The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Schultz, Who Is He, What Will He Do And Why Is This In The Prospect Forum?!

There are 30 teams in the NHL, if he doesn't go to the Ducks, that leaves 29, with Vancouver being 1 of those 29. By your math, that gives us a 50 % chance of landing him.... I think you and I must have (thankfully) gone to different high schools.

If Schultz truly is top-four ready, then I would absolutely love Gillis to pursue him. His puck-moving possession game would fit in smoothly with the Canucks, and he could potentially line up next to Edler for years to come.

Find a way to dump Ballard, then sign a solid UFA shutdown defenseman (Allen, Zanon, Stuart, Grossman, etc,) and pair him with Tanev (or Salo if he decides to come back) and we have a very solid defensive core.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Schultz

UFA - Tanev/Salo

Rome/Alberts

Frack it pisses me off how good Anaheim can draft with their late first and beyond. They are really good at picking off good 2nd rounders. 2007 Entry 42 2 Eric Tangradi 2008 Entry 43 2 Justin Schultz 2009 Entry 26 1 Kyle Palmieri 2009 Entry 76 3 Igor Bobkov 2010 Entry 29 1 Emerson Etem 2010 Entry 42 2 Devante Smith-Pelly 2011 Entry 30 1 Rickard Rakell 2011 Entry 39 2 John Gibson 2011 Entry 143 5 Max Friberg

He follows the wrong team for this article. If it was from the la times or something it would warrant some credence. However, its just written to rile up nucks fans thinking that a prospect from another team would come here through a loophole. While its true he is weighing his options, anaheim will put a full court press to sign him. This is marginally better than the lecavlier for luongo articles. More conspiracy theory than weber and parise threads, but the same thing

They forgot to mention his favorite team growing up is the Vancouver Canucks.

Frack it pisses me off how good Anaheim can draft with their late first and beyond. They are really good at picking off good 2nd rounders. 2007 Entry 42 2 Eric Tangradi 2008 Entry 43 2 Justin Schultz 2009 Entry 26 1 Kyle Palmieri 2009 Entry 76 3 Igor Bobkov 2010 Entry 29 1 Emerson Etem 2010 Entry 42 2 Devante Smith-Pelly 2011 Entry 30 1 Rickard Rakell 2011 Entry 39 2 John Gibson 2011 Entry 143 5 Max Friberg

The article has its merits, Bob McKenzie also said on his twitter that Schultz is considering all his options and that if Schultz doesn't sign with Anaheim soon (last week), the logical implication is that he is going to test FA. It doesn't matter if Anaheim will "put a full court press to sign him", there is only so much Anaheim can offer since this is his ELC.

If you have bothered to read what Chuck has outlined in his article, then you will know that monetarily wise it is best for Schultz to sign with Anaheim right now because it will allow a year of his ELC to be burnt off, which means he will get to his second contract a year earlier. If he doesn't sign before regular season is over for the Ducks, then it makes no sense for him to sign with the ducks in the summer because he would have just thrown away hundreds of thousands just to sign with the team he could've been with right now. If he holds out on the ducks then it would definitely be to test out the free agency market and you could pretty much be sure that there will be 29 offers waiting for him. People are getting excited because we are one of the few teams that kind of has ties with him. Since there is a limit to the money he could earn on his ELC ($925,000/year), we don't have to worry about teams like Rangers or Edmonton throwing a retarded 5 year 15 mil contract at him to lure him away.

The only saving grace right now for ducks fans is that Schultz is considering a senior year in college, but that's incredibly unlikely.

Having said all that, however, nobody really knows what Schultz is looking for so don't get your hopes up just yet because he is a BC boy. He might be looking to play top minutes on a shallow defense/young team like Edmonton, play with his buddy in Toronto, or a big city like New York (who also have a couple of his former teammates).

• 7 months later...

I thought he was going to be overhyped, but right now (it is still early) he has blown the door off of expectations. 5 more points than Jordan Eberle with the same number of games played? 6 goals in 8 games? The question is whether he keeps up over a ppg pace (no way he keeps up this curent pace). Also, will his game translate in the NHL?

I thought he was going to be overhyped, but right now (it is still early) he has blown the door off of expectations. 5 more points than Jordan Eberle with the same number of games played? 6 goals in 8 games? The question is whether he keeps up over a ppg pace (no way he keeps up this curent pace). Also, will his game translate in the NHL?

I just don't see him failing at the NHL level like so many people here seem to think he will. He's not a kid anymore, he's developed properly and is destroying it in his first pro season. He's not small like Gragnani either, so I see his game translating just fine in the NHL, especially because he's playing with Eberle and RNH and Hall now. They can develop chemistry for the big club, and he must have a lot of confidence having more points then all of them and being a defenseman.

Archived