Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Dairy Queen Sedin Soft Serve Ice Cream

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#31 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Haven't seen or heard anyone call Henrik or Daniel soft in a long time. Not sure where you're getting this from.

Though i do agree with you for the most part, saying a player isn't soft because he doesn't get injured isn't really a good argument.
Kesler has been injured a lot but he is the opposite of soft.

I like to think the Sedins are tough players because of their resiliency and mental toughness, always getting back up after a hit and going to the dirty areas to score.
Posted Image

#32 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

too much wacky for you my man. If you are sick of the comments by CDC, don't open the threads. Problem solved. Everyone has a right to say what they will, even if you don't approve.

The Sedins are exactly what they have always been, super stars. What others say about them is not relevant. The Canucks need to provide some support and with bums like Kessler as our secondary scording, well, we aren't going anywhere. A whole year where the team can't score goals and they do nothing about it but bring in a goon. SAD

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#33 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

It's basically due to what happened last year in the Final

Oh cause Thomas punched him in the face and since the NHL is so ill defined that he was worried he'd take a penalty.. Ya, so weak... *head shake, hopes to give more folks a piece of mind....

#34 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

agreed. People saying we should get rid of our 'soft' players. Who will replace them? 3rd/4th liners who just hit with no offensive ability?

Players like the Sedins, Naslund, St. Louis, etc. can take hits and still play. When you get knocked down you get back up. That is what the NHL is all about and your are right the tough players are the ones that get up and don't react to the hits. Sedins have been the best duo since the lock-out. Both have won the Art Ross, and are rarely injured. They compete every night, they fought for their right to play in this league and this team, and most importantly they love this city and community. Donating to the children's hospital $1.5M and still people questions these guys? Best and one of the small collection of classy guys still in this league.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#35 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,909 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

Soft players don't battle along the boards the way the Sedins do. And they win more battles than they lose. Although they don't throw big hits, they do go after the puck. If you really watch them they give a bump to get the defender off balance and steal the puck. It's actually more effective to get possession than throwing the big hit hoping a team mate will retrieve the puck ahead of another defender.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#36 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

I wonder if the diving might have something to do with this reputation.

#37 Wonder__Bread

Wonder__Bread

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

by tough do you mean chara's 52 pts and +33 or the fact that brown scored as many shorthanded goals as the sedins and kessler combined??????
to mention the sedins in the same sentance as Datsyuk and Iginla shows that you are the normal nuck homer that never played hockey and gets your opinions from the ridiculous van media. compare pk mins and watch the 2 way play of real team leaders to the sedins goal sucking pp and offensive zone mins. as long as this is the canucks "heart" i will continue to be embarrassed to be from bc

You're arguing based on your own opinions and emotions, and I'm arguing based on facts. If you don't think the Sedins have put up Datsyuk/Iginla type numbers in the playoffs then you clearly haven't followed this team very long. I compared cup runs between Detroit, Calgary and Vancouver and Henrik Sedin had the same amount of points as Iginla in 1 less game, Datsyuk on the other hand had 23 points in 22 games, which isn't much better then Henrik. But if you look at Datsyuk's playoff success over 50 games, Henrik has better numbers. Stop trolling and making blind accusations without knowing the person who wrote the article, cause I played hockey, and I obviously don't take my opinions from the "ridiculous" Vancouver media, because the so-called "van media" thinks the Sedins are soft which I am arguing against.

Posted Image

#38 Wonder__Bread

Wonder__Bread

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

I wonder if the diving might have something to do with this reputation.

I don't think the Sedins are the biggest divers on this team, maybe they exaggerate the fall a little more but if it was a dive, the refs are usually spot on and call the unsportsmanlike penalty. On top of that half the teams in the league dive more then we do, it's just we're always in the spot light because of our position in the standings.

Posted Image

#39 Wonder__Bread

Wonder__Bread

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

too much wacky for you my man. If you are sick of the comments by CDC, don't open the threads. Problem solved. Everyone has a right to say what they will, even if you don't approve.

The Sedins are exactly what they have always been, super stars. What others say about them is not relevant. The Canucks need to provide some support and with bums like Kessler as our secondary scording, well, we aren't going anywhere. A whole year where the team can't score goals and they do nothing about it but bring in a goon. SAD

I don't even know where to start... I opened this thread to stop the using of the term "soft" to describe the Sedins cause it just makes you look foolish and ignorant. People are open to their opinions, I'm not saying just cause I don't agree with you, don't make a thread, I'm just saying that learn the meaning of words before using them to describe someone.

I don't understand how you can criticize a player when you don't even know how to spell their name. It's Kesler, not "Kessler". Kesler is a great forward for our team. I recall him winning the selke last year, but with one bad season coming off an injury (he still managed to score 49 points) people think he sucks, we need to trade him, etc... He is by far one of our most valuable assets after the Sedins.

