The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] - Jason Garrison : Canucks High On His List If Panthers Don't Resign Him

Garrison is a shutdown defenseman - he's the very defn of one.

For the last 2 yrs (his only 2 yrs in the league), he has faced the toughest completion (relative to his d-man teammates). In that role, he's been on the ice for the lowest amount of goals against each yr (relative to his TOI). In fact, league wide his goals against rel to TOI was 15th best in league. Keep in mind that he faced tougher competition that a lot of the guys who had better #'s. This yr he also had the best corsi on his team (yes, better than Campbell), meaning he's the best at preventing 'chances against' and able to move the puck up ice to create 'chances for' - that's what I refer to as a puck moving defenseman

Comparatively to Hamhuis: Garrison had a better defensive season. As a team, Florida gave up 29 more goals against than Van. Yet, Garrison was only on the ice for 41 goals against (Hamhuis 51). Relative to TOI, his numbers are even better - while Garrison faced a tougher competition than Hammer (in Van, Ham-Juice pairing split tough competitions with Edler paring).

He is a defense first player (AVs dream man), but his team also gets a lot of goals with him on the ice (not just cause he scored 16 goals). He's the real deal IMO.

Why does an offensive defensmen always be determined that he will be defensive liabilities... the best defensmen can do both, and what really makes you offensive is just to have the ability to

a: join the rush

B: makes passes out of your zone,

c: make plays at the offensive bluelines via passes or shots.

Doing those things do not affect the players affectiveness in his own zone.

The only risk to an offensive defensmen is when they make a play at the blueline that there is a chance that it causes an odd-man rush the other way.

I guess what I'm getting at, just because Garrison is responsible defensively in terms of his own end doesn't take away his assets on the other side of the ice.

Ballard put up big points in Florida too. Dude struggles to get 10 with us.

Ballard is actually good defensively, but when he makes a mistake it's a glaring one.

Hopefully AV loosens up with this stuff now that he realizes being the best in the regular season isn't the same in the playoffs.

Fine, all of our defensemen are puck-movers, who cares that none of them can quarterback a power play or skate the puck out of the corner. Nope, no puck movers needed here, we've got enough!

2012:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Jackman - Tanev

Alberts

(salo + ballard out)

2013:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Weber

Jackman Tanev

Connauton

I may have the BCBoner going, but I seriously see that as a solid top-6 we can roll 22, 22, 16 all year long.

Ballard put up big points in Florida too. Dude struggles to get 10 with us.

Ballard is actually good defensively, but when he makes a mistake it's a glaring one.

Hopefully AV loosens up with this stuff now that he realizes being the best in the regular season isn't the same in the playoffs.

1. When you go from being paired in the top 4 with power play time, to a 6th/7th defenseman who is a healthy scratch half the time with zero power play time what do you expect?

2. This is why people shouldn't count out Gragnani. I can see him on the 1st powerplay with Edler. Hopefully AV doesn't give him the Ballard treatment, we might have a B+ version of Erik Karlsson on our hands.

Dobber's take on Garrison. Not good.

I wouldn’t sign Jason Garrison in a million years. He doesn’t impress me. Strikes me as a depth player who got lucky with five or six goals early on… which led to some premium ice time, which led to five or six more goals… and then he stopped. No matter how much ice time he got, the offense stopped. Thirteen goals in 46 games… and then three in 31. I say “wouldn’t sign” but I of course mean “at his asking price”. If he scores 16 goals as a defenseman, he’s probably looking for $4 million Ron Hainsey money. Hainsey was a depth guy who saw too much ice time and managed 35 point seasons. He cashed that in for $5 million per… and is worth $2 million. So I’m saying I wouldn’t give Garrison $2 million – so that means I wouldn’t sign him.

Dobber's take on Garrison. Not good.

I kindof agree that this guy just came outta nowhere. Would he have 'broken out' if not for Campbell, Jovo, and the SE division?

We've seen guys like this before recently. Anton Babchuk? Keith Ballard? Put them in a different division and watch their numbers DIVE. Cheers.

TOML

At this stage of Garrison's development I think he would be the best option for the Canucks this offseason unless of course Suter decides he want's on board.

Of all the names that have been tossed around Schenn, Franson, Allen, Jackman, Stuart and others. Garrison will give us THE most immediate impact to our line-up for next season. If he can be had for a reasonable cap friendly contract then I say do it.

At 27 he is in his prime years and has an absolute cannon( ala Sami Salo ) but 10 yrs younger. I admit I have not seen a large body of work from Garrison but he is able to log big minutes, has ideal size 6'2 220, can quarterback a PP, and is sound defensively. He also is a BC boy (our favorites of course)

The way I see it is if we can get a stud d man without giving up assets, concentrate on a return for Luongo being another PF and keep the possibility of Weber slotting into the RD spot 2013 season we would be best off.

Archived