The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

Calm down. I don't get why the Canucks fan should be mad. It's not like he has a set spot on this roster anyways. Sure, it would be nice to have him but now he gets to develop in Edmonton. The Canucks need to win now, and already have Tanev playing the kid. We need a veteran defense man.

Him being a fan means nothing, and him wanting minutes is ideal. He's done nothing wrong here, folks. It's not his fault the media was all over his butt.

Dammit, that Edmonton team is gunna destroy everyone in the NW Divison when all there young player's reach there potential, we better win the cup now cause when that happens it will be like the 80's all over again for Vancouver fans.

WIth an arena that is falling apart, no quality D (except a skinny kid who has never played a game in the NHL), an unproven goalie, a revolving door of coaches, an ownership group that doesn't like to spend money and a core group who will all be hitting FA expecting major raises at the same time....sure looks like Edmonton has all their ducks in a row, alright.

What happened to him being a hardcore Canucks fan?

AV probably turned him off. That and the fact he's going to a team with future superstars in the making and a guaranteed top minutes as a top 4 defenseman. Oh and opportunities for the betterment of his career.

Not hard to put 2 and 2 together!

You have to understand the thinking of a 21 year old. It's not a reflection on the Canucks organization. As a 21 year old, would you prefer to join a group full of other early 20`s, who hang out together, share apartments, goof together in the dressing room.. or a group of mostly veterans who have families, nice guys, but a different generation, you know, the sedins, hamhuis, bieksa, salo, malhotra, burrows, higgins..I mean the bulk of the team is veterans.There is no way it`s the same dynamics in both rooms.

Meanwhile at Gary Robert's secret training camp word has leaked out that Chris Tanev's slapper is now being clocked at 96 mph and accelerating! :shock:

I hope where ever Schultz goes that things work out for him. I thought Van was a good fit for him. If the problem was ice time then I can agree with the Canucks not BSing by saying what he wanted to hear. Signing Schultz as the 2nd right side dman would have been a gamble for a serious CUP contender. If he had signed I still thought a Bryan Allen made sense. What will really hurt is if this kid's projections are accurate and he becomes a Norris quality dman. I guess they can pitch him again in 2 years.

Is what you're saying about Tanev's shot true?

Jeez the Oilers are gonna be a very difficult team to beat in a few years

Disagreed entirely. Very beatable and their progression of rushing kids has not done them any benefits. I guarantee they will be nothing like the Pens. Difference? Pens did it right, Oilers don't have guys are difference makers.

I just cant get over the hype on this punk ? He has never touched NHL ice and he is demanding the world ? This guy thinks he is a top four out of the BOX ? ARE you frakking kidding me ?

Punk?

It's supply and demand. If he's led to believe he'll get more ice time in one place over another, why wouldn't he take it? I don't see any demands here, I see someone with options who made a choice he thought would help his development. Whether it's the right one or not is beside the point.

F**K schultz, his loss.

our lineup without any additions so far:

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Salo?

ballard-Tanev

still better than edmonton's crap defence. Edmonton's gonna get a cup in a few years, but after those elc's burn up, ohhh man its gonna bea garage sale up in there.

Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed about this and can't wait until tomorrow to see how Gillis reacts.

You can't blame the guy for making a decision that will affect his entire career which says a little something about our team and how we treat our young players.

I think AV is a good coach but MG made a mistake bringing him back.. we needed to move on and needed someone who's willing to make bolder moves and let the kids make some mistakes.

MG said that we're trying to emulate Detroit's organization but the entire vibe just feels different.. guys like helm and abdelkaeder got the chance to prove themselves while so many of our touted prospects didn't get anywhere.

I know AV has let a few guys grow like Burrows, Edler, Bieksa, Tanev.. but it seems like there are more instances where he possibly dropped the ball

Archived