Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Edler's Friendly Discussion With Keith!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

#91 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

I totally agree with the OP. Sometimes I wish I could just be on the ice to restore some order. How can a teammate not retaliate after something like that? I would have grabed Keith and beat the living hell out of him!!! It makes me so mad that we didn't destroy this piece of crap..

What would you have done to restore order mr Lennon?, sang imagine or friends.

#92 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

The more I watch the highlights of the hit, the more I'm disgusted by the boys lack of immediate reaction to the cheap shot.

No immediate reaction by any Canuck player is really disheartening. Part of me is willing to give the boys the benefit of the doubt in that maybe none of them saw the hit. Yes there was some targeted push back for a while, but sometimes a team just has to say "WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!" and deal with the situation immediately.

To make matters worse, watching Edler standing there talking to Keith while one of his teammates and best players in the league is down on the ice just makes me froth at the mouth.

This isn't a one time issue either. Remember the rat's low bridge hit on Salo in Boston that again drew no reaction from the Canucks...other than again some friendly talking.

I just can't fathom the lack of reaction...especially when our powerplay has gone down the tubes. What would there be to lose??

Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but I can't think of another solid team with cup aspirations that would be as passive as this after cheap shots to their top players. To me this is a big warning signal that this team isn't as together chemistry wise as we'd like to believe and that something is not right with this team.

Why have we not called up Bitz and Duco again?

Edler's nice discussion (at 20 second mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25I5rtFjiA

Kess & Henrik's pleasant discussion with the rat (at 20 second mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGD5DbljtfE

As a comparable, here's Chris Neils reaction to simply a solid hit tonight on Erik Karlsson from the Habs Mike Blunden (at 1:17 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCG_pj80mdA

God I love Chris Neil!!!

I like Chris Neil alot, wish Canucks traded for him last year when Sens were in the tanker but a legal solid hit like that does not deserve having someone come after you at all.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#93 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

And to the op what would you expect, truly tough teams will fight back when they have too. This turn the other cheek crap just gives them an excuse to be s bunch of p*****s. Can't expect edler to defend someone else when he won't even make eye contact with someone coming after him when he's just done throwing a dirty hit.

#94 Canucksled

Canucksled

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

I miss the days when Gino would of destroyed anyone who did that crap.

Posted Image

If you shoved your fingers in my mouth I'd bite them too!!!!!!

#95 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

I'd rather have Steve Ott but...
Kassian will eventually be that guy ++++

No he won't, nor should he be.

#96 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

It looked like at some point later in the game someone clued in the whole team what happened.there mood towards Keith all of a sudden changed.the pro game moves so fast you wouldn't have seen that play.looks like Edler is following the puck.Ott and Neil should be on this team,and I've been saying that for a long time.

#97 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

And to the op what would you expect, truly tough teams will fight back when they have too. This turn the other cheek crap just gives them an excuse to be s bunch of p*****s. Can't expect edler to defend someone else when he won't even make eye contact with someone coming after him when he's just done throwing a dirty hit.

Fighting back seems like a solution in the short-term but in the end it's the culture of the sport that's the issue here. Maybe it's simple for me to say but there won't be this need for tough guys to "defend" other players (fact of the matter is it's not possible to "defend" someone when they've already been attacked and injured-- it's more the matter of just PROVING that the aggressor will receive "an-eye-for-an-eye" style of treatment as a DETERRENT) if the dirty hitters (and teams/ coaches e.g. *cough* Boston *cough*, *cough* ClaudeJulien *cough*) who are noted repeat offenders on two or more injurious instances, or who have had history of committing head shots, high hits or hits from behind, slew foots, submarine hits, elbows, Marchanding,... etc. are suspended on EACH instance, without pay, for as long as the injured player is out for (with their ejection immediately following the injurious hit), plus they have to cover the injured player's medical bill for the duration of their treatment.

I think something that's adequately heavy would be punishments like:
If the hitter commits more than two (i.e. on their 3rd occasion) of these dirty hits they should be suspended for the rest of the season. When they've made their fourth they should be permanently banned. Coaches who, following a dirty play, send out their goons/ agitators to stage fights also get tossed and fined heavily, and the team should be warned and also fined heavily if it's made known that they're encouraging these kinds of plays (I mean if the NFL could enforce something like this for deliberate head shots on opponents' stars, and football's a far more dangerous sport, I don't see why the NHL shouldn't: http://bleacherrepor...t-will-help-nfl.)

My reason for this is that we're not only talking about an individual's livelihood here but possibly their health over their lifetime. I think these punishments need to be so heavy because it would be motivation for the dirty players to wake up, smell the coffee and clean up their game and forces them to realize that there's absolutely no tolerance for their dirty plays. Also, coaches and management also need to be made to realize that these types of plays will simply not be tolerated but that they will be met with stiff penalties and fines so that they don't offer these dangerous players with such expensive contracts as incentives to basically be weapons on the ice for the team. In the end, these guys end up making these dangerous maneuvers with absolute disregard and neglect of other peoples' health simply to save their own playing time and role on the team.

