The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks-Gragnani, Oreskovich, Rome, Ebbett, Duco and Parent Not Qualified, Unrestricted Free Agents

Danimal

I'm confused.

So the Canucks mgmt actually thought Gragnani would help them in the playoffs? Because I thought they played him all those games at the end of season to get him to RFA status. And now he's not worth a QO of $550,000?

And they shopped Gragnani around but had no takers? Seriously? Not even a pick? That's not good.

When it comes to trades the Canuck's scouting is starting to get really concerning. Of course I'm assuming they look at players before trades but who knows, maybe they don't... because it sure doesn't seem that way. Luckily Gillis has had a better luck with free agent signings. But every trade Gillis makes worries me now.

Grangani is absolutely horrible. I don't see where the love for this sack of pudding is coming from? His rare flashes of offense don't even come close to making up for how much of a liability this guy is out there.

Did nobody see him play with Buffalo? The fans were calling for his head in the end.

I definitely wouldn't have minded to have Gragnani and Duco for at least another year. Quite devastated that other teams will have a chance to steal our prized possession; Aaron Rome that is.

People need to remember that Gragnani had no value and was in Buffalo's dog house when he was acquired. The deal was essentially, Kassian for Hodgson. Not surprised that no team tried to make a deal, especially since he was heavily rumored to be in trade talks when he was on the Buffalo squad. There were no takers at that point either, the Canucks probably just took him for the hell of it. Neither Sulzer or Gragnani were utilized before the trade.

I heard Gillis on 1040 a week or so ago saying that Gragnani was qualified. This news says to me that something else has come up. I'd suggest that Schultz is a big chance to come to the Canucks as Rome has also not been offered a new deal.

Regarding Ebbett, he's a little unlucky I guess but IIRC Sami Pahlsson reportedly said something like Canucks have something big coming up when he was asked why he didn't re-sign in Vancouver. Could this also mean something for why Ebbett wasn't signed? I can't help but think Gillis has some moves he's ready to make and the thing that's likely holding it up is probably the goaltender situation. The sooner that scenario is cleared up the better IMO. So many rumours about who may be coming to Vancouver, Garrison, Schultz etc.

I hate the off season but I'm really hating this off season so far. So much uncertainty about the Canucks (Luongo/Schneider and rumours re Garrison, Schultz etc.) and the pending NHLPA and NHL CBA discussions and lockout possibility. Not sure I could survive another lockout...

I heard Gillis on 1040 a week or so ago saying that Gragnani was qualified. This news says to me that something else has come up. I'd suggest that Schultz is a big chance to come to the Canucks as Rome has also not been offered a new deal.

Regarding Ebbett, he's a little unlucky I guess but IIRC Sami Pahlsson reportedly said something like Canucks have something big coming up when he was asked why he didn't re-sign in Vancouver. Could this also mean something for why Ebbett wasn't signed? I can't help but think Gillis has some moves he's ready to make and the thing that's likely holding it up is probably the goaltender situation. The sooner that scenario is cleared up the better IMO. So many rumours about who may be coming to Vancouver, Garrison, Schultz etc.

I hate the off season but I'm really hating this off season so far. So much uncertainty about the Canucks (Luongo/Schneider and rumours re Garrison, Schultz etc.) and the pending NHLPA and NHL CBA discussions and lockout possibility. Not sure I could survive another lockout...

You know I really question this teams ability to judge talent... first in the Ballard trade Oreskovich had to be part of the deal and was the deal breaker for the 1st rounder, then MAG had to be coming back in the Hodgson trade and they had their eye on him for over a year and now we just let them both go.

Kassian will be a key contributer in the future so I don't think it was a bad trade. MAG wanted a roster spot and we can not afford to keep a guy who still can not perform consistantly on the roster when we have Tanev ready to slot back in the line-up. OERO never wanted to fight or hit and thought he had play making abilities like Wayne Gretzky. Duco would be the only guy I would keep but this guy does not have the speed to play in the NHL. I would say good move by Gillis overall.

MAG had top-4 potential but is basically a smarter, better offensive version of Parent.

Duco should have stuck, his game is built for the playoffs and his fiestiness is something our forwards lack. Size probably hurt him here when it really shouldn't of.

Ebbett is a great 5th depth centerman but again, size is clearly an issue and MG is looking for bigger, better options (probably eyeing Gaustad).

Oreo, Rome and Parent should have been kicked out of this organization a long time ago.

Archived