The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] - Jason Garrison : Canucks High On His List If Panthers Don't Resign Him

If MG signs this guy both Salo and Ballard have to go. Is apparently comfortable playing right side, but I've heard that before. No way would he come here to play bottom 2 minutes. It would, however, open up some interesting possibilities in a year's time when Edler's contract is up and Weber becomes a UFA.

Team needs a big shot from the point in the worst way.

Get Schultz too and go heavy on BC defense. More likely to spill their guts for the home team.

Best case scenerio:

- Salo rides off into the sunset happy.

- Ballard gets packaged with Raymond for anything.

That clears up 8m+ cap space, enough to even make a decent offer to Suter :bigblush: jk

- Sign Garrison to a 4 year contract

- Sign J.Schultz

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Schultz - Tanev

Comparing Garrison to Ballard is not a good reference.

IMO Ballard was never worth $4.2M. Before coming to Van, his underlying numbers were extremely inconsistent from yr to yr - an indicator you never know what you're gonna get. He was never good with puck possession - he struggled mightily. Van is a puck possession team, guys who struggle with that skill stick out like a sore thumb (hence Ballard and Edlers issues this yr).

Garrison only has 2 full seasons in the NHL, but his underlying numbers have improved significantly every yr (similar to Tanev). He's the best puck possession d-man on their team (on a team 18th in the league w/ puck possession). He drives play, and plays against toughest completion - he does not play sheltered mins (a la Ballard). His biggest asset is his versatility - the only current 'somewhat versatile' Canuck is Rome. Garrison can do it all: PP, PK, play a shut down role or offensive flair role. He can move up and down the lineup at any time. He's a very valuable asset. I don't think he's gonna score 16 goals again, but he's probably a 30+ pt d-man on a Vancouver team for sure. I'd rather see Gillis take a gamble on a versatile guy like Garrison than a one trick pony.

Comparing Garrison to Ballard is not a good reference.

IMO Ballard was never worth $4.2M. Before coming to Van, his underlying numbers were extremely inconsistent from yr to yr - an indicator you never know what you're gonna get. He was never good with puck possession - he struggled mightily. Van is a puck possession team, guys who struggle with that skill stick out like a sore thumb (hence Ballard and Edlers issues this yr).

Garrison only has 2 full seasons in the NHL, but his underlying numbers have improved significantly every yr (similar to Tanev). He's the best puck possession d-man on their team (on a team 18th in the league w/ puck possession). He drives play, and plays against toughest completion - he does not play sheltered mins (a la Ballard). His biggest asset is his versatility - the only current 'somewhat versatile' Canuck is Rome. Garrison can do it all: PP, PK, play a shut down role or offensive flair role. He can move up and down the lineup at any time. He's a very valuable asset. I don't think he's gonna score 16 goals again, but he's probably a 30+ pt d-man on a Vancouver team for sure. I'd rather see Gillis take a gamble on a versatile guy like Garrison than a one trick pony.

Archived