The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler's Friendly Discussion With Keith!

MJDDawg

The Canucks sent a message. They grabbed Keith in a scrum every chance they got after the hit and ended up getting him in a fight. There's not much else our team can do in terms of responding physically.

Personally I want to see a bit of a dirty hit targetted at Keith but that's just not how the Canucks play. Sadly its how you win in this league nowadays, as the last 2 Cup winners basically won cups by injuring their opponents until they had to play against AHLers.

If we see these guys in the playoffs I can guarantee you now, Keith won't be finishing the series. Kassian and Burrows really targetted him all night and you can bet they haven't forgotten what he did.

This team is too passive for my liking.

The whole 'play whistle to whistle' or 'take the highroad' crap should be revisited by management.

Canadians have been a dominant force in the hockey world because of their pride, battle and grit. (not fighting)

We need our players to find this and start giving a s**t about each other on the ice. Instead, we have a superstar

in Daniel that takes all kinds of abuse (speedbagged and elbowed) by other teams while our boys sit on the bench

or float around the ice crossing their fingers hoping for a powerplay?

Pathetic, I don't WANT to win like this.

My god man, they are prospects for Christ's sake, Kesler didn't wow when it was his first year as a Canuck nor did Burrows . Team toughness has been addressed with Weise/Lapierre/Bitz. Do you expect those guys to be on the ice all the time? Or do you want a team full of Ben Eagers, or Daniel Carcillos? The team wins with skill not grit. The total retardation in your post astonishes me.

It's really disappointing to see how many people wanted some kind of immediate retribution, in the form of a player dropping the gloves or even worse.

Our team respects the NHL, it respects the other players, even if they don't respect us. The NHL levelled a 5 day suspension, that's pretty much the rest of the regular season at this point. Who knows, it might have an impact. Probably not enough of an impact to make Chicago miss the playoffs, but it's possible.

The point is, the Canucks are taking the high road, and in doing so they are setting a great example for the rest of the league, about how the game should be played and the players respected. As fans, we should admire them for not losing their cool even when one of their good friends was injured so blatantly on the ice, and respect that they did the right thing by not stooping to Chicago or Boston level.

You don't get your star players to drop the gloves or get into many scrums- playoffs are around the corner do you really want kesler fighting? gets injured - now we have no center ... use your brains..

kassian went after seabrook - seabrook wanted nothing.. bieksa burrows went after keith.. it was fine.

just because other teams are dirty doesn't mean that our team has to be - we've been succesful the way we've been playing..

so everyone should just calm down and wait until we play them in the playoffs and you know just like last year the canucks were the best hitting team in the NHL PLAYOFFS... and they will be again this year.

Wow kind of a dumb post, first off Edlers play does the talking, & as others said he didn't see the play. What chasing Keith all game and handling him like a rag doll isn't good enough, I was actually quite proud of our reaction to Keith, and the scrums that followed. Don't think the ops and penalties that follow played into potential PP ops. Once again, not a great post OP.

It's a damned if you do/don't for the Canucks.

They have TRIED to stick within the confines of the game as the rules are set out because it's supposed to happen that way. The league is supposed to be changing and addressing this stuff in a no nonsense manner, but it's been a slow drag getting there.

The message ISN'T being sent - you're right - by the league that's responsible for sending it. Still dropping the ball.

I am of the thinking that we do need to step up - I so badly wanted Bieksa to drop someone, ANYONE, after that incident. He is one of my absolute favourite players but, with that, he called us out as fans to do more. I want him to do more in cases like this...I want the Bieksa of old, who made me want to wear this jersey that I wear, to flatten someone. (Still miss Jovo for the heart and soul that had him drop guys in situations like this)

You can't go back and do it now - I don't think the guys should get lost in this...they need to move forward and focus on playing hockey. I do agree with having to play tough but I feel we're doing so. It's just sad that in trying to stay within the rules, we get eaten alive. The refs/league are doing a piss poor job with that.

I'm afraid that the Bertuzzi incident has left an imprint on the Canucks that will never fade. We simply don't get away with payback and it's a shame that double standards (and blind eyes) are the case and that our guys are still being abused in a game that shouldn't allow for it. But retaliatory = disaster as far as the Canucks go.

I see Lappy in there, standing his ground (always). I see Burr's emotion in wanting to lash out when his friend is taken out. It's tough when the other team has two guys headlocking from behind. And the refs always seem to fly in quickly when WE'RE trying to assert ourselves...unfortunately, their skates don't move that quickly when it's our guys getting rabbit punched, crosschecked in the face after whistles, etc. I blame the pathetic refs mostly. And if you simply start swinging in these situations, with our luck, someone will get blindsided, critically hurt and we're back at stage one. Very confusing to know what the right way to address this crap is - again, shouldn't have to have this dilemma in the first place. League that does nothing (still) - I'm looking at you. But we come out the losers despite which path we take. My immediate reaction was let the bodies hit the floor. In our kinder, gentler game.

I want to see Kassian as someone sending that message, but am willing to give him a bit of a pass (for now), because it isn't fair not to in considering where he's at. It'll come - but he has played on the edge in the past and suspension are something he's familiar with (I believe). So, again, it's trying to play around that.