What's worse is that right now the league hands out these minor, inconsistent punishments (some dirty hits (like the Lucic-Miller hit) get nothing, some get a minor penalty for 2 minutes in the bin and even severe hits like these only get 5 game bans with no future repercussions to deter these guys from being absolute idiots with 200+ pound weapons in the future after their suspensions, when their couple-game bans become merely afterthoughts in their rear view mirror. Fact of the matter is, anger in the moment, great salaries and knowing that they can make these dirty hits without suspension AND that they'll be more valued on the team as "bodyguards" which solidifies their spot and contract on the team gives the Marchands, Lucic's, Carcillo's, etc. more incentive to run around at full speed and basically headhunt their opponents and hit and ragdoll them in many ways.

I'd say it's much better if the league took action as the invigilating force than for a bunch of guys to take out their frustrations on each other and basically pummel each other when it doesn't do justice for their injured teammate, nor does it actually realistically prevent the repeat offenders from doing what they did again. If you think about it, policing doesn't actually work knowing how guys like Marchand and Chara will be defended by the McQuaid's, Boychuk's, Lucic's and Thornton's and how the Bruins actually encourage this kind of play. Furthermore, who will actually get the revenge they believe they deserve for themselves if the aggressor's someone like John Scott of Chara, who'll only fight someone who he can beat or at least wrestle down? Ceremonial fights don't really cut it if the player who did the dirty play (e.g. Marchand) didn't even have to stand up for himself fairly (i.e. not defended by goons). If the league really brought the hammer down on the repeat offender that'll be the best justice for the injured player and team who lost their player.

Sorry for the long post :P

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#98 Comrade

Comrade

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

It doesn't matter who we call up, if we have 2 Sedins and Edler on the ice when an incident happens, they're never going to drop the gloves, period.

Sedins have been playing "their" way ever since they got drafted, but I don't see how hard it is to at least face wash the guy or push him against the boards.

#99 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

i though they did good in second period they really went after the hawks and nobody on hawks team would answer. burrows was throwing punches the hawks looked soft standing there taking it.kane got clocked keith turtled on the ice. i hate seeing guys get jumped for clean hits, the refs barley saw the keith elbow. i was happy with the response hawks had no push back and couldn't beat van on the power play even though they were handed the game by o'horrible.

time to move on use this as motivation to prove they can win with out Daniel this team has been playing with no motivation for a month now this could be a spark to unite the boys. that being said i hope danny isn't out to long.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#100 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

If you think there was no reaction to the hit on keith you quite obviously didnt watch the game. The entire second period, after most players saw the replay in the dressing room, was basically a brawl. But no hawks players were willing to drop the gloves. The canucks hounded the hawks after that hit and im more than satisfied with the way they handled it.
Posted Image

#101 Thunder Bunnies

Thunder Bunnies

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Seeing how nobody went after Keith when he was standing right there probably means noone saw what had happened. Bieksa probably has no clue what was going on as he was mixing it up with other Hawks, knowing Bieksa if he knew Keith elbowed Daniel like that he would've jumped him.

#102 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

At least 2 of his points came while on the ice with the Sedins, so not exactly as a 4th liner. He didn't impress the team enough to risk losing Weiss on waivers in order to open a roster spot.

Weise is useless if you ask me. And yes he did get 2 points with the sedins even still the sedins were struggling during that stretch until bitz came in. Weise got for 4 points over the 74 games he played. If people wont give bitz credit for sedin points he still had 2 points in 5 games which is much better then weise. Again in 8 games bitz accumulated as many points as weise in 74.

It baffles me what you guys expect from a 4th liner.

But thats not even the point, were discussing sticking up for teammates, would you rather have bitz on ice to fight, or dale weise???

Also dale did nothing that night against kieth, i have no doubts bitz would have tried to do more to get someone to fight.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 24 March 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#103 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

This is a ridiculous post. apparently you didn't watch the rest of the game after the hit. As soon as the players were made aware of what happened they definitely stood up for their team mate and were all over Keith.

There is not way in hell that you can complain about the response.
Posted Image

#104 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,116 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

We don't really have some good fighters on this team.

It's time for MG to call up Bitz!

Nobody would go up against this line:

Bitz - Lapierre - Kassian - scary looking.

307mg00.jpg

#105 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

I am extremely aware we are talking about a fourth liner that's why what he did with the Sedins is irrelevant and how many points he put up is irrelevant.

Byron Bitz can actually fight? He didn't answer that during his eight games. He fought Cody McLeod, the worst fighter in the NHL after Dale Weise, and that's it. He had the opportunity to fight guys who are decent fighters like Cam Janssen, Tim Jackman, Brad Staubitz, etc.

