance to play. Vancouver isn't the greatest place for prospect development. Another factor is that he plays on the same team as Labate.

Agree, but Vancouver isn't a bad place for prospect development. It just isn't the best place if you want to fast track your way to the NHL.

Under the Gillis regime (basically 4 seasons) Hodgson, Grabner, Schneider & Tanev have all become NHL ready (or better) prospects. While Connauton & Lack have turned into an AHL all-stars. Shiro has become an ever better KHL player. Oreskovich was given a shot. Schroeder & Rodin are improving all the time as well.

Like Detroit, Vancouver is turning into a great place for prospect development, but because of the team depth, you have to be a patient prospect.

By all accounts, Schultz has a good work ethic, so you never know.

The probability is small, but it would be nice..

#16 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,869 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

Anaheim has to get this kid signed, he's playing in the NHL next year

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#17 gragnanifan1

gragnanifan1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

wouldnt get to play in van
Posted Image
credit goes to allons-y
Posted Image NHL 13 GM Connected -GM of the Hurricanes http://forum.canucks...ed-league-xbox/

#18 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

#19 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

It'd be epic, but I don't see it happening. Not sure why he doesn't just re-up with the Ducks!
Posted Image

#20 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Greasiest Moostache in the League.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#21 NAILED-BY-THE-HAMMER

NAILED-BY-THE-HAMMER

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

B.C. looks to be developing players at a terrific rate in the last decade. hope we find a way to convince him to sign and further develop within vancouver's organisation.
Posted Image

#22 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Wow I'd love to have this B.C. boy, it seems like he's exactly what we need..

But all we're hearing right now is going to be speculation, we'll just have to wait and see. I don't know what the big discrepancy is of him not signing with the Ducks. I'm sure every league is going to be an offer on the table if he does choose to be a free agent, but it's all up to him. If Gillis pulled that off, I think we'd all forget about Coho leaving

#23 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

B.C. looks to be developing players at a terrific rate in the last decade. hope we find a way to convince him to sign and further develop within vancouver's organisation.

Wisconsin also seems to be developing some good draft picks & players lately:

- Jamie McBain
- Derek Stepan
- Blake Geoffrion
- Brenden Smith
- Kyle Turris
- Davis Drewiske
- Ryan McDonagh
- Cody Goloubef
- Jake Gardiner
- Craig Smith
- Joseph Labate
- Jake Dowell

Not bad.

#24 Z.Kassian9

Z.Kassian9

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Damn that's one good stache ;) haha

#25 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

pretty solid wrister and a bomb, one marginal hipcheck lol; is he physical? (report says that he doesn't play D; could he be another Bieksa if he is physical? He looks like a right handed Lidstrom just by how he carried the puck in the vid-- no I didn't mean the hit was Lidstrom-like lol)

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#26 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

pretty solid wrister and a bomb, one marginal hipcheck lol; is he physical? (report says that he doesn't play D; could he be another Bieksa if he is physical? He looks like a right handed Lidstrom just by how he carried the puck in the vid-- no I didn't mean the hit was Lidstrom-like lol)

Yeah, he looks like Lidstrom when he is manning the point as well (at least that was my thought).

Doesn't look very much like Lidstrom rushing down the side though... haha.

I don't think he's known as a 'physical' style player, but that might have to do with his weight. If he could put on 12-16 pounds I would bet he would become a bit more of a physical presence.

Man, if GMMG could actually sign J-Schultz... holy.

#27 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

Schultz could get a shot immediately with the Ducks and maybe he’s loyal to the team that drafted him. I would be. But maybe Schultz wants to play the field. Maybe he wouldn’t mind passing it to RNH, Hall and Eberle. Or, maybe he would rather sign and play for the Canucks, closer to his Kelowna home? There could be a long lineup for Schultz. He’s that good.

- Jim Matheson

#28 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

RIGHT HANDED SHOT - the very reason why Kevin Bieksa has immunity from being benched.

Schultz will get every chance in the world to make this team if he chooses Vancouver.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#29 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,573 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Lets just put it this way, he's either good enough to playin the NHL or he's not, it doesn't matter even if he signs to a weaker team, were his chance of playing in the NHL is higher. The chance of him making the NHL right away if he signed with Columbus over a team like Vancouver is tiny. It's all wether he is good enough or not to play at the NHL level. But again, he has every oppurtunity to make the team. Look at Chris Tanev. He's already playing games with us.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#30 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Yeah, he looks like Lidstrom when he is manning the point as well (at least that was my thought).

Doesn't look very much like Lidstrom rushing down the side though... haha.

I don't think he's known as a 'physical' style player, but that might have to do with his weight. If he could put on 12-16 pounds I would bet he would become a bit more of a physical presence.

Man, if GMMG could actually sign J-Schultz... holy.

It would have nothing to do with Gillis but the fact that it's Vancouver if Schultz signs here - he'd sign here even if it was Brian Burke because this is his home team (I'm assuming).

- Jim Matheson

Well, close to home, yes. But I'd like to remind Jim Matheson that there's a certain Cranbrook BC resident that has his number retired in Anaheim and is one of the greatest to ever play the game - Scott Niedermayer.

If Murray can't get it done, I'm sure Niedermayer will give him a quick talk. That's a factor nobody's mentioned yet I don't think. If you're an aspiring defenseman and Scott Niedermayer gives you a call, you better listen to what he's got to say.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.