Posted Image

#40 Wonder__Bread

Wonder__Bread

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Haven't seen or heard anyone call Henrik or Daniel soft in a long time. Not sure where you're getting this from.

Though i do agree with you for the most part, saying a player isn't soft because he doesn't get injured isn't really a good argument.
Kesler has been injured a lot but he is the opposite of soft.

I like to think the Sedins are tough players because of their resiliency and mental toughness, always getting back up after a hit and going to the dirty areas to score.

Take a stroll through any thread where the name Sedin comes up and I guarantee you one ignorant person will bring it up and no one says otherwise. I agree with out that not being injured isn't the greatest argument, but I just added it in there to prove that no matter how much he takes, he's always back up and ready to help our team win. Resilient would probably be the best word to describe the Sedins.

Posted Image

#41 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

Take a stroll through any thread where the name Sedin comes up and I guarantee you one ignorant person will bring it up and no one says otherwise. I agree with out that not being injured isn't the greatest argument, but I just added it in there to prove that no matter how much he takes, he's always back up and ready to help our team win. Resilient would probably be the best word to describe the Sedins.

Good point. I forget how many games hes gone without missing one. It says alot about a guys character, because to pull off an iron man streak like that isnt an easy feat at all, you know during that time that hes had an injury that would make most players sit out.

Also i would not hesitate to argue with anyone who calls te sedins soft players.
Posted Image

#42 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

To me this is a question of Insanity and Brute Force vs Skill and Intelligence.

I was always taught that NOT flying off the handle and keeping calm and collected in the face of chaos was an ADMIRABLE quality in a person.

Calling out the Twins for being soft is lame as hell.
I even thought they answered the toughness call this season and people would let up.

A good portion of the very best goal scorers in the league have this admirable quality... and yet the piranha fans and the vulture media just love referring to it as a completely negative aspect.

Guess what yo's, being cool and calm is samurai sh** !! ... so if your not down with THAT kinda cool, then buzz off.

Daniel Sedin not punching Marchand out in the finals, was a good comparison in character. Daniel deserved a power play for not flying off the handle. The refs missed this one big time. There are a hundred other players that would have dropped the gloves with that rat face, but only a handful that would think to take a punch in the face for the man advantage.

Call out Euro's for not having grit all that you want, haters. I for one am getting sick of the media trying to convince me that violence and brute force and more admirable qualities than incredible skill and intelligence.

While I'm at it, SCREW the NHL for taking this stance too.
These business clowns (cough*bettman*) don't care about players lives.
The fact that our seasons have taken on a huge serge in career ending hits to our most skilled players is testament to this.

Wish I could +2 ^ this.
to summarize the first half of your post, It's called composure.
and yes, the Sedins have as much of it as anyone else in the league.

That being said, I wish we had a 'role player' or two to pull arms out of sockets when D-Bags go after the twins. (Hansen is willing, but I'm pretty sure if his voice were used to intimidate me, I'd pee myself...laughing)
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

#43 Riggs

Riggs

Hipster Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Anyone who calls the Sedin Clones soft is either a moron, doesn't pay enough attention to Canucks games, or likely both. Both of them take a lot of punishment but keep playing. A soft player would be someone who, after getting hammered in the back with 5 crosschecks on their first shift, refuses to go back into the corner on their next one. Both Sedins never hesitate to get back to the same areas and usually end up scoring a goal because of their work.

I was really angry seeing zero pushback from their teammates after the mutant Chara, hunchback Lu-bitch, and demented midget Marchand physically abused the Sedins in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. In this year's playoffs, H. Sedin got flattened by a cheap hit when he was in a vulnerable position all Brown got was a facewash from Bieksa.

Maybe it's time the Sedins took this longer than usual off-season to bulk up to about 230 pounds each.

Speed isn't their game anyway so that won't take away from their style. They'll be even harder to knock off the puck in the corners which would make them more effective using the cycle game. Plus, they will gain a lot of extra strength and confidence to punch back if someone gets in their face. It would be like having twin Jagrs on the ice at the same time who can stand up for themselves instead waiting around for someone else to do it. Then I'd like to see idiots call them soft.

Wishful thinking on my part but it helped me get through the 2011 off-season imaging D. Sedin smiling after caving in Marchand's rat face with a single punch.

Edited by Riggs, 12 May 2012 - 11:16 PM.

Zack Kassian is the Chosen One. Minor League Willie should stop playing favourites.Posted Image
"I cocked that joint back and banged on 'em." - Daniel Sedin describing his slapshot goals

#44 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,381 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEh53OWz0jU

This is the exact moment where I thought to myself, "yep, the Bruins are winning this series". The fact that no penalty was called on that garbage by that ratfaced punk was pretty much the nail in the coffin. Those darling Bruins could do no wrong.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH that still pisses me off so friggin bad. I want Marchand injured badly next year.