Could you say he was a menace on the forecheck in the eight games? Did he intimidate the opposition? Was his presence felt on the fourth line?

I struggle to pinpoint anything to warrant the hype.

Cody mcleod as mentioned by myself is not the best fighter, but hes miles ahead of dale weise.

Hes a 4th liner, is there any hype? I would take him to be our fighter over weise in a second. And as for what he did you keep saying you understand the role of a 4th liner, I would say he was definitely physical and noticed on ice while here, there was alot of talk about him especially for a 4th liner.

We can keep going around in circles but i would take bitz to fight for me over weise without question.

Weise would loose to mcleoad by the way, his fight last night in dallas was one of the worst i have seen in awhile.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 24 March 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#106 bahaazar

bahaazar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

This point was made a month ago that canucks are oblivious to sticking up for one another ... biatches better start answering bells.
To many gawkers on the bench and on the ice...wtf was anyone looking at if they missed the hit??? Lame excuses. The refs arent calling crap -- AV has to start protecting asserts --- not being niave to think the ref will call the game.

In retrospect the team is not one --- coaching is the biggest part of this, people called this that one of the twins would be hurt because of the lack of the team sticking up for them.

THE WORST move to make by coach AV would be to take Kassian off the same line as Henrik ... this should have been done games ago to protect the twins....fking bllshiat that AV does NOTHING to help the star players on this team....fking bllshiat the league still condones headshots...

#107 MacdeesSnipinGs

MacdeesSnipinGs

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Good Post Op... Honestly when other teams see this crap, lets them know that taking liberties with the sedin's will go 'unpunished'. You know what... somethimes it might be worth instead of tackilng him, Just come in with One Huge Suckerpunch right to the face. Take the 5 minute major. Put the ref in a tough decision to maybe make him look bad for only giving keith 2 min to a play where it may recieve a 5 game suspension.

Everyone is mad at the league but if it aint taking care of buisness the way you see fit....Police the game yourself. I think the canucks first priority in the offseason is to get a guy to play with sedins, who will score 20+ goals and police situations to ensure this crap dont happen. OTT, Neil, Hartnell...This is honeslty disgaceful that, keith didnt have to pay on the ice after this happened.

#108 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

i'm not a fan of fights after clean hits but certainly when something like that happens, there has to be some form of retribution on the ice.

i don't mean a dirty revenge hit, but someone had to drop the gloves. if another team is taking liberties and you let that keep going, it's gonna keep happening. taking a 2 min instigator penalty is a lot cheaper than dealing with concussions and people not respecting your team. if i'm a player and i see anything out of the corner of my eye on a teammate that seems like it might not be kosher, i'd rather take the risk of fighting someone who didn't deserve it than the risk of not standing up for a teammate.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#109 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Some of you have been watching too much Coaches Corner. Maybe make your own judgements and use common sense instead of just listening to the media (who's always correct, right?).

1. Chara and the 2 linesmen quickly jumped in to protect Marchand, cornering him so nobody could get to him. All 5 guys could pile in and nobody would lay a finger on him. What would be the point of that? The only thing that would've accomplished was shortening that Major PP.

2. Unlike us, the players do not have a bird's eye view of most of the ice rink while watching the game. Seeing as how the puck wasn't on Daniel's stick at the time, it's clear most of them missed it. Ray Ferraro even called it a High Stick before the first instant replay.

:picard:
Posted Image

#110 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Friendly? How do you know he wasn't beaking him....and he probably didn't even see it and was asking Keith what he did. Your reading way too much into this and the suspension has been handed out. LIVE WITH IT
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#111 ringoyam

ringoyam

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Edler probably thought that it was a high stick, most players don't beat the crap out of another player for giving a high stick. Later on once they found out that the hit was an elbow then they came at keith full force.
Go Canucks Go !!!!!!Posted Image

#112 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

IMO Weise > Bitz, faster, plays hard, doesn't have injury nor stamina problems. He holds his own in fights and can wing Lappiere when a game gets physical. Bitz is more intimidating due to his size, but didn't impress after his time with Sedins.

On the Keith hit, forget challenging him to a fight. Challenging is for when you want to pick a game up or to resolve borderline play. When a player takes a shot like that at your #1 player don't give him the choice, just jump him, no hesitation, no negotiation, just do it.

#113 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

I was pissed at edler too when i saw that but most of the other guys came through eventually, i'd rather have that kind of reaction than no reaction at all... What the hell happened to oreskovich man?!? why isn't he on our fourth line?

Charlotte-McKinney-21-155x160.jpg

#114 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Have you guys noticed in the past couple games when there is a scrum beside the Canucks bench, AV has his hand on kassian holding him back. I have seen this at least twice now, it's almost as if AV is afraid kassian is going to do something stupid. To be honest I would rather have kassian play his game and not be held back like that.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.