The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Questions Ignorant People Ask About God

Not only is the Qur'an a lot less prone to alteration than that of the Bible or Talmud, it is indeed a scholarly fact that the Qur'an remains unchanged. This is also consistent with my notes of the first-year religions class I took - the Qur'an has been preserved. There are very weak stabs at refuting the preservation of the Qur'an with the "Uthman's Quran" arguments but they in all honestly hold no merit.

I know I see different. :D

And thanks man it was a great question. I know I didn't do it justice.

Unchanged doesn't necessarily mean it was right to begin with however. It could actually be a sign of subborness and refusal to admit something is wrong (kinda like Bettmans insistance that all is well in Phoenix).

Not only is the Qur'an a lot less prone to alteration than that of the Bible or Talmud, it is indeed a scholarly fact that the Qur'an remains unchanged. This is also consistent with my notes of the first-year religions class I took - the Qur'an has been preserved. There are very weak stabs at refuting the preservation of the Qur'an with the "Uthman's Quran" arguments but they in all honestly hold no merit.

I know I see different. :D

And thanks man it was a great question. I know I didn't do it justice.

Because religion is based on faith. And faith is by definition an irrational stand. When religion gets into politics, it simply does not have the same effect as when non-religious gets into the political system. Power is given to people by "god" in a religious political system and this type of thinking allows for a loop that society has trouble breaking.

Yes, it was the priests that were suppose to be the people of "God". Clearly god doesn't care that people are corrupt in his name.

Regardless of the state of Christianity of the time, it was still a religion. Look at the middle east right now. it's in a huge mess.

Yeah, it is the biggest influence. Look at the USA. It's stopping stem cell research, people are still arguing over a women's right to choose, and some parents refuse medical care for their children because it's "against their religion". Completely irrational.

and my point is we should not consider anyone to be our enemy in any sense , as scorpio's quote says love your enemies , but if you love some one how can they be your enemy , and is not jesus a source of inspiration to members of your religion .

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a great Youtube series I found the other day. As someone who was never overly religious, even when I believed in God, it was really interesting to have the thought process of someone deeply religious explained to me in a way I could understand. I think the series would also help believers understand why some people stop believing in God. It's quite long, but well worth it in my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?src_vid=mSy1-Q_BEtQ&annotation_id=annotation_622871&p=A0C3C1D163BE880A&feature=iv

• 1 month later...

It also suffers from the same major flaw the Bible has, it is very open to interpretation, if it wasn't there wouldn't be so many different denominations and varied viewpoints regarding it.

Personally it seems to me that many religious people aren't interested in the truth, only in protecting their current beliefs, regardelss of what facts are presented to them, without change there can be no growth, only stagnation.

It also suffers from the same major flaw the Bible has, it is very open to interpretation, if it wasn't there wouldn't be so many different denominations and varied viewpoints regarding it.

Personally it seems to me that many religious people aren't interested in the truth, only in protecting their current beliefs, regardelss of what facts are presented to them, without change there can be no growth, only stagnation.

On the philosophic level, for a starting point, you have to presuppose that your senses and faculties are functioning and showing you an accurate view of reality and a real world around you...and that you aren't insane (Shutter Island) or in a world of someone else's making (Inception) or being completely manipulated (The Matrix).

This isn't a universally held belief: Traditional Buddhists for one don't believe in the real existence of a physical reality. In this one area at least, Buddhists don't depend on a presupposition for their philosophy, while Westerners do.

You also have to presuppose that your intellect and ideas should be used in the world to create and change reality. Again this is not a belief universally held: Eastern practices like Mantras and Trancedental Meditation support the idea that thought should be eliminated to reach a transformation.

Archived