The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keith Hit Thread

gramowar

Fraser thought it should have been a match penalty.

The deliberate elbow delivered by Duncan Keith directly to the head of Daniel Sedin was at bare minimum a five-minute major and game misconduct for elbowing. The best call would have been a match penalty under Rule 45.5 for deliberate attempt to injure under the elbowing rule!

Duncan Keith demonstrated absolutely no intent on playing the puck that flew off the glass and was well out of range of Sedin when contact was made. Instead, once the opportunity for a payback on Daniel's non-penalized shoulder contact to Keith's head six and a half minutes earlier reared its ugly head, Duncan Keith seized the moment in an open-ice assault. As Daniel turned to look up ice and follow the puck, Duncan Keith's elbow was elevated, cocked and planted with force directly to the head of a surprised Daniel Sedin.

If Duncan Keith had hauled off and sucker-punched Sedin or cracked him over the head with his stick instead of with a deliberate elbow, I would hope that most referees would deem either of those acts as a premeditated attempt to injure his opponent and appropriately assess a match penalty.

The two acts I just described would not be deemed as checking tactics on a play of this nature; or even illegal ones that would result in a minor penalty. They would cross the line that defines normal minor infractions and venture into the most dangerous territory of attempting to injure a player. How does a deliberate elbow to the head, which generated as much force or more than a punch or stick, possibly be deemed a minor infraction? The truth is; there is no logical rational to support a minor penalty on this play or others that we have seen recently occur.

Daniel Sedin should not have gotten a free pass last night in the game either. His high hit on Duncan Keith warranted at least a minor penalty for boarding or as I would prefer, an illegal check to the head. Even though this is not the type of hit you would expect from Daniel Sedin nor does he have a previous history, his illegal contact to the head of Duncan Keith should also be reviewed and dealt with.

Last night I appeared on That's Hockey 2Nite on TSN2 via a Skype transmission from my home studio. My friend and show host, Steve Kouleas, asked me how much responsibility the on-ice officials have to help solve the problem of head hits and do Brendan Shanahan and the on-ice officials need to work in unison? The answer was a resounding, "YES they do!"

The officials are the first line of defense in enforcing an acceptable standard on all rule infractions. How they employ this standard across the board goes a long way to act as a deterrent for player willingness to break the rules and more importantly in providing for player safety.

The official's ability to accurately differentiate between minor and major infractions on the ice is vital to the success of controlling (and hopefully someday eliminating) dangerous hits and deliberate hits to the head of an opponent. Game enforcement is not only a most visible sign to participants in that specific game but to the hockey community at large as to what is deemed acceptable conduct.

In too many situations witnessed this season, the officials have either missed the mark altogether or came up short by at least three minutes plus a game misconduct. The judgment of the referees needs to be collectively and immediately retooled by NHL V.P. of Officiating, Terry Gregson, to conform to a higher standard that is currently being maintained by the Player Safety Committee.

As much as the on-ice officials are the first line of defense, Brendan Shanahan and the Player Safety Committee are the last line defense. For the most part Brenda Shanahan has done a very good job in ruling on dangerous hits and has levied suspensions this season that were previously unheard of. With some teams just 10 games away from playoff competition and chasing a spot, decisions on suspensions at this time can have a huge impact on a team.

This factor did not deter 'Shanny' from imposing a deserved three-game suspension to Shane Doan for his elbow on Jamie Benn. The Coyotes sit tied in points for the last playoff spot with the LA Kings, who have a game in hand and are just two point ahead of San Jose (one game in hand) and Calgary. Shane Doan is a key cog in the Phoenix Coyotes' machine and will miss Conference games against Colorado, San Jose and St. Louis.

Decisions at this time are also crucial in maintaining player accountability and a standard that hopefully will act as a strong deterrent moving into the playoffs. I look for Duncan Keith to receive a minimum of five games for his deliberate elbow to the head of Daniel Sedin. In addition, it is my hope that Daniel Sedin receives a one-game suspension for his careless hit to the head of Duncan Keith that was not penalized.

The on-ice officials (refs) need to work more in unison with Brendan Shanahan in the area of enforcement and to help support tough decisions that are being made with player safety in mind. That, by the way, is one of the primary job descriptions of the referee.

Trying again...previous posting got lost.

Here would be my ruling on Duncan Keith....suspended until Daniel Sedin returns to the lineup.

The same should have happened for those who put Crosby out for months.

Shanahan is no better than Campbell was.....afraid to act against unnecessary violence on the ice.

Do we want a career-ending incident to occur? Is that what he's looking for.

Anyone remember Green/Maki......anyone heard of the Eddie Shore incident?

Sykes

The response by the Canucks was definitely NOT enough, the situation should have been dealt with that shift or the next when Keith was out there. Seriously disappointed and slightly concerned at the Canucks inability to stick up for their leading goal-scorer.

