The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I Really Didn't Want To See A Van / La Series

Slegr

I know there were strong conspiracy theories about the Bruins / Canucks final in terms of the officiating. Whether they're true or not, they're distracting, and it makes our fanbase look like whiners.

Then we have Los Angeles, where many will remember well the brilliant call by Mike Murphy, former LA King player and coach.

Again, whether or not you subscribe to the theories, a Canucks / Kings series will draw out the speculation and be a distraction. Bottom line, we've got to watch that kicking motion and anything else that puts the decisions into the officials' hands, or the war room in Toronto.

49.2 Goals - Kicking the puck shall be permitted in all zones. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official.

A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal. A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident. The following should clarify deflections following a kicked puck that enters the goal:

(i) A kicked puck that deflects off the body of any player of either team (including the goalkeeper) shall be ruled no goal.

(ii) A kicked puck that deflects off the stick of any player (excluding the goalkeeper’s stick) shall be ruled a good goal.

(iii) A goal will be allowed when an attacking player kicks the puck and the puck deflects off his own stick and then into the net.

A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks any equipment (stick, glove, helmet, etc.) at the puck, including kicking the blade of his own stick, causing the puck to cross the goal line.

"It wasn't a distinct kicking motion"

WTF?

I dunno, I wouldn't worry about reviews too much. How many times does a review like that even happen in the playoffs, once maybe twice? It doesn't happen very often.

The refs on the other hand should make this series interesting. If they call things the way they're supposed to, the King will likely take alot of penalties. If not, the Canucks are going to have to deal with getting cheapshots against them every other shift.

A creative reinterpretation of the rules - as they are not written.

"If he's just making a stop, driving to the net and stopping, and it hits his skate, changes direction, is that now a kicking motion?"

"No, we will often call that a goal... we felt that wasn't the case here, that he knew what he was doing..."

No distinct kicking motion - but "knew what he was doing"

So the standard now becomes not a distinct kicking motion, but whether they could judge if he knew what he was doing.

Weak stuff.

The question becomes, does Mike Murphy know what he is doing - was what he was doing applying the rules consistently?

That review was a joke and lacks any credibility (and a review is nitpicking a play, so complaining about nitpicking about nitpicking a play. is perhaps ironic..) - but the thing that concerns me most about facing the Kings are not reviews - it will be surviving the cheap shots, and to what extent they will be allowed to gutter the series, which is what they will need to do to be successful... The Canucks can take their grit, but remaining healthy is always a concern in a Cup run.

Guest Dasein

Screw it. That's in the past when that rule was pretty ambiguous anyways - it won't be as bad.

Jonathan Quick is the #1 reason I didn't want to face the Kings in the playoffs - he is capable of stealing games away from any team in this league.

Second reason would be because LA plays dirty. I don't want any injuries early on in the playoffs to cost us later on...

I am a man of few threads. But I posted this video and said something similar in the Brian Burke cheered for the Bruins in the general hockey discussion forum. I decided it was not thread worthy.

Murphy has a clear history of screwing the Canucks, without even a leg to stand on, and it is a concern going forward.

However, I think it is important for Canuck fans to not get too bent out of shape this time around and wait and see what happens.

The past is the past.

Archived