The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Thought The Hodgson Trade Was Suppose To Make Us Better For The Playoffs

ccc44

I still think Kassian will be a good player, but he won't do much to help the Canucks this playoffs because he isn't played. For whatever reason, every time MG brings in some sort of potential asset, that player is barely utilized by AV. Are the two on the same page? Cause it doesn't matter who MG brings in if AV doesn't play them.

A lot of pro analysts have repeatedly stated that Kassian is a player that helps the Canucks win now, I find that very hard to do if he's not playing.

Poor kid, because he's tied to Hodgson in this way he'll have a big hill to climb before people start forgetting about Coho.

And people who think Coho would've made the difference, you're forgetting that AV barely used him when he was here, what makes you think AV would've turned to Coho now that they're struggling?

I don't like the trade either because Hodgson was a pretty consistent scorer on our team and Sulzer, even though he wasn't in the lineup much, was decent when he was in the lineup. I'm not saying that Hodgson would have made the difference maker in the series but he most likely would have made a bigger impact than Kassian.

We need our players to score, whether it's 5-on-5 or on the powerplay and I believe that Hodgson could have given them a bigger chance in that area. Kassian has been limited to 5:37 in the first game and 6:00 in the second game. If he turns out to be a great player in the future, that's good for the Canucks but right now, he's young, has no playoff experience, and has not really developed his offence capabilities yet, so he's not making an impact that maybe we all hoped he would make.

When we traded Hodgson, I thought we would have gotten a player who is of equal value or just somebody who have enough experience to make an impact in an area of the game, not in the future, but now - this regular season and this year's playoffs.

Unfortunately, it is what it is right now, whether we like it or not. All we can do is hope that Canucks will be able to turn it around in Game 3 today.

Ya... screw that Kesler and Sedin dude! Who does AV think he is, he is just in love with plugs who can barely win Art Ross and Selke trophies! They most certainly have not earned their icetime as our top two centres.

Hodgson played well several years ago in a TOP junior tournament, if the Canuck's brass couldn't see that is a better indicator of a player's worth than the above mentioned lame-o awards... then they should all be fired and replaced with Craig Mactavish who has taken his teams to repeated Stanley Cup victories.

well, don't jump to conclusions. we won't know if the trade is good for a few years.

The idea seems to have been to get a checking 3rd line... Which everyone knows is way more important than a functional 1st or 2nd line - oops, we'll not talk about that for now.

IF the top 2 lines are going like they did last year - which isn't happening - then the trade makes a lot of sense. The real problem is that the team didn't gel a 2nd line all season, and when DS was out they didn't stick with a player to get chemistry ready for the playoffs. pathetic coaching really... but everyone knows that the playoffs is the best time to figure out your lines and start to get chemistry going, so who am I to second guess AV. But the trade has nothing to do with the problems right now.

but that said, they can overcome the coaching if they are left alone long enough to find chemistry, and if the lines are right. But by the look of the first 2 games, they are NOT. Lapierre was the best down the stretch as a fill-in on the first line. Bieksa and Hamuis are still apart as are Salo and Edler... and Edler is not the same. coaching... ???

The thing about Hodgson is that he was such a clutch player. He would do extremely well under pressure and in narrow situations. The type of shots he put into the net were truly a scorers' goals. Most of the goals by the other Canucks this season were just trashy goals from rebounds and loose pucks, empty nets.

I don't know, I have a feeling that if Cody was still around, he WOULD be the difference maker in the playoffs. Certainly more so than Kassian. Sometimes, clutch players are what make or break a team.

+1

And its not so simplistic as the exaggerated counter opinion that Cody would not have single handedly won the first two games. Of course he couldn't have.

But he would have created a domino effect. Not only might he have made or set up another goal we needed in game one, a more offensively potential third line would have kept Sutter's team more neutered.

We traded our 4th leading scorer, having a breakout year and comfortable with his teammates, for a big shy teddy bear of a rookie who will take years of development to become anything near what they want of him or what they said they were getting out of the deal. I'd not be surprised if he spends next year in the minors.

It may EVENTUALLY work out, although I predict huge things for Hodgson as well, but if you are talking about the NOW, so far its a miserable failure. And with a short window, Gillis may have just p***ed away this years chance.

ummm because they were playing on the PK and he wasn't.... not sure what your point there was aside from Hodgson being less useful to the team than 3rd line wingers.

He also went 16 games with a single assist from the middle of February to the middle of March... and that while playing significant minutes for many of those games and getting a ton of power play time. You can't just take a small window of time and use it to make your argument and entirely ignore the rest of reality.

I loved the lineup with Hodgson in it. It gave us three lines that are a real threat to score every time they are on the ice. No team could match that. I don't know why Gillis would won't to make our team more defensive by replacing him with pahlsson. Our team lost it's identity after the trade. I'm still excited for Kassian though I think he will become a big star. I just would of like to see what the Hodgson version of this team could do in the playoffs

I hope Kassian can develop into a real power forward for the future, and Gragnani can turn into an Erhoff given the chance, but for now, on THIS run, Hodgson certainly would have been more beneficial.

The trade was confusing since the whole plan was to have 3 lines that can score, which we had with Hodgson. Trading him simply made us back into a 2 line deep team with 2 checking lines. And now we can't score...

Trading Hodgson and losing Daniel to injury accounted for 25% of the goals the team had scored. That was 2 of our top 4 goal,scorers. It's no surprise we can't seem to score now... with those two gone/out, our offense is barely middle of the pack.

Archived