The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TSN-Insider Trading] Luongo Update

I wouldn't mind having Campbell. Our power play will be top 2 again, and the Sedins will probably hit around 90 points if Campbell joinned the team. Ever since Ehrhoff left, our scoring has gone down. Wouldn't mind having Brian Campbell around.

I don't know how accurate those rumors are. Florida being interested in Luongo, changes a lot of things. There are at least 4 players I wouldn't mind having from the Panthers. Vs the Leafs, there's no one I really want. Gudbranson would be awesome, Kulikov, one of the best dmans from his draft, is kinda like Ekman Larrson, Huberdeu is like a Super offensive verion of Alex Burrows, really interesting. That being said since Samjam is 100% certain Luongo is going to Toronto, there's really no point talking about Trade with Florida.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...rce=twitterfeed

Other interesting tidbits:

Gotta love the every changing marketplace. 3 weeks ago Dreger reported Florida has zero interest in Lu, now LeBrun thinks they are 'very interested'. I think the closer we get to July 1st, the more teams that will be interested - especially if there is this 'belief' that he'll retire in 5 or so yrs.

Given what was reported at trade deadline, Gillis is likely still interested in Gudbranson. Other than his size/strength, he's not appealing at all - esp his $3.2M contract. He played extremely sheltered mins in his 1st yr and did very poorly with them. I'd wayyyyy rather have Garrison - by a country mile. I know they have a ton of great prospects, who else is interesting?

The Leafs really can't afford to ship out 2 forwards on the roster for a goalie, they already have massive holes up front. Including schenn and raymond makes the deal plausible. If they don't like raymond and who could blame them, I don't see us getting a roster forward in the deal. Which is fine, i'd rather colborne anyways.

Colborne and Kassian on the same line in a couple years possibly creating space for Jensen, jesus christ..

Gudbranson has much much greater upside. Garrison had a great start to the year, and basically stopped producing for half of the season. He played A LOT of minutes especially in the offensive zone, but his production rate and his other numbers that measure his possession game is atrocious. Gudbranson is a special type of player who can be a punishing force that keeps the opposition's head on a swivel. His offensive game is greatly improving as well. Let someone overpay for Garrison's fluke year. I'll take the 3rd overall pick thank you.

Garrison played against the 2nd toughest competition this yr (1st last yr) and his o-zone starts were only 54% (Edler was 58%). The possession measure is corsi, and his corsi #'s were the best on his team for defenseman (yes, better than Campbell). His possession numbers were significantly better than Edlers - and take into consideration as a team Florida was 18th in the league, Canucks were 8th in possession. So his corsi stands out. What also stands out is despite playing against significantly tougher competition than Edler (anything above 1 is significant), Garrison was still on the ice for the least goals against per TOI (Edler was the exact opposite on Nucks team). What does this tell us? It tells us Garrison is a better puck possession d-man than Edler this yr (and played on a horrific team). He was also the best defensive- defenseman on their team, Edler was not even close.

Garrison is Ehrhoff_v2. He won't put up the points Ehrhoff did, but he won't have the defensive lapses that Ehrhoff was prone to. He'll drive play up ice and keep the puck out of his own net - something that Edlers struggles with. It's tough to tell about Gudbranson cause he's a rookie. But his 1st yr underlying numbers were highly sheltered and atrocious under that protection. So it's anyones guess what year 2 will look like.

I've been saying Bozak + Kulemin for the last god damn 2 weeks!!! Glad someone is finally seeing the same light.

Part of me doesn't see Raymond as being a BB style of player, nor Caryle. I doubt they would want to qualify him at the 2+million he would make.

Lou for Kulemin and Bozak would be a good deal if BB and co have gripes about Lou's contract. TOR saves face and we get back two good players.

Spector had something to say this morning, Although, I believe Jose Theodore Has a no trade and it looks like Tallon is resigning Clemmenson

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-trade-and-free-agent-rumors-june-7-2012/

TSN RADIO: Pierre LeBrun yesterday told TSN Radio 105o the Florida Panthers were very interested in bringing back goaltender Roberto Luongo.

