The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] - Jason Garrison : Canucks High On His List If Panthers Don't Resign Him

You guys are sure chinsy. 3.5 mill? He scored 16 goals. That's what we need. Not edlers who put up 3-4 goals a year. A guy who can find the back of the net from the point. This year one of my biggest beefs with our team was dmen not getting shots thru. Maybe a coaching error but this guy seems to have a knack for it. Sedins should be able to create enough pp room for our dmen to get shots thru. Give this guy 4 mill plus for 5 years hes entering his prime. We do need to get rid of some dmen tho.

I think he played the right side strictly on the PP, I don't think he ever took a regular shift at LD at ES.

I think Garrison is a high-risk signing. His shooting percentage last year was almost double his previous career average. I don't think that's sustainable.

It's only high risk if you're expecting him to pot 15 goals again. I view him as more of a jack of all trades. Eats minutes, can play on the PP and PK. A guy that can eat minutes, and is reliable defensively. A perfect depth guy (3rd pairing) that can log top 4 minutes in the eventual case it happens.

Let's not forget Ballard put up similar points to Garrison playing for Florida.

The southeast division is easier to score in, just look at Jay Bouwmeester.

Do we really want another bad contract like Ballard's that everyone complains about?

I understand everyones concern about Garrison's stats going down but i dont see by much they may even go up, when you can hammer a puck hard like that and having the Sedins putting it on the tape. I think its a good risk and hopefully make a solid pairing with Edler but most likely Ballard would have to be moved to fit him in.

sorry.. not a fan of Garrison here. not after all the fail experiment with players from Florida do i want another Florida player on the team.. let see Jokinen, Bouwmester, Booth, Ballard, etc etc etc the list goes on and on... they were decent/good players in Florida.. the moment they left.. what have they done?

Great shot, size, and believe it or not is relied upon more for penalty killing than on the power play. He would be a great replacement for Salo if Salo retires. Even though he has a left handed shot he plays the right side.

Lets see, if we trade Luongo for Purcell and dump Raymond for picks...

Goaltending - 1.5 million saved (we have to re-sign Schneider)

Purcell/Raymond cancel each other out

Defense - Rome and Salo gone, 2.8 million saved.

Total saved 4.3 million (round to 4 million).

Offer Garrison 4 year, 4 million per year?

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Purcell

Higgins Malhotra Hansen

______ Lapierre Kassian

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Tanev Ballard

Schneider

Lack

Extras: Gragnani, Alberts

Not really much improvement, but Garrison is a good replacement for Salo.

Unless we're gettting Suter, Garrison is exactly what we need: a defensive defenseman who moves the puck well and can contribute on the power play in exactly the way that we need (getting shots through to the net). He is going to want to get paid though. He's 28? This is going to be his big contract so he's going to want it big, in term and money. Hopefully he is willing to take a hometown discount.

Archived