The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

I'm sure Gillis will call Suter's agent to see if there's a possible fit but everything coming from Suter has suggested family will be the biggest determining factor to where he decides to sign, and unfortunately that means the Mid-West. I'd absolutely love to have Suter but he has no ties to this region. Weber is the only plausible #1 defenceman we would have a shot at in free agency. He's more in control of his situation than most realize. He could field offers, pick a particular team based on sales pitch and then tell Poile that is where he wants to go "so get the most out of a trade or I'm signing a one-year offersheet".

If Gillis could somehow land Suter, I'd hope he'd be all over that (which could open up the notion of trading Edler) but I doubt Suter has much interest in playing here. Detroit, Chicago (rumoured to be offering up Hjarmalsson for Sam Gagner, thereby opening a hole on the left side, with whispers of an offersheet being tendered if Edm won't accept), St. Louis, maybe even Minny with their stocked cupboard of prospects and if Pittsburgh lands Parise, that could also be enticing (if not in Mid-West).

I'd love to see Suter and Weber end up here, but it's never gonna happen. Mind you, if you can't live with Edler's errors you'll probably be disappointed with some of Shea's gaffes as well (much less frequent but still glaring when they do occur).

If he picks Minny or Edmonton he will be facing our crowd as an enemy around 3-4 times a season. That's a handful of games where everytime he touches the ice, he will be harassed.This city will call for his head if he goes to a division rival, which is funny because he isn't even a Canuck (yet) :P

I'm not saying this will keep him from signing to another club, i'm just thinking how much the fans will try to make it suck for him to play in our arena if he goes to another club

He might have the upper hand in the negotiations with where he want's to go. But no GM or coach will guarantee a rookie top minutes with no experience on this level. That's just talk. If it were the case, he wouldn't have created such big interest from teams in the first place. No one likes a cocky rookie, especially if they won't have to. Witch they don't, since they haven't signed them. Except Philadelphia.

Nothing on twitter. Don't you think he'd tweet that an be the first to write about it instead of some blog?

Edit: I just read the Edmonton blog. Talk about misleading, you say:

Nowhere in the blog post (nor in Botchford's original article) does it say the Canucks are out, instead it it simply suggests that the Oilers "may have gotten a leg up" if the Canucks are indeed unwilling to guarantee icetime. Who knows if that's what Schultz actually wants to hear (a team prematurely capitulating to rookie "demands" that no one is even sure he's made)?

Then there's this: what if Botch is speaking simple "misinformation" in the media? That way if Gillis, Gillman & AV do guarantee minutes nobody but Schultz, his agents and the Canucks need to know that as it would/could reflect badly when trying to woo other veteran free agents. Everyone has a different "leg up" in negotiations, from guaranteed roster spot to guaranteed icetime to living out your childhood dream by winning a Cup with your favourite team to playing with a bunch of buddies on a Cup contender in the most vibrant city in the world, etc etc.

Edit #2: Btw, after seeing Sather's quip "who? I was meeting with Donny [Meehan] about golfing", I gotta think he was that GM who was "embarrassed" by this process and by the sounds of it that meeting did not go well ("who?" is a pretty big slap in the face). Looks like I was completely wrong on the Rags being in it.

I'm sure Gillis will call Suter's agent to see if there's a possible fit but everything coming from Suter has suggested family will be the biggest determining factor to where he decides to sign, and unfortunately that means the Mid-West. I'd absolutely love to have Suter but he has no ties to this region. Weber is the only plausible #1 defenceman we would have a shot at in free agency. He's more in control of his situation than most realize. He could field offers, pick a particular team based on sales pitch and then tell Poile that is where he wants to go "so get the most out of a trade or I'm signing a one-year offersheet".

If Gillis could somehow land Suter, I'd hope he'd be all over that (which could open up the notion of trading Edler) but I doubt Suter has much interest in playing here. Detroit, Chicago (rumoured to be offering up Hjarmalsson for Sam Gagner, thereby opening a hole on the left side, with whispers of an offersheet being tendered if Edm won't accept), St. Louis, maybe even Minny with their stocked cupboard of prospects and if Pittsburgh lands Parise, that could also be enticing (if not in Mid-West).

I'd love to see Suter and Weber end up here, but it's never gonna happen. Mind you, if you can't live with Edler's errors you'll probably be disappointed with some of Shea's gaffes as well (much less frequent but still glaring when they do occur).

If he signs with Vancouver he'll play 15 minutes a night for about 40 games and won't be anything special.

If he signs with Edmonton he'll play 20 minutes a night for 82 games, may shine at times but his development will be severley stunted.

MG signs Schultz and can retain a lot of possibilities;

Signed

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Schultz

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

To be Signed

Salo

Garrison

Allen

If Schultz is signed I think the Garrison possibility is gone for CAP reasons. Allen becomes more likely as a defensive anchor for Edler with Schultz at 3rd pairing right side with 2nd pairing PP. I say this because a CUP contending team cannot gamble on Salo playing significant minutes like he did last year. It would also be a gamble that Schultz will have the predicted impact most are assuming. If in fact he does have that impact then MG has lots of trade potential in a Allen and Tanev and Ballard.

I suspect the Canuck offer to Schultz is as I mentioned 3rd pairing combined with PP duty on the 2nd unit. He would expect 15 to 18 minutes a night. Schultz probably has enough confidence in his own ability that given that opportunity he will climb from there. Long term SChultz has to realize that Bieska is a 2nd pairing PP man not first. With solid play he will inherit the 1st PP right side. A Allen signing is almost a necessity as Bieksa moves to the 1st PP pairing. Allen to the PK. The only alternative would be Salo and IMHO that is a step back.

A Schultz signing sets all sorts of scenarios into play which might culminate into a serious play at Weber next year. By that time a decision will have to be made on Edler as his contract will be up.

if he goes to the oilers and is in a top 2 role it may be too big of a role too soon, if he isn't able to cope against top line players it could mess with his mind/confidence. plus he is doubling the amount of games he has to play each season so he has increased fatigue (physical AND mental), which adds to the situation, especially if they promised top pairing minutes. the oilers fans could turn on him quickly, and again, it could hurt his development if his confidence gets shot early.

Archived