THE GLOBE AND MAIL: James Mirtle mused over the possibility Canucks goalie Cory Schneider could receive an offer sheet.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: If the Panthers are indeed interested in Luongo, it could mean they’ll shop Jose Theodore, who still has a year remaining on his contract, and could cast the long-term future of promising Jacob Markstrom into question. No word out of the Miami media regarding the Panthers supposed interest in Luongo, but LeBrun is among the few respectable and reliable insiders, so I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss his report. As for Schneider, it’s possible he could get an offer sheet, but unlikely, especially if the Canucks can move Luongo before the end of June. I have more on the possibility of offer sheets this summer on THN.com.

SUN-SENTINEL.COM: Harvey Fialkov reports Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon has sent contract offers to RFA forward Kris Versteeg and UFA goalie Scott Clemmensen, and is close to making offers to UFA blueliner Jason Garrison and UFA forward Mikael Samuelsson. Fialkov reports the offer for Clemmensen confirms the Panthers intend to keep Markstrom in the AHL for one more season.

Theodore does have a ntc, but he also only has a year left on his contract, at $1.5 million. That Clemenson offer is interesting - Markstrom is only 22 after all - Luongo would not mean that his future is in question - it would mean that he is realistically at least a few years from being ready to be a starter.

I like what the Panthers have to work with in terms of young assets.They have enough to get it done while not necessarily having to give up their bluechips like Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Kulikov. Aside from those guys, they still have as much or more young assets than Toronto...

Big centers Bjugstad or Matthias

Big young blueliner prospect Alex Petrovic - right handed, big, physical, big shot .

Upshall (if he waives his ntc) or Bergenheim

Rights to Garrison

Spector had something to say this morning, Although, I believe Jose Theodore Has a no trade and it looks like Tallon is resigning Clemmenson

http://spectorshocke...rs-june-7-2012/

TSN RADIO: Pierre LeBrun yesterday told TSN Radio 105o the Florida Panthers were very interested in bringing back goaltender Roberto Luongo.

THE GLOBE AND MAIL: James Mirtle mused over the possibility Canucks goalie Cory Schneider could receive an offer sheet.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: If the Panthers are indeed interested in Luongo, it could mean they’ll shop Jose Theodore, who still has a year remaining on his contract, and could cast the long-term future of promising Jacob Markstrom into question. No word out of the Miami media regarding the Panthers supposed interest in Luongo, but LeBrun is among the few respectable and reliable insiders, so I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss his report. As for Schneider, it’s possible he could get an offer sheet, but unlikely, especially if the Canucks can move Luongo before the end of June. I have more on the possibility of offer sheets this summer on THN.com.

SUN-SENTINEL.COM: Harvey Fialkov reports Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon has sent contract offers to RFA forward Kris Versteeg and UFA goalie Scott Clemmensen, and is close to making offers to UFA blueliner Jason Garrison and UFA forward Mikael Samuelsson. Fialkov reports the offer for Clemmensen confirms the Panthers intend to keep Markstrom in the AHL for one more season.

http://spectorshocke...rs-june-7-2012/

Talon is a wise GM. If he acquires Luongo, there is no better timing to get a good return for Theodore than the present (and Theodore's ntc with one year at 1.5 does not carry a great deal of leverage) - he could come back this way, (although I like Lack and would prefer other assets as opposed to Theodore - but if Talon makes it worthwhile to take Theodore...) - in either event, his low cap hit and credentials make him an attractive guy on a very lean veteran goaltender market.

Theodore would just be the "throw in" to make it a package deal. Just as an example (I have no idea what Gillis actually wants in return): Howden/Matthias (one of these guys is going to move to make room for Huberdeau), Theodore & a 2nd/1st (depending on which FWD comes this way) round pick.

Theodore would be a good guy to have - and ony a year commitment at a very acceptable 1.5 million -

Bjugstad/Matthias

Theodore/Upshall/Bergenheim

Petrovic/Ellerby

The more ways you slice it, it looks a lot easier to deal with Florida than Toronto...

My insider trade happenings:

A combination of Some Player(s) and/or Some Pick(s) to Some Team in return for a combination of Some Pick(s) and/or Some Player(s) - Remember when this happens that I broke the story first!

My insider trade happenings:

A combination of Some Player(s) and/or Some Pick(s) to Some Team in return for a combination of Some Pick(s) and/or Some Player(s) - Remember when this happens that I broke the story first!

Archived