We had one punch land in a way that had devastating repercussions. Beyond the legal and other punishment that came with that, it was a black cloud that hovered over the team for a long time. So you have to be careful what you wish for - but the league should have addressed this long ago in a more direct/immediate way. Still foot dragging and inconsistent and THAT makes it impossible to know HOW to work around it.

That lack of reaction is the coach telling them we will get our revenge on the scoreboard during any possible power play. The irony is that is exactly why we lost round 4 last year...as our guys were getting beaten like a red headed rented mule, no one did anything..expecting zebras to give us power plays...which never materialized.

It's a damned if you do/don't for the Canucks.

They have TRIED to stick within the confines of the game as the rules are set out because it's supposed to happen that way. The league is supposed to be changing and addressing this stuff in a no nonsense manner, but it's been a slow drag getting there.

The message ISN'T being sent - you're right - by the league that's responsible for sending it. Still dropping the ball.

I am of the thinking that we do need to step up - I so badly wanted Bieksa to drop someone, ANYONE, after that incident. He is one of my absolute favourite players but, with that, he called us out as fans to do more. I want him to do more in cases like this...I want the Bieksa of old, who made me want to wear this jersey that I wear, to flatten someone. (Still miss Jovo for the heart and soul that had him drop guys in situations like this)

You can't go back and do it now - I don't think the guys should get lost in this...they need to move forward and focus on playing hockey. I do agree with having to play tough but I feel we're doing so. It's just sad that in trying to stay within the rules, we get eaten alive. The refs/league are doing a piss poor job with that.

I'm afraid that the Bertuzzi incident has left an imprint on the Canucks that will never fade. We simply don't get away with payback and it's a shame that double standards (and blind eyes) are the case and that our guys are still being abused in a game that shouldn't allow for it. But retaliatory = disaster as far as the Canucks go.

I see Lappy in there, standing his ground (always). I see Burr's emotion in wanting to lash out when his friend is taken out. It's tough when the other team has two guys headlocking from behind. And the refs always seem to fly in quickly when WE'RE trying to assert ourselves...unfortunately, their skates don't move that quickly when it's our guys getting rabbit punched, crosschecked in the face after whistles, etc. I blame the pathetic refs mostly. I want Bieksa to do more. I will give Kassian a pass (for now), because it isn't fair not to in considering where he's at. It'll come - but he has played on the edge in the past and suspension are something he's familiar with (I believe). So, again, it's trying to play around that.

We had one punch land in a way that had devastating repercussions. Beyond the legal and other punishment that came with that, it was a black cloud that hovered over the team for a long time. So you have to be careful what you wish for - but the league should have addressed this long ago in a more direct/immediate way. Still foot dragging and inconsistent and THAT makes it impossible to know HOW to work around it.

Eloquently said Deb .. so sad that this great game is being manipulated to appease its American market Masters .. there is really nothing to prevent a player with a "clean" history from ending another players career, and paying the price = 5 games without pay ..

This sets a dangerous precedent .. a precedent I hope comes back to bite the Hawks ..

I find myself getting pissed off whenever a good hit is dished out and another player immediately comes in to fight the guy, stopping the play on the ice. if it was a cheap shot like Keith's elbow, then go after the guy who delivered it. If it was a clean hit, let your player get to the bench if he can still skate and deal with any medical issues with the trainers in the locker room. I want the play to keep going. I've shut games off for the night because of it (not just Canucks games either), and i feel like I'm getting cheated out of my money.

How did the team "not" react? Watching that video it looks like guys were jumping in, even though they had no idea who hit Daniel. That's why they spent the 2nd period chasing Ketih around the ice. They finally clued in and wanted to make Keith pay.

Edler is not a fighter. He's been on this team long enough that you should know that. Still, one thing I've noticed about him is that he jumps in and makes sure the scrums are even. It looks to me like that's what was happening in this clip. But, we're all speculating since nobody knows what was actually said.

I agree the guys need to stick up for each other, but they've been doing a much better job of it this year than in the past. I don't see the need to complain about it.

It almost seems like we haven't had this type of pushback since the Bertuzzi incident. It's "frowned" upon. I for one am sick of it. Get in there and protect your teammates. 5 games?! The only thing this does is hurt Keiths pocketbook. Now he'll be well rested for the playoffs. Should have been 8-9 games.

Most of these posts make me laugh.

We are a tough team not a team of fighters. We are trying to win a SC not go out and get penalized, then scored on, or worse still injured.

How many times do you guys need to hear it? If you want to be Boston you will have to rebuild the team from scratch.

The league is full of useless teams with tough guys. Why because there are not that many Iginla's, Lucic's and Getzlaf's.

With a bit of luck we will have Volpatti back and these cheap hits will stop but until then we need to calm down, play smart and play to our strengths....... The Canuck Way.

I clearly was watching a different game. I watched a Canucks team that, once they realized the severity of the hit on Daniel, came out angry in the 2nd and took 34 minutes in penalties - most of which were of the roughing/slashing nature. This team has played with more passion and grit in the last 5 periods (I'm including the Dallas game) than in the previous 5 games combined.

Archived