Like that was just straight up embarrassing... Do something, dont leave it up to the league to decide cause he's gonna get 3 games suspension and we're gonna be without our top guy!

I don't see how Keith can justify how he kicks up his front leg and angles himself he can reach higher. He clearly makes an additional effort to target the head.

He should get the rest of the season. Keith knows what position his team is in the standings. He is aware of the consequences. This is an example the NHL needs to set.

I find it hilarious how Keith says he doesn't want to hurt anybody. So the chickenhawk wing was just an accident? What was he trying to do there? Introduce his elbow to Dans face for a date? What is it with these players who just lie for damage control? It's pretty obvious to everyone that Keith was trying to injure Dan and that Marchand was not protecting himself.

At least some chickenhawk fans can admit when one of their players does something stupid. LMAO at some of them trying to justify it with Dan's interference penalty....great logic. Pay him back with a clean hit or a goal....not a decapitation attempt. :rolleyes:

I think Fraser nailed it - "minimum 5 games".

I don't expect Keith to get much more than that though, seeing how he has no history.

As for Daniel Sedin getting 1 game for his hit, if that were the standard, Jamie McGinn would only be able to play 41 games a year. Maybe a fine...?

Keith getting 5 games with less than 10 remaining in the season?? he's laughing his ass off that he knocked the leading scorer of their rivals and potentially getting us eliminated in the frist round.

A day to cool down and im still pissed and dissatisfied with the response. Dont get me wrong, I like what Kassian and Bieksa did, and with refs and Hawks draped all over them, it was hard to beat the shiet out of Keith. But I wanted Kane,Hossa,Brunnete and any other soft Hawks forwards to pay for Keith's cowardness.

If Keith wasnt gonna answer for the cheapshot, one of their softer forwards should have been getting a beat down to send a message. Now im not saying go all Bertuzzi on them, but rag doll Kane or Hossa "Marchand" them if you will, rough them up make the rest of the game misreable for them. No face washing, shoving and all that crap.

The only suspension id be happy with is if the suspension is playoff games. Concussions are a very pesky injury, we might not see Daniel till next year, you never know with concussions. So if were losing our top player due to a cheap shot, Keith better not be playing in the playoffs.

Even a ref from a much tougher era of hockey realizes that that it should have been a game misconduct and is worthy of a suspension.

Why are these refs having so much trouble? No one can be this bad at their jobs unless they're doing it on purpose.

Do players responsible for these dirty hits not realize that we're not stupid and trying to justify them or plead innocent just makes it worse? Everyone who saw the hit can make their own assessment and we surely don't need Keith to put his spin on it. Let us, as compentent individuals, make up our own minds.

Accountability accompanied by an apology goes a lot further than a bunch of garbage being spewed out in trying to save face. Save it, just makes you look like a liar as well as a punk at that point.

Even a ref from a much tougher era of hockey realizes that that it should have been a game misconduct and is worthy of a suspension.

Why are these refs having so much trouble? No one can be this bad at their jobs unless they're doing it on purpose.

You know what else pisses me off last night, The 2 refs on Kassian, while Bieksa is getting ganged by Bolland and Sharp.

The refs/leauge are training the Canucks that = defend/stand up for yourselves and you will get penalised. Thats basically what happened in the Boston series and all the games against the Hawks.

Yea, so I don't even know if the players know what to do anymore?

Stand up for yourself and put your team shorthanded? Or just take the beatings and slowly get injured as the series goes on?

I guarantee if we initiate stuff like this, we'll be the ones getting penalties, so that's not an option either.

It's a pretty disheartening thought.

I am a Hawks fan and attended the game last night. Here are my unsolicited observations:

Keith's hit was dirty. He should be suspended. I bet it's 3-5 games. His hit was worse than Doan's but he isn't a repeat offender. I am biased like most fans but Keith is not a dirty player. He lost his cool. He should and will pay for it. (That is cold comfort to Canucks fans right now but that is an unfortunate reality. We have been through the same thing with Seabrook, Havlat and Toews.)

The Canucks escalated the chippy play early. I think that's what prompted the loss of cool. Daniel Sedin's hit was dirty. He should get a game. He won't. I'm not going to fall apart like a wet-eyed drama queen about it but he was way late and went for the head. Edler's hit on Shaw was dirty in my opinion. It should at least have been a minor. I think there was a punch thrown at Kane, too. All of this preceded Keith's hit. Again, that doesn't justify a dirty hit. But you should be objective enough to: (a) recognize that the Canucks weren't lily white; and (B) avoid professing surprise that things escalated. That is a pretty natural human reaction.

There are a lot of really negative and classless things said on here about the Hawks and their fans. If you go on the Hawks' message board, you will see the same sentiments expressed by Hawks fans toward the Canucks and their fans. It's unfortunate on both ends because I think both teams are classy and a lot less dirty than many others in the league. Moreover, the negative stuff tends to define the fan bases when I think the majority of the fans try to be respectful, knowlegdeable and objective.

Archived