The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

I'd be glad if he is Sestito 2.0 somehow.

He would have to grow another 4" and gain another 35 lbs. to be in the same fighting class as Sestito. But if you mean that you'd be glad if Mallet is capable of taking multiple punches to the face, then yah, maybe he has a shot.

Can you say East Coast Hockey League?

The thing is that guys like Horvat and Jensen won't be directly compete with Mallet as their potential roles are completely different. Not saying I wouldn't take Mallet if he suddenly turns into an offensive dynamo, but I believe most people are just hoping he pans out as a 4th line guy who can spot 3rd line duties and a regular PK guy.

He was drafted as a centre but listed in the ECHL has a LW... so he has versatility. Always handy to have an extra player who can take faceoffs back in the defensive zone. He's 6'2 and about 200lbs, so he has both size and speed. Mallet doesn't shy away from physical play either.

Mallet-Richardson-Sestito wouldn't be too bad of a 4th line.

If Mallet can do this in the AHL, it would be considered a success. Mallet will make the Canucks if the 24-26 forwards ahead of him on the depth chart fall ill or injured. Hell, even the kid on the AHL contract (Kennedy) probably has a better shot at making the NHL one day. This Mallet kid is not Alex Burrows.

Say hello to the 'zoo, Mallet. Or the CHL. Or the...what' the name of the other bottom tier pro league again?

Man, people are sure hard on Mallet. Yes, it was a terrible decision to use a second round pick on him. He doesn't need to light up the minors to eventually become an effective fourth liner in the NHL however, and still has time to improve. He wasn't given much of a chance last year, only averaging 5 minutes a game with no time on the penalty kill or powerplay.

Anyways, not all prospects pan out.

Man, people are sure hard on Mallet. Yes, it was a terrible decision to use a second round pick on him. He doesn't need to light up the minors to eventually become an effective fourth liner in the NHL however, and still has time to improve. He wasn't given much of a chance last year, only averaging 5 minutes a game with no time on the penalty kill or powerplay.

Anyways, not all prospects pan out.

Wouldn't you agree that in pro hockey ice time is earned? Mallet averaging 5 minutes per game is more of a commentary on his lack of abilities/development as a professional hockey player. It may do him well to spend a full season with the Wings so that he can earn his ice time play there and in doing so, gain experience and confidence so that he can make the step up to the AHL.

Stranger things have happened, so Mallet making the NHL as a fourth liner is always a possibility. Not likely, but a possibility, nonetheless. IMO, at best, he's another Steve Anthony (i.e., a QMJHL player with a couple of good junior seasons that amounted to a whole lot of nothing, regardless of injuries).

This guy plays big. Would love to see him on the 4th line someday

The Canucks need big players who play big and fast. The roster is full of 6'0" to 6'1" forwards weighing 185 lbs. to 195 lbs. We need guys built like Horvat and Gaunce who have skill and quickness (though quickness is one attribute that Gaunce needs to work on to make it in the NHL).

IMO, Mallet's days are numbered. He'll go the way of Prab Rai.

The Canucks need big players who play big and fast. The roster is full of 6'0" to 6'1" forwards weighing 185 lbs. to 195 lbs. We need guys built like Horvat and Gaunce who have skill and quickness (though quickness is one attribute that Gaunce needs to work on to make it in the NHL).

IMO, Mallet's days are numbered. He'll go the way of Prab Rai.

Rai retired after 31 pro games in the ECHL (7 points). He was not able to recover fully after a car accident.

Mallet has already 121 pro games under his belt, and was able to put up respectable numbers as a rookie in the ECHL (29 points in 44 games).

He may never make the NHL, but he is good enough to put together a minor league career likely jumping between the ECHL and AHL or playing in a lower level European league (France?)

I hate that we passed on Severson, considering at the time he would have been a solid pick (based on ranking) and he is from BC to boot. Not to mention he is great offensively and has a 6'2 frame to boot.

Dane Fox was supposed to go 46th, so we ended-up with the forward we should have picked in that spot anyway. Kind of makes up for drafting Mallet.

He's a good 4th liner( energy guy) and could hold his own in a fight, idk why he's buried and doesn't get a opportunity with Utica.

Where? In the ECHL? He might have a shot in the professional beer league in Quebec (LNAH). Because it sure isn't in the NHL.

When I think of Mallet, I think off Antoine Roussel. A guy management gave up on and now he is one of the better agitators in the NHL and he puts up points. I think Mallet has similar potential to a guy like him and could become a very efficient role player. You shouldn't give up on guys like this too early. Don't want the same mistake to happen again. Boy can he throw his fists around as well. He is still very young and has many years ahead of him to make it to the NHL. I still have faith in him.

Was it smart to draft him in the 2nd round? well that is a different discussion but you can't deny that there is something very interesting still left there.

I'd like to see him go back down to Kalamazoo this year. He put up decent numbers there when he was there two years ago but he struggled at the AHL level. We might as well put him in a position to succeed, last year was a wasted year for him.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the ECHL for most of the year either. if he's to earn another contract though, he'd probably need to get back to the A by the end of the year and produce when he's there.

When I think of Mallet, I think off Antoine Roussel. A guy management gave up on and now he is one of the better agitators in the NHL and he puts up points. I think Mallet has similar potential to a guy like him and could become a very efficient role player. You shouldn't give up on guys like this too early. Don't want the same mistake to happen again. Boy can he throw his fists around as well. He is still very young and has many years ahead of him to make it to the NHL. I still have faith in him.

Was it smart to draft him in the 2nd round? well that is a different discussion but you can't deny that there is something very interesting still left there.

Amen brotha

Good point on Roussel. At Mallet's age he had 9 points in 61 games to go along with a -13 at the AHL level (he was in our system too - dang it). In two NHL seasons Roussel has played as a 15/15 agitator.

He is more the exception than the rule, but they are very similar players.

Mallet is both physical and skilled enough to be an Antoine Roussel, he just needs to pull everything together. This year he needs to pull away from being a spare part and work up the lineup into a 3rd line role. I think if he plays physical, fights, and scores 20-30 points he could get a fourth line callup.

Hopefully with some Stability in Utica he could setup a nest and be an good role player on the 3rd and sometimes 2nd line. Not sure if he's coming tu Canucks main camp, but I would actually send him rightaway to Utica for him to settle in and have the best chance to perform in the A.

Archived