FearandLoathingSig.jpg

Total control now. Tooling along the main drag on a Saturday night in Vegas. Two good old boys in a fire-apple red convertible. Stoned. Ripped. Twisted. Good people. 

#45 Riggs

Riggs

Hipster Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

This is the exact moment where I thought to myself, "yep, the Bruins are winning this series". The fact that no penalty was called on that garbage by that ratfaced punk was pretty much the nail in the coffin. Those darling Bruins could do no wrong.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH that still pisses me off so friggin bad. I want Marchand injured badly next year.

I like this video much better:

He was basically in tears at the bench after. Priceless.

Edited by Riggs, 13 May 2012 - 01:24 AM.

Zack Kassian is the Chosen One. Minor League Willie should stop playing favourites.Posted Image
"I cocked that joint back and banged on 'em." - Daniel Sedin describing his slapshot goals

#46 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:41 AM

There are many misconceptions on this Canucks forum, mainly towards our captain Henrik Sedin, and his brother Daniel. Please learn the definitions of the words tough and soft before blindly using them to describe two of our best forwards. The word soft is generally used towards our captain, Henrik Sedin. Frankly I'm tired of the ignorance seen in the discussions lately. Henrik Sedin, I believe is currently on the 2nd highest iron man streak and yet most of our Canucks Community is alright with the use of the term soft to describe him. Yes, you could argue because he does not play a gritty game that he is soft, but he is a playmaker/scorer, we pay him to create/score goals, not to hit.

Just because a player doesn't skate around hitting everyone near them like a goon, doesn't mean that player isn't tough, I'd like to think it's the players who constantly get hit and continue to put up points and/or go to the net that are tough. It'd be great to stop this huge misconception seen around the league that the Sedins are soft, starting with our own fans. That's my opinion on the subject, I think of the Sedins more of a Dairy Queen ice cream cake. What's your opinion on the subject?

P.S.
Sorry for all the ice cream references, the weather in Vancouver is heating up and I think my brain is trying to tell me something.

Do my eyes deceive me ?? There are fans who cans see the light ! The Twins take a beating night after night ! Hacks, slashes, crosschecks, elbows you name it . They are anything but soft ! They are the best puck cyclers in the game along the boards and have re-invented breaking into the offensive zone on the PP to the point where every team in the league watches film of us on the man advantage. Soft you say ? I have lost my mind on retard fans calling these Art Ross sharing brothers weak or not tough enough . In reality the fans or haters that classify the Twins as soft have no concept of the game and how it is played. There are multiple styles and personalities on every team that have their roles to play and the Sedins are among the best in the show :)

NUCKS 4 LIFE !!!

No1813_comets2_rr.jpgDec2814_jake_rr.jpg

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has"  -Margaret Mead-

#47 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

The Sedin's aren't soft, but they don't have a playoff gear. They can't do anything against those good, solid defensively teams.

But they aren't alone, Kesler has only shown up for one series in his playoff career, and our team as a whole seems incapable of lifting the puck to beat a goalie who hugs the ice.

#48 VintageForever420

VintageForever420

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

There are many misconceptions on this Canucks forum, mainly towards our captain Henrik Sedin, and his brother Daniel. Please learn the definitions of the words tough and soft before blindly using them to describe two of our best forwards. The word soft is generally used towards our captain, Henrik Sedin. Frankly I'm tired of the ignorance seen in the discussions lately. Henrik Sedin, I believe is currently on the 2nd highest iron man streak and yet most of our Canucks Community is alright with the use of the term soft to describe him. Yes, you could argue because he does not play a gritty game that he is soft, but he is a playmaker/scorer, we pay him to create/score goals, not to hit.

Just because a player doesn't skate around hitting everyone near them like a goon, doesn't mean that player isn't tough, I'd like to think it's the players who constantly get hit and continue to put up points and/or go to the net that are tough. It'd be great to stop this huge misconception seen around the league that the Sedins are soft, starting with our own fans. That's my opinion on the subject, I think of the Sedins more of a Dairy Queen ice cream cake. What's your opinion on the subject?

P.S.
Sorry for all the ice cream references, the weather in Vancouver is heating up and I think my brain is trying to tell me something.

Well said sir.

#49 Wonder__Bread

Wonder__Bread

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

The Sedin's aren't soft, but they don't have a playoff gear. They can't do anything against those good, solid defensively teams.

But they aren't alone, Kesler has only shown up for one series in his playoff career, and our team as a whole seems incapable of lifting the puck to beat a goalie who hugs the ice.

Do people not take the time to read through a thread? I just posted stats earlier that proves that statement wrong. Sedins are PPG players in the playoffs. They have similar stats to Iginla and Datsyuk, oh I guess Datsyuk and Iginla don'T have a playoff gear as well...

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.