The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are wondering. Mallet played on the 4th line with very limited ice time. He got into 1 fight which was over quickly and had maybe 1-2 shifts the rest of the game. Seems like Green has the same recipe for his fourth line as Torts... or maybe it's because they're playing the 1st place Heat.

1 shift last night.

Really not liking the choice of Green for the Comets. He seems to, as you said play guys like Torts and that is not in the AHL a recipe for solid development.

They need equal or comparable time and 2-3 shifts is doing squat for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato 5m

When Alexandre Mallet moves his feet and gets involved physically, like tonight, he can dominate a game. Needs to be more consistent.

Positive words from someone who follows Canucks prospects very closely.

I'm still hoping he can be a solid 2nd round pick for us. Even if he only ever becomes a really good 4th line energy guy that can scrap, it's worth it.

Really not liking the choice of Green for the Comets. He seems to, as you said play guys like Torts and that is not in the AHL a recipe for solid development.

They need equal or comparable time and 2-3 shifts is doing squat for them.

I doubt Green has a free reign on how the team is brought along. I agree that these kids do need ice

time. Very concerned about the ice that Torts was giving the 3rd & 4th lines but he has changed that

over the past few games. I assumed that Green was trying to establish a better environment since they

were struggling to get wins. When that happens you usually play your best players to start winning and

then start bringing the less experienced players back into the mix.

Mallet has been getting much more ice time of late and has looked good. Plays with a lot of energy. I think he has looked better than Grenier the past couple of games who appears to be floating too much lately. Both of these guys are grinders and need to play with energy and use their size to their advantage.

Now the pick is starting to look a bit bad retroactively. He was sold as an almost "NHL-ready" type player. It now seems like he'll need at least another couple of seasons before he'll be ready for the NHL. Using a 2nd rounder now seems high considering that a lower pick could have been used instead.

Still happy with the pick, just not happy with the draft position used.

Now the pick is starting to look a bit bad retroactively. He was sold as an almost "NHL-ready" type player. It now seems like he'll need at least another couple of seasons before he'll be ready for the NHL. Using a 2nd rounder now seems high considering that a lower pick could have been used instead.

check that; he was billed to have "NHL ready size". he was filled out pretty well by his overage season. as the poster above said, our next pick was the 5th round that year, and gillis claims to know he would have been selected by then. mallet was the guy they wanted. i like mallet as a player and i'm pulling for him big time; but i think it was damon severson that was available at the time.. he woulda looked nice on our defensive depth chart.

Its was a bad decision when it was made, and has only gotten worse. I was pulling for Severson at that pick, now look at them

check that; he was billed to have "NHL ready size". he was filled out pretty well by his overage season. as the poster above said, our next pick was the 5th round that year, and gillis claims to know he would have been selected by then. mallet was the guy they wanted. i like mallet as a player and i'm pulling for him big time; but i think it was damon severson that was available at the time.. he woulda looked nice on our defensive depth chart.

If the only reason Gillis selected Mallet in the second round was because he thought he'd be gone by the fifth, well, I'm not buying it. I think they must have thought Mallet was the bpa; better than Boo Nieves, better than Damon Severson, better than Devin Shore, Juhjar Khaira, Jimmy Vesey. Better than some pretty highly touted prospects. Otherwise he would have traded down for additional picks, especially since he retained so few picks for that draft. He obviously thought he was a legit late second/early third round pick and thought other teams were of a similar opinion with regard to Mallet's value.

I agree that there were better prospects available, but I think this was a flyer on a guy who might be ready to help sooner rather than later. Ended up not being that way, and there are some pretty darn good prospects that we could have taken at their, but I still have hope in Mallet, he's got some tools that could make him a bottom 6 guy someday, but I think he is on the Hansen Track. Little later development.

Right now he's shaping up to be a gritty 4th line guy, which isn't bad, but not worth a 2nd round pick at all. I'll give him another year at least though - he's a year younger than Grenier and nobody expected Grenier to play as well as he has this season. He's also two years younger than Archibald and it took Archie until he was 22 to really learn how to play at the AHL level